CLOSED Multi Map proof of concept

Beerholder
GitHub: evrooije
In-game: Beerholder

CLOSED Multi Map proof of concept

by Beerholder » Post

Hi all, after some time off, I started coding/ modding for Minetest again yay :) This time I am looking into something I want to call [MOD] Multiple Map Layers [multi_map] which I want to use for a new subgame that I started working on a week or so ago. I am posting here first before the WIP mod section to discuss the idea a bit and get some feedback, and would like to have something more concrete before posting the mod in the WIP section :)

This very simple piece of code is still very alpha, and to just share the idea, have a working PoC people can try out. Lots of stuff is still missing and lots of work to do, but I wanted to get the basic concept working first, share the idea and a bit of code ...

EDIT changed link: https://github.com/evrooije/multi_map

"Problem":

Standard mapgen generates stone all the way down and requires carving out subworld terrain instad of (re)using the same logic of terrain generation for all layers. To use the sky more effectively, again (different) mods or floatlands can be used but oceans are an issue and the complexity having to deal with multiple mods is increased. Many times, only a few layers (or a single one in case of the sky) are added and a lot of space on the Y axis is still not used effectively. There is not really a straightforward, simple way to increase the usable area of a world.

Proposal and goals:

Create a singlenode pure Lua map generator that allows generation of multiple layers of terrain and ocean stacked on the Y axis, or, multiple worlds if you will. To effectively use all the available space on the Y axis that would otherwise be occupied by stone and air, without having to go through a lot of effort. Each layer using the same logic to create the terrain, each layer having its own ocean and eventually biomes, ore generation, etc. To simulate a world area larger than the current "limitation" of 65536x65536 nodes.

E.g. using 8 layers will "increase the area" to 524288x524288 nodes, each layer being 8192 high. Using 16 layers offers an area of 1048576x1048576, each layer being 4096 high. Please note, this obviously will not (and cannot) offer a seamless transition from one layer to another and requires a travel mechanism from one layer to another.

Pics or it didn't happen, an extreme case of 1024 layers each 64 blocks high.

I want to make something that will run out of the box, but also offer a framework that modders can easily customize or extend. Some of the additional things I have in mind (feel free to add any in the comments):
  • Every layer will have its own noise for the height map, giving each layer an unique terrain (next on my list)
  • Optional "bedrock" and a way to plugin existing bedrock mods by e.g. setting bedrock node type in module's configuration, other (optional) mechanisms to avoid normal player travel between layers
  • Optional invisible impenetrable layer to avoid seeing the bottom of the next layer up, as suggested by GreenDimond and hopefully to also avoid lighting problems as pointed out by duane
  • Hooks for custom terrain generation logic, or use the one supplied by the mod
  • Optional mechanism for travel between the worls (i.e. portals), but of course it can be switched off and subgame developers can implement their own travel mechanism or integrate existing portal mods
  • Customizable number of layers and an optional zoning system allowing sane display of coordinates (e.g. coordinates displayed as "Zone: 6; Position: 10.5, 15.0, -18.4" where the Y is offset based on the zone to show "sane" coordinates). This will not change the debug coordinates of course, just something to show on the HUD
  • Zone numbering (as per above) or zone naming (e.g. "Zone: Nether; Position: 10.5, 15.0, -18.4")
  • Pushing zone information as parameter for terrain generators, e.g. allowing different map generator code per layer (besides the obvious changes one can do with the perlin noise parameters), different biomes and decorations (e.g. jungle zone, desert zone, etc.), etc.
  • Pluggable decorators and ore generators, again with zone information supplied so it can be changed or tweaked per layer
And of course the usual: Caves, biomes (temperature/ humidity maps), dungeons, floatlands, etc.

Let me know what you think or if you have any comments!
Last edited by Beerholder on Tue Jul 24, 2018 18:14, edited 5 times in total.

GreenXenith
GitHub: GreenXenith

Re: Multi Map proof of concept

by GreenXenith » Post

Something I have thought of many times for this sort of method is a "sky bedrock" sort of thing.
Basically, an invisible, non-pointable block that generates ~6 chunks below the bedrock of the next layer, thus making a fake "top of the world" that hopefully keeps the map above from generating and being viewed, and allows the sky to still be viewed.
Food for thought.
YouTube | Mods | Patreon | Minetest Discord @greenxenith

You should not be able to read this message.

duane
GitHub: duane-r

by duane » Post

Have you had any problems with lighting or shadow propagation? That always caused me headaches.
Believe in people and you don't need to believe anything else.

Beerholder

by Beerholder » Post

GreenDimond wrote:Something I have thought of many times for this sort of method is a "sky bedrock" sort of thing.
Basically, an invisible, non-pointable block that generates ~6 chunks below the bedrock of the next layer, thus making a fake "top of the world" that hopefully keeps the map above from generating and being viewed, and allows the sky to still be viewed.
Food for thought.
Yes absolutely crossed my mind too, some way to avoid seeing the bottom, and to be honest I think the invisible impenetrable layer is the way to go. Thanks :-)

@duane, I haven't run into those yet, the current PoC focuses on the layers and has full lighting. I need to turn normal lighting on again and see what it does. Hopefully the invisible layer suggested by GD and limited shadow propagation avoids that ... knock on wood O_o

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

Nice, this is something i have been interested in for a long time.

You can stop shadow propagation at any Y level using the bool in the Lua Voxel Manipulator https://github.com/minetest/minetest/bl ... .txt#L3041 set it to false for 1 layer of mapchunks at the border between stacked realms.

However that only stops mapgen shadows, it is possible (although unlikely) that building just under the border may cause the shadow of the upper realm to be propagated down, but only if you build under the border then build downwards.
This can be avoided by creating an inaccessible gap between levels at least a mapchunk (80 nodes) thick.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Some of my mods may be useful as Lua Mapgen examples, especially viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10888

GreenXenith
GitHub: GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

paramat wrote:This can be avoided by creating an inaccessible gap between levels at least a mapchunk (80 nodes) thick.
Yes, this is what the "sky bedrock" idea would do. I don't know what the distance needs to be though, so if one mapchunk does the trick, great!
YouTube | Mods | Patreon | Minetest Discord @greenxenith

You should not be able to read this message.

Beerholder

by Beerholder » Post

paramat wrote:Some of my mods may be useful as Lua Mapgen examples, especially viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10888
Awesome, thanks for the pointers and the link to your mod paramat! Will do some changes and testing with the propagate_shadow flag, have a good close look at this mod and sift through your Github for some more ;) P.s. floatlands inspired me to do this :) P.p.s. floatland support as an option has been on my mind to fill the gap above the terrain and below the next layer (as there still is unused space above the terrain, and quite a lot of you only use just a few layers ...)

Anyways, as for the latest changes, I have added bedrock and "skyrock" nodes. I separated everything properly with init.lua dofiling the mapgen and proper namespaces (at first I just modified the mapgen in default in minimal)

Right now it also uses x amount of noises for x amount of layers so each layer now has its own terrain map and unique terrain. Woohoo

I was at first a bit worried, but memory wise it seems to do okay knock on wood, in the range of 2.0 - 2.3 GB virtual so far. This remains to be seen when combined with more mods and humidity/ temperature noises of course... Keeping a close eye on that too O_o

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Having a different 2D noise per layer is an issue i have come across in core mapgen.

A possible solution, no idea if it will work:
Have 1 noise for terrain but alter the seed for each layer, make the seed Y-dependent. To do this the 'noise object' will have to be redefined per mapchunk. Just have 1 noise object and re-initialise it every mapchunk, to avoid multiple noise objects using lots of memory.

Also see viewtopic.php?f=18&t=19836 for latest advice on good practice in lua mapgens.

Beerholder

by Beerholder » Post

paramat wrote:Having a different 2D noise per layer is an issue i have come across in core mapgen.
<snip>
Also see viewtopic.php?f=18&t=19836 for latest advice on good practice in lua mapgens.
Mmmmh food for thought. I considered using a single 3D noise and only use the noise values of certain "Y slices" in the noise as a possible approach for having multiple 2D terrain maps, e.g. using a slice of y=0, then y=4096 (or 2048 depending on number of layers), etc.

On using a single 2D nose, altering the seed, I haven't even considered that ... I could keep track of the "latest used" noise layer and only re-initialize when the map chunk generated is different from the last one used/ missing from cache, but OTOH this does not work well multiplayer and not sure how much the overhead is in the initialization. I'll put some timers in my local version to see what it does.

But also, the more I am looking at the density gradient approach in order to support a single noise, the more I think it is a very good candidate for supporting multiple layers (since, if you go to the next layer, Y is so much different that it would render a completely different terrain anyways, I would expect).

I am now in the stage of decoupling mapgen code and looking into pluggable mapgens, so to retrofit one or more of your density gradient mapgens so that they can be plugged in would be a good test for the "extensibility part" of multi_map so to say :)

With a bit of luck it will just be a matter of using the "offset Y" (a.k.a. Y relative to a layer's Y center point) to the density calculation ... Knock on wood ... :)

Beerholder

by Beerholder » Post

Jeez ... Whoever thought a world side length of 61840 was a good idea ... What's wrong with 65536 -_-

Sorry, just ranting

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

@Beerholder Please check out how the map generator works before ranting. Instead of generating 16³ nodes (mapblocks), it generates 5³ mapblocks at once, which are then called "chunk". This may makes the map generator look a bit slow, but is more efficient at the end because less contents have to be written outside the current mapblock (schematics, like trees).
To ensure the map generator doesn't run into a coordinate overflow and for simplicity, the map is limited to 31000m in each direction. Since 31000 is no multiple of 5 (chunksize) * 16 (blocksize), it's a little bit smaller than that.
Change the constant (and maybe also your map_meta.txt setting) if you really want to see what happens with 0x7FFF.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Beerholder

by Beerholder » Post

Nah don't want to change that, as I know it could break things exactly due to potential missing bounds checks and the possibility of overflows, it not being compatible with standard MT configurations users may have, etc. Not gonna go there... Problem is that my original idea was to just use nice multiples, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32 layers, and generate these from e.g. -2048 to 2048, 2048 to 6144, etc.

This worked perfectly when I had everything (bedrock, skyrock, terrain) in a single loop that strided on the Y axis and generated the bedrock/ skyrock, though with a minor misalignment near the world borders.

I am now rewriting it to separate bedrock/ skyrock generation and the terrain generation. I thought it would be handy and efficient to generate the bedrock/ skyrock from minp to maxp in order to avoid having two loops iterating over zyx (one for bedrock/ skyrock and a separate one for terrain). This is where I immediately ran into the issue of misalignment of course.

It's too late for this at this stage of engine development obviously, but as to writing outside of world boundaries, a bounds check is the easiest thing there is... 4^3 or 8^3 are options for number of mapblocks to generate, that would align with sane 16 bits. Also, sorry to say, but limiting the world size just to avoid these overflows and for simplicity sounds like "lazyness" to me ;-) I'm sure though the code was put together quickly in order to get something to work, possibly 5^3 worked better for the lower end devices at that time, other things may not have knowledge of and at some stage it's not worth changing. And I guess I just like my powers of 2 :-(

Alas, MT engine is the way it is, and I am already working around it. Just need to rewrite to stack the layers going from -30912 (or user specified mapchunk) up and allow the user to specify height (in mapchunks) and number of layers to stack.

*Including a bounds check* to avoid stacking above 30927 X-))> (sorry for rubbing it in ;-)

Beerholder

by Beerholder » Post

Ok, sooooo... All is mapchunk aligned now and stacked from -30912 upwards. It was a bit of a brain teaser but it seems to work well... I have turned the repo into a modpack. There now is a separate multi_map_core with the purpose to do all the layer calculations, generating bedrock/ skyrock if configured and making sure lighting is correct below the skyrock layer.

Also in the modpack is a simple test mapgen that generates stone below 0, air above. It properly offsets the actual y level to a y level relative to the current layer, so within the mapgen it's a matter of just testing whether y < 0 or y >= 0, as simple as that.

https://github.com/evrooije/multi_map

E.g. for 24 layers, each 32 mapchunks high (2560 nodes), layer 12 is around the y origin. It starts at -192 and extends to 2368. Its absolute y center point is 1088. When getting the offset y/ relative y of 1088, you will get 0. Everything below 1088 is stone, until the mapchunk layer of bedrock (-192 to 112). Everything above is air until the 2 mapchunk high layer of skyrock (from 2208 to 2368). Then the next layer starts, with its own y center point, but again when getting the offset y for this center point you get 0.

For 3D noises this means one must use the *absolute y value*. If you want to do height dependent calculations relative to "y = 0", you need to use the offset y.

Tomorrow I will modify levels/ lvm_example and see if I can plug them in, make them work with absolute y and offset/ relative y at the right places, and then hopefully stack those mapgens! Then externalize some of the settings and provide some basic API for setting number of layers, layer height, etc. and after that, I might as well move this alpha version to WIP mods :D

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

The reason i discussed 2D noise with variable seed is because 3D noise is very intensive and also tends to create overhangs that you may not want. For some terrain aspects 2D noise will be essential.

For chunksize i recommend 4^3 instead of 8^3, since the default 5^3 already requires large noisemaps, especially for 3D noise. Also, the larger the mapchunk the longer the server lag will be when one is generated. Lua mapgens are near unusable on multiplayer servers due to the server lag caused.

DrFrankenstone
GitHub: treer

by DrFrankenstone » Post

The different "worlds" in Beerarchy are excellent, it really adds to the exploration and discovery.
Beerholder wrote:Create a singlenode pure Lua map generator that allows generation of multiple layers of terrain

original idea was to just use nice multiples, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32 layers, and generate these from e.g. -2048 to 2048, 2048 to 6144, etc.
I know you want to avoid half the map being rock, but if the Lua map generator is configurable to only generate layers above <some value> (or in a specified range), it allows it to be used singlenode pure or to optionally be combined with a conventional mapgen. Even if that wastes the bottom 31000 blocks, the top 31000 blocks will still allow many layers, and the choice of "legacy" mapgens mean you get another genuinely distinct layer.

Beerholder

by Beerholder » Post

DrFrankenstone wrote:The different "worlds" in Beerarchy are excellent, it really adds to the exploration and discovery.
Thanks to duane's wonderful underworlds mod :)
DrFrankenstone wrote:I know you want to avoid half the map being rock, but if the Lua map generator is configurable to only generate layers above <some value> (or in a specified range), it allows it to be used singlenode pure or to optionally be combined with a conventional mapgen.
The current code actually allows you to set the level where to start stacking the layers, it should work if you set it higher ... ... I'll test that and see what happens and I'll remove the bit where it forces mapgen to singlenode so that you could use it for e.g. above 4000-5000 upwards

@paramat, will have a look at the 2D noise with variable seed as well! :)

Beerholder

by Beerholder » Post

EDIT 3: I'll be darned, setting water level to -31000 fixed the lighting problems for layers below y = 0 as per viewtopic.php?f=47&t=4668&p=197508&hili ... ht#p197508 ... O_o

Guess it's good news and good news then :D

Hi paramat, well, I have good news and bad news. The good news is that it was extremely easy to retrofit levels into the multi_map framework. The bad news is that in my test setup I have a levels layer below y = 0, and this is where shadows seem to get messed up.

On the left when I do not do set_lighting, on the right when I do set_lighting to set day to 15 and night to 0:

What's more, when I "fix" the problem with day=15, night=0, it does not seem to cast shadows under e.g. the "natural bridges" and overhangs anymore :(

Although I didn't find anything yet on the forums, I'll keep digging and might have a look at the engine code, but maybe you know from the top of your head if there is any special behavior for y < 0 ... Or maybe I did mess up disabling the shadow propagation, but that should work as far as I can tell ... For the skyrock case I most definitely do:

Code: Select all

local vm, emin, emax = minetest.get_mapgen_object("voxelmanip")
local area = VoxelArea:new({MinEdge = emin, MaxEdge = emax})
local vm_data = vm:get_data()

multi_map.generate_singlenode_chunk(minp, maxp, area, vm_data, multi_map.c_skyrock)
vm:set_lighting({day=15, night=0})
vm:set_data(vm_data)
vm:calc_lighting(false) -- <-----
vm:write_to_map(false)
Retrofitted levels mapgen is: https://github.com/evrooije/multi_map/b ... levels.lua

Anyways, your mapgen expertise is always much appreciated! :)

EDIT: Just tested levels layer at around y = 3700 and it works properly there not specifying day/ night levels:

EDIT 2: Is this relevant ...? Will give this a try too ...... viewtopic.php?f=47&t=4668&p=197508&hili ... ht#p197508

EDIT 3: Yes that was relevant, problem solved! On to more testing of the lighting in the lava layer

Beerholder

by Beerholder » Post

And obviously setting the water level to -31000 causes issues with the underground lava caves being lit as if they are above ground -_-

Culprit is in the engine, it will spread sunlight if above the water level in mapgen.cpp Mapgen::propagateSunlight:

Code: Select all

bool block_is_underground = (water_level >= nmax.Y);
<snip to some for loop that generates light but continues (skips) code to set the node's param1>
if (block_is_underground)
	continue;
So clearly this is a limitation in the engine :-(

I'll see if I can somehow rebuild this bit in Lua and set the nolight flag on the mapgen. Alternative is to have a dynamic global water level and resetting it for every layer, but alas from the API it can only be set once and making it so that it can be reset would require changes in the engine ...

