Style guide for automated api.txt?

SonosFuer
GitHub: apachano
IRC: SonosFuer
In-game: SonosFuer

Style guide for automated api.txt?

by SonosFuer » Post

I want to propose a style guide for formatting api.txt files. I think it would be beneficial for the information to be able to be collected by a script then transferred into other resources such as collected api guides and resources for IDE's. What do you guys think?
Working on a content database for minetest mods, servers, and etc Check it out and give me feedback at viewtopic.php?f=14&t=18137

Pyrollo
Developer
GitHub: pyrollo
In-game: Naj

Re: Style guide for automated api.txt?

by Pyrollo » Post

I think it could be good to keep compatible with documentation from source code systems like those ones :

http://lua-users.org/wiki/DocumentingLuaCode
[ Display Modpack ] - [ Digiterms ] - [ Crater MG ] - [ LATE ]

ChimneySwift
GitHub: ChimneySwift
IRC: ChimneySwift
In-game: ChimneySwift

by ChimneySwift » Post

Is it just me or would it be beneficial to make it a .md file rather than a .txt file, as many text editors do syntax highlighting for markdown documents and GitHub shows them in a much easier to read format. I know I always change the file extension of files like this (eg, lua_api.txt). Obviously this is assuming they're written in markdown in the first place.
A spoon is basically a tiny bowl with a stick on it

SonosFuer
GitHub: apachano
IRC: SonosFuer
In-game: SonosFuer

by SonosFuer » Post

Structuring in markdown could be beneficial but it could also provide issues with automation. If you want to automate pulling from the api file you need a specifically structured api file, almost as if it is code itself. You could do it but I feel like it would distract from the importance of machine readability when developers are filling it out.

You could also have an automated script take from the api file and print out a well formatted md file.
Working on a content database for minetest mods, servers, and etc Check it out and give me feedback at viewtopic.php?f=14&t=18137

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

The file is already structured in MD form, it just isn't .MD as you then can't link to lines on github
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader