I have problems and doubts, do you help me?

Libanelo

I have problems and doubts, do you help me?

by Libanelo » Post

Hi, I'm starting with minetest programming and I have some doubts that I would like to be helped if you can.
I am currently doing a block that counts the empty air nodes (in the room that is placed, represents that it is on a wall) and replace them with an air node of my mod, then I would like to know how I can make the nodes of air of my mod have metadata like temperature, humidity and things like that, would be possible (and how to access those metadata from a function)?

PD: then would come to eliminate the nodes of the room if the block is broken and a little silly question is like making the ovens give more than one item (I see that it has more inventory tables (the oven) but I do not know how to put it in the code, if I have any questions, I will post it here thanks in advance

PD: If someone wants to join and know more about the project, they can ask for mp. I am using the google translator and my poor english, sorry for the inconvenience

ChimneySwift
GitHub: ChimneySwift
IRC: ChimneySwift
In-game: ChimneySwift

Re: I have problems and doubts, do you help me?

by ChimneySwift » Post

then I would like to know how I can make the nodes of air of my mod have metadata like temperature, humidity and things like that, would be possible (and how to access those metadata from a function)?
A node metadata object can be accessed via:

local meta = minetest.get_meta(pos) -- Get meta object for node at pos

With that you can set metadata as per the documentation:

https://github.com/minetest/minetest/bl ... .txt#L3185

To set/get an integer, you use:
meta:set_int("temp", 20)
local temp = meta:get_int("temp") -- returns "20"

Metadata will remain persistent through out server reboots
then would come to eliminate the nodes of the room if the block is broken
minetest.remove_node(pos) -- set node at pos to regular air

https://github.com/minetest/minetest/bl ... .txt#L2520

you can also set buildable_to = true in the air item def to make blocks placed on that block replace the block, for example when you place a block on grass it actually replaces the grass. Regular air has this set.
little silly question is like making the ovens give more than one item
As far as I'm aware, you should be able to set "output" in the cooking craft definition to "<item name> <number>", since this is just a serialized ItemStack eg "default:dirt 99" would output 99 dirt each time.

https://github.com/minetest/minetest/bl ... .txt#L1390
A spoon is basically a tiny bowl with a stick on it

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

I wrote this chapter on metadata and storage: https://rubenwardy.com/minetest_modding ... orage.html
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Libanelo

by Libanelo » Post

Thank you for responding, and been testing the information that you give me and for the moment everything is fine, as for the oven I was referring to how you can give more than two objects (example: burn 1 gold and refine it in X mineral and with X probability you can get the mineral Z, we go for a rudimentary system of refining, later I would like to do something better) the shots went that way.
And now I have another question as to how I can make the blocks when they are placed with the front facing the player? in blocks like a refrigerator and / or generator it is important to know how you are going to put them above all if you are to receive objects from the other sides (and not from the front xD) I am doing the nodeboxes with the node box editor that is the one they recommend, Thank you very much again to those who have answered and to those who respond now ;) :D

PS: in an air block can functions be done? I mean for example if there are 11 square blocks (a room of 11x11 air blocks) and in the middle of that space there is a block that emits cold or heat (at the moment I do not want to touch the issue of which temperature expands more than the other on one material or another) and I want if all the air blocks in that space are at 20 degrees and I want them to go down or up depending on what that block emits, how could it do it? Would I have to make an invisible block that manages all the surrounding blocks? I do not have much idea of ​​how to do it