List of problems with the Dev Wiki:
- Most Lua stuff is painfully redundant to the official documentation (lua_api.txt)
- It is not approved by the core devs. ZERO of the changes in the wiki go through the strict quality control process that changes to lua_api.txt have to go through. EVERY edit becomes visible instantly. Everyone with an account can introduce falsehoods with a mouseclick
- It gets outdated very fast. A huge amount of pages is hopelessly outdated, riddled with holes. There are also internal inconsistencies
- The wiki is not versioned. It's all just a huge gigantic mess of pages that have no indication on for what version they were written for
- Despite all of this, there is absolutely zero indication or warning about all of this massive problems.
- It gives new and upcoming Minetest / mod developers a false sense of “officiality” but it's not. It wastes hours over hours of precious dev time by giving them a fake and broken documentation
What I request the owners of the Dev Wiki to do:
- Delete ALL pages that just replicate stuff directly from lua_api.txt. All pages in the “Methods” category have to go
- Make it clear that lua_api.txt is official, and the wiki isn't. On the main page.
- Mark every Lua-related page with a warning that it's unofficial
- On the Main Page, clarify the scope (and non-scope) of the wiki
- Fix the Main Page to reflect all of the changes.