As usual I always get more than I bargained for XD

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

I like the look of your terrain.

Yes 'water_level' is used to decide if light is coming from above if the mapchunk above is not yet generated, this is only a problem if you generate mapchunks upwards.
The core mapgen cave generation uses a clever trick to minimise this problem: It places a 1-node thick stone layer above the generating mapchunk (at y = maxp.y + 1) and overwrites that when the mapchunk above is generated.

> I'll see if I can somehow rebuild this bit in Lua and set the nolight flag on the mapgen. Alternative is to have a dynamic global water level and resetting it for every layer

I advise against both of those ideas. It's best to set water_level = -31000 in your type of mapgen and using other methods to deal with light.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Hmm i see you have recreated the engine's mapgen lighting in lua, this is not a good idea as Lua is too slow to do this at a reasonable speed. It's also unnecessary as other methods can be used to solve the problem. It's always best to use the engine's lighting code as Lua mapgens are already slow and cause problematic lag on a server.

Beerholder

by Beerholder » Post

paramat wrote:Hmm i see you have recreated the engine's mapgen lighting in lua, this is not a good idea as Lua is too slow to do this at a reasonable speed. It's also unnecessary as other methods can be used to solve the problem. It's always best to use the engine's lighting code as Lua mapgens are already slow and cause problematic lag on a server.
Oops, am already halfway there XD But you are absolutely right... I just got propagate_sunlight to work and pushed my latest bit of Lua lighting code. That is however just the shadow casting. It sort of works singleplayer and keeps up with me moving with fast enabled through the world. But it is definitely slower, I get lots of lighting bugs and the shadows are hard. And I have not even done the (recursive) light spreading, I would expect that to be even more of a hit on performance ... Besides it is a lot of work trying to translate C++ code I've never seen before to Lua ...

I'll put the pure Lua lighting code aside and focus on the stone layer. I really like the idea of the single layer of stone to cast a shadow! Sounds like a very promising approach :)

Thanks again paramat, much appreciated!

Beerholder

by Beerholder » Post

paramat (you mapgen hacker you!) ;-) It works perfectly! Thanks so much for pointing out this little trick! :-D

I did have a lot of shuffling around to do to make sure the "shadow caster" layer is created in the multi_map core (as I didn't want to bother map generator plugin developers with this), allowing the generator plugin to do its thing and then remove the layer again, *using a single vm_data array* (as I actually ran into an OOM initially due to multiple arrays being created O_o). So I had to put some effort in optimizing the memory usage.

That said, multi_map does allow for generators being chained (i.e. generator 1 is called and after that another one, for whatever reason a mod dev might come up with/ flexibility purposes). As such, having the vm_data retrieved only once and passing them on to generator plugins is a good thing also from this perspective. And mod devs no longer need to do the calls to set_data, calc_lighting, write_to_map in their generators of course.

Anyways, here is y ~ 3700, global water_level set at -31000. At this y position we are inside layer 13 which uses a retrofitted version of your levels mapgen. Layer 13 has its y centerpoint (ground level) at 3648, below this level the shadow casters are at work :D

Above (relative) ground, everything is done normally, shadows are calculated properly by the engine, no interventions needed. Water looks good too, they have the nice transition from light to dark:

Below ground, the 1 node high shadow caster layers are used (and removed again after use), causing the engine to make the caves dark even though we are working well above water_level = -31000. Light emitting nodes such as lava also work properly as the engine's lighting calculation does the light spread for us as well:

Just to be on the safe side, I introduced an airlike/ invisible node, but with sunlight_propagates = false, called shadow caster, and using this instead of using stone. First of all, they can be easily detected for the removal step, second of all, if something goes wrong in the removal step they could be easily replaced with normal air later, but third of all, if for some reason they stay they are not really in the way either as it just appears as normal air :)

Though still quite some work to do, hopefully I will have something I can release in WIP Mods soon now. Thanks again for all your help!

Beerholder

Re: CLOSED Multi Map proof of concept

by Beerholder » Post

Thanks all for the feedback and help! [MOD] Multiple Map Layer Generator [multi_map] is close to first alpha release, so closing this thread and will post in WIP mods soon!! :-D