Teamwork

SonosFuer
GitHub: apachano
IRC: SonosFuer
In-game: SonosFuer

Teamwork

by SonosFuer » Post

Hey guys, it has been discussed in multiple places that the number one thing slowing the development in the community is a lack of teamwork. There are a lot of projects that die because the developer alone can not complete everything. I personally have also noticed that there are a lot of people who want to help but don't know where to start. I want to start a trend to help people find projects to contribute to. If you are a project manager (you came up with the idea and manage the forum posting for it) and you need another member on your team, or maybe just a little help, add a [Help Wanted] tag to your post title to let these contributors know where they can help. If you do this please include some details in your initial post on what you need help with. (Graphics, sounds, code, etc?) If we do this then hopefully it will be easier to join the community and projects will go further and last longer than they do now.
Working on a content database for minetest mods, servers, and etc Check it out and give me feedback at viewtopic.php?f=14&t=18137

Lejo
GitHub: Lejo1
In-game: Lejo

Re: Teamwork

by Lejo » Post

It‘s a Good Idea, but there are already methods.
PR on Github and the lable Help wanted.
On the Forum you just have post your Question/Problem in the right Subforum.

SonosFuer
GitHub: apachano
IRC: SonosFuer
In-game: SonosFuer

by SonosFuer » Post

Lejo wrote:It‘s a Good Idea, but there are already methods.
PR on Github and the lable Help wanted.
On the Forum you just have post your Question/Problem in the right Subforum.
For Minetest's GitHub help wanted is for engine development, not mods. Placing the tag on your mod only does a little, especially if you may need graphic design person where Github is not their environment of choice.

As far as pasting for help I mean putting together teams not just getting a quick problem fixed.
Working on a content database for minetest mods, servers, and etc Check it out and give me feedback at viewtopic.php?f=14&t=18137

bell07
GitHub: bell07

by bell07 » Post

SonosFuer wrote:
Lejo wrote:PR on Github and the lable Help wanted
For Minetest's GitHub help wanted is for engine development, not mods.
The most considerable mods are on github (or other Git compatible services) in the meantime, see for "sources" link in mod-topics. So github is not for engine development only. Git achieved to be the preferred colaboration tool. Of course not all "potential helpers" understand git or have github account. But at least browse trough open issues on github page give you idea if the project needs help. My assumption: ALL projects can make good use of help. The best way to help is of course to create a pull request on github so the project owner just needs to click to "Merge".

In Forum "Modding Discussion" we have Post your mod texture requests here pinned, each persona can start own topic with "I can do textures for you!". But I have to admit if I write a mod I do not look for such topics, just write the mod as I need and can, and parts I not can I just ommit.

I am glad any time if anyone like to help me, but the question "What I can do for your project" I cannot answer most times. If anyone provides new or improved (=beter then current) textures and sound for my mods, allways welcome.

EDIT: Oposite direction: I know they are a lot of people that can create great content (textures, sounds, documentations) but is less able to write Lua. Instead of seach for projects contribute to the people can start own project and request developers if anyone can contribute the lua lines. This direction works even not optimal, but it works too. See viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17910&#p300947 for example (see posts before and after the help request)