Schematic Handling Functions Independent of Minetest

duane
GitHub: duane-r

Schematic Handling Functions Independent of Minetest

by duane » Post

I'm not sure how useful this will be to anyone, but I cobbled together these functions for building and doctoring schematics without having to run the game. They require the lua zlib library (and lua itself, natch). This is a lot more convenient for me, when I'm making changes to an mts file.

There's no documentation, but you can see some examples I've used at the bottom of the file. I just add a function for each operation and run the whole script. It's really handy for replacing the node names when moving a schematic from one mod to another.
Attachments
schematic_util.zip
(2.16 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
Believe in people and you don't need to believe anything else.

Gael de Sailly
GitHub: gaelysam
IRC: Gael-de-Sailly
In-game: Gael-de-Sailly gaelysam

Re: Schematic Handling Functions Independent of Minetest

by Gael de Sailly » Post

Interesting idea to develop. I suppose that since it's completely independant from the game, there is no need to use Lua, and for this kind of manipulations I'd prefer Python. A basic Python installation can handle zlib compression and access SQLite database quite easily.

I've been looking for a good schematics editor for a long time, and I'm still asking myself about how some people like you manage to create good MT schematics (especially with probs). I've already tried to export a schematic to a Lua file and modify probs node by node, and then convert into MTSM format, it works, but it's tedious.
I think this could help modders to deal with schematics, even if I've not looked inside your code in details for now.
Just realize how bored we would be if the world was perfect.