WTFPL to be banned from Content DB soon (or not?)

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

WTFPL to be banned from Content DB soon (or not?)

by Wuzzy » Post

The developers are currently pushing very hard to ban WTFPL from the Content DB:

https://github.com/minetest/contentdb/issues/107
Last edited by Wuzzy on Fri May 03, 2019 12:03, edited 1 time in total.

Mantar

Re: WTFPL to be banned from Content DB soon

by Mantar » Post

Seems sensible to me, it's a crap license. More sensible would be to just mass-relicense all those mods, since the WTFPL allows it.
Lead dev of Exile, git repo: https://codeberg.org/Mantar/Exile

ShallowDweller

by ShallowDweller » Post

I just wish they mention there are other valid licenses than MIT in this planet.
Or at least give a definition of what a "substantial portion of the software" is and how to credit a modder whose mod has this license.
The ONLY reason I avoid touching the code of MIT-licensed mods like the plague is that one line about "substantial portions of the software". aaand i never remember if mit is a viral license like cc-by-sa or not
I don't mind using a viral license if I understand its terms but I would rather use a license that allows the derived works to use a different license if they don't like the one I chose.

There is also the fact that I'll have to do a research on how to credit the MIT mod's autor if I use a bit of their code in my mod, but then, all I'd have to do is some research.
I mean, can I just state somewhere that "this software is a rework of <insert name here> by <insert name here> and uses some code from <insert name here> by <insert name here>" or is there a SPECIFIC way to give them credit? (if so, how?)

I will give people credit even if I don't have to, but not having to means I can give them credit in any way that leaves it clear that they were important for my software's existence and functionality. Whereas having to give credit usualy means there are rules or a specific format in wich credit must be given.

Sorry about the rant. I've had problems with tecnical norms in the past. They are the main cause of my paranoia about whether I'm giving credits correctly. And I often feel like I'm asking a stupid question when I have to ask questions.

sofar
Developer
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

by sofar » Post

ShallowDweller wrote:Sorry about the rant. I've had problems with tecnical norms in the past. They are the main cause of my paranoia about whether I'm giving credits correctly. And I often feel like I'm asking a stupid question when I have to ask questions.
Next time, feel free to ask me, either in a PM or forum msg, or on IRC. I'd be happy to take a look and make sure you've got your bases covered. There are others that can help, of course, but I can't speak for them. So don't hesitate to ask.

ShallowDweller

by ShallowDweller » Post

sofar wrote:
ShallowDweller wrote:Sorry about the rant. I've had problems with tecnical norms in the past. They are the main cause of my paranoia about whether I'm giving credits correctly. And I often feel like I'm asking a stupid question when I have to ask questions.
Next time, feel free to ask me, either in a PM or forum msg, or on IRC. I'd be happy to take a look and make sure you've got your bases covered. There are others that can help, of course, but I can't speak for them. So don't hesitate to ask.
Thanks for the aid. I'll be sure to ask next time. Thank you ^-^

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

No matter if WTFPL is banned from Content DB or not, let me be perfectly clear here:

If you are using MIT or WTFPL'ed software, you should be perfectly safe, legally spoken.
With either license, you are free to use, re-use, remix, modify, share, share the modifications, copy, sell, sublicense the software without any permission.

People who slap one of those license on their mod DO want you to do whatever. That's the point! There is no reason to be afraid. It saddens me that there is so much fear. :(

I would be surprised if anyone gets into legal trouble for doing any of these things with MIT'ed software.

sofar
Developer
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

by sofar » Post

Wuzzy wrote:If you are using MIT or WTFPL'ed software, you should be perfectly safe, legally spoken.
If you are not a lawyer, you should probably not make statements like this. Maybe, just add "IANAL" to your posts, if you say stuff like this. Maybe you're right, but if you're wrong, someone is going to end up hurting, badly.

The WTFPL does not include a liability waiver. This means that it is up to the local jurisdiction as to what warranty or liability applies to software that you distribute, and, in some cases, may make you potentially liable for damages that occur if people use your software, something goes wrong, they identify you as a possible defendant, and take you to court.

Just from that perspective, I advise everyone to not take word from the forums, and if you're uncertain, avoid WTFPL. MIT has a liability waiver, so, it's a lot better, but even then due to the ambiguous wording in the MIT license, I would still prefer a most strongly worded license myself over it (i.e. ISC as I've mentioned before).

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

I was speaking from the licensee perspective, not the licensor perspective. The waiver is irrelevant for the licensee.

And yes, you're right. IANAL.

uwu

by uwu » Post

God bless.

WTFPL is a joke and should've never gotten as popular with mods as it has.

neoh4x0r
GitHub: neoh4x0r

by neoh4x0r » Post

uwu wrote:God bless.

WTFPL is a joke and should've never gotten as popular with mods as it has.
That acronym.....it is the "WTF people" license.

It claims it is a free license, but any code can then be re-licensed under a more restrictive non-free license.
Which basically means that this so called "free code" could now be copyrighted by someone and there is no protection from that company going after people using the code (claiming copyright/trademark/patent infringement, etc), even if it is under the WTFPL license.

This was the whole reason that that idea of "copyleft" was born (once code is licensed under copyleft it cannot be changed to non-copyleft and individual licenses might allow/disallow a re-license under another copyleft compatible license).

In fact, I would go as far as saying that WTFPL is just a fancy way of saying that a work is not copyrighted, and it is stupid because that has existed for as long as we have had the notion of attributing ownership to things, known as the public domain.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Even if the WTFPL is kind of a silly license, it does no real harm. It's still a libre license after all for obvious reasons. I find it hilarious that the devs seriously discuss banning it, as if it would be a really serious problem. Well, whatever, its not that there are similar licenses (CC0, MIT), so I don't even try to defend it anymore. So it's not the end of the world if the WTFPL has to die. Just a bit annoying.

But I just find it hilarious that a license that does only imaginary harm is going to get banned, but the license CC BY-NC (and other NonCommercial licenses) that is actually harmful is still perfectly fine with the core devs (even if almost nobody in our community uses it, thankfully), and no amount of discussion has changed that.

Perhaps with all this license discussion we should not forget the point of free software: It's about freedom. WTFPL is no threat to freedom. NonCommercial licenses are.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

I have no plans to ban it from ContentDB.

"The developers" seems to be only paramat
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Exilyth

Re: WTFPL to be banned from Content DB soon (or not?)

by Exilyth » Post

CC0 serves a similar purpose as WTFPL, but is much more sane.

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

Re: WTFPL to be banned from Content DB soon (or not?)

by paramat » Post

rubenwardy, it's not just me, see sofar's comments in the issue.