Minetest ubuntu 18.04

wakishashiwhirlwind
In-game: robin robin1

Minetest ubuntu 18.04

by wakishashiwhirlwind » Post

How do you create a mod for minetest ubuntu 18.04?

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

Re: Minetest ubuntu 18.04

by rubenwardy » Post

Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

wakishashiwhirlwind
In-game: robin robin1

by wakishashiwhirlwind » Post

does it work for ubuntu 18.04? windows and ubuntu mintest modding aren't the same. i've tried to download windows mods but they didn't work. only ubuntu mods have worked.

dawgdoc
GitHub: dawgdoc

by dawgdoc » Post

wakishashiwhirlwind wrote:does it work for ubuntu 18.04? windows and ubuntu mintest modding aren't the same. i've tried to download windows mods but they didn't work. only ubuntu mods have worked.
When I started using minetest I got my mods by downloading the zip files from the forums. After a few months I began using github to establish local repositories on my home machine and then kept them current with the latest updates on github. I've never seen any differentiation between mods for Windows and Linux, I run LinuxMint 18.x, based on Xenial.

Are you getting your mods from either of the above two sources? Or, are you getting your mods for the Ubuntu repositories?

If you are actually referring to creating mods, the second section of the modding book from Ruben's link lists four code editors for Linux. Two are in the Ubuntu repositories, the other two have downloadable .debs on their home pages, lined to by Ruben. Additionally, there are other code editors in the Ubuntu repos.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Give a kid a fish, it's going to die.

neoh4x0r
GitHub: neoh4x0r

by neoh4x0r » Post

wakishashiwhirlwind wrote:does it work for ubuntu 18.04? windows and ubuntu mintest modding aren't the same. i've tried to download windows mods but they didn't work. only ubuntu mods have worked.
rubenwardy wrote:https://rubenwardy.com/minetest_modding_book/
https://www.minetest.net/lua_api
Mods are found in ~/.minetest/mods/
Yeah, all mods are lua-based (ie text files) and they are not compiled specifically for linux or windows...so the operating system shouldn't matter.

I bet the problem is that the mod wasn't being placed in the correct folder.

You can read about installing them here: https://dev.minetest.net/Installing_Mods

EDIT: removed misinformation about placing them in games/<game>/mods -- doing this would treat the mods as default game-content and they won't work/behave as intended.
Last edited by neoh4x0r on Tue Sep 03, 2019 22:04, edited 3 times in total.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Use this command to go to the mod installation dir: mkdir ~/.minetest/mods; xdg-open ~/.minetest/mods

Mods on Windows, Linux, Android, and macOS are all exactly the same
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader