v5's new XYZ entity rotation

User avatar
thomasthespacefox
Member
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2015 15:00
GitHub: ThomasTheSpaceFox
IRC: ThomasJaguar1212
In-game: thomasthespacefox

v5's new XYZ entity rotation

by thomasthespacefox » Thu May 23, 2019 16:39

via the new set_rotation() method.


Mods i found using it so far:
Advanced Trains - uses it to properly tilt traincars on sloped tracks. see spoiler.
+ Spoiler


    - To the devs: Why wasn't this feature more properly announced? Its not even in the changelog.
    - do you know of any more mods using this?
    - are your mod(s) using this?
    - any mobs mods using this yet. really could help make flying and swimming mobs more realistic.
    - IMO, this is a HUGE step forward for minetest, as this opens alot more doors for what entities can do.
    - has MTG removed the ugly minecart tilting animation hack yet? is it planning to? (just curious)
 

User avatar
Krock
Developer
 
Posts: 4242
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 07:48
Location: Switzerland
GitHub: SmallJoker

Re: v5's new XYZ entity rotation

by Krock » Thu May 23, 2019 17:54

thomasthespacefox wrote:- To the devs: Why wasn't this feature more properly announced? Its not even in the changelog.

A lot has changed in 5.0.0, so some changes were forgotten in the changelog.

thomasthespacefox wrote:- do you know of any more mods using this?

Not yet, but check out these videos:
https://vimeo.com/320857098 viewtopic.php?t=22077
https://vimeo.com/313476186 Either not published or missed by the forum parser bot.

thomasthespacefox wrote:- has MTG removed the ugly minecart tilting animation hack yet? is it planning to? (just curious)

This is how it would look like with the current model, decide yourself whether it's okay:
Image
Attachments
screenshot_20190523_194707.png
(58.14 KiB) Not downloaded yet
>> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>
 

User avatar
thomasthespacefox
Member
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2015 15:00
GitHub: ThomasTheSpaceFox
IRC: ThomasJaguar1212
In-game: thomasthespacefox

Re: v5's new XYZ entity rotation

by thomasthespacefox » Thu May 23, 2019 18:36

Krock wrote:
thomasthespacefox wrote:- To the devs: Why wasn't this feature more properly announced? Its not even in the changelog.

A lot has changed in 5.0.0, so some changes were forgotten in the changelog.

thomasthespacefox wrote:- do you know of any more mods using this?

Not yet, but check out these videos:
https://vimeo.com/320857098 viewtopic.php?t=22077
https://vimeo.com/313476186 Either not published or missed by the forum parser bot.

thomasthespacefox wrote:- has MTG removed the ugly minecart tilting animation hack yet? is it planning to? (just curious)

This is how it would look like with the current model, decide yourself whether it's okay:
Image



as far as the minecarts