2 Block Tall Node?

GamingAssociation39
GitHub: Gerold55
IRC: Gerold55
In-game: Gerold55

2 Block Tall Node?

by GamingAssociation39 » Post

Question: How do you do a 2 block node where you place it down and 2 blocks appear? I need to create a fridge so can someone help me?
Jesus Is Lord and Savior!!!

hajo

Re: 2 Block Tall Node?

by hajo » Post

GamingAssociation39 wrote:How do you do a 2 block node where you place it down and 2 blocks appear?
Do you mean like a sapling growing into a tree,
or like corn that looks like it is occupying a 2nd node above the actual plant ?

GamingAssociation39
GitHub: Gerold55
IRC: Gerold55
In-game: Gerold55

by GamingAssociation39 » Post

Sort of like a bed but vertical so when you place it down 2 nodes are attached to each other
Jesus Is Lord and Savior!!!

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Post

There are two options that I am aware of:
  • Define the block as a single node with a nodebox and selection box that occupies the space of two nodes and an appropriately sized texture. This requires automatically placing an invisible second node from an on_place callback, and removing that same node from an after_place_node callback. The second node must be non-pointable and non-diggable, but otherwise walkable. (Example: doors)
  • Define the block as two nodes, each with separate textures and separate nodeboxes. This requires automatically placing the second node from an on_place callback, and removing that same node from an after_place_node callback. The first node must have a selection box that occupies the space of two nodes, whereas the selection box for the second node must be empty. (Example: beds)
Which option you choose is ultimately a matter of personal choice. I know it's a bit confusing, so I'd check out the mods suggested above.

Nathan.S
GitHub: NathanSalapat
IRC: NathanS21
In-game: NathanS21

by Nathan.S » Post

I don't believe that you actually need an invisible node as Sorcerykid mentioned. I've made nodes that are two nodes tall, and as long as the selection and collision box extend into the second node it is impossible to place anything in that node space. I'm not sure how the engine would handle a falling node, such as sand or gravel that landed on the node, but outside of that I've never had any problems with it.
I record Minetest videos, Mod reviews, Modding tutorials, and Lets plays.
Check out my website, and brand new Minetest Modding Course

Byakuren
GitHub: raymoo
IRC: Hijiri
In-game: Raymoo + Clownpiece

by Byakuren » Post

Nathan.S wrote:I don't believe that you actually need an invisible node as Sorcerykid mentioned. I've made nodes that are two nodes tall, and as long as the selection and collision box extend into the second node it is impossible to place anything in that node space. I'm not sure how the engine would handle a falling node, such as sand or gravel that landed on the node, but outside of that I've never had any problems with it.
Is that just a client-side check though? If it is, an user with a modified client could place things there. A mod might also mistakenly treat the space as air and do something with it.
Every time a mod API is left undocumented, a koala dies.

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

just make a model and use node_type = "mesh" ... done
lazy man's way but...
A Wonderful World

Nathan.S
GitHub: NathanSalapat
IRC: NathanS21
In-game: NathanS21

by Nathan.S » Post

Byakuren wrote:
Nathan.S wrote:I don't believe that you actually need an invisible node as Sorcerykid mentioned. I've made nodes that are two nodes tall, and as long as the selection and collision box extend into the second node it is impossible to place anything in that node space. I'm not sure how the engine would handle a falling node, such as sand or gravel that landed on the node, but outside of that I've never had any problems with it.
Is that just a client-side check though? If it is, an user with a modified client could place things there. A mod might also mistakenly treat the space as air and do something with it.
I believe it is client side. The space is technically air, so yes a mod could possibly place something there.
I record Minetest videos, Mod reviews, Modding tutorials, and Lets plays.
Check out my website, and brand new Minetest Modding Course

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

this is why there is an "invisible node" in doors.
A Wonderful World

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Post

The invisible node is necessary as a placeholder. Excluding it could lead to unwanted side effects since the engine would treat the upper node as air. Some mods (like bones, for example) automatically place nodes wherever there is air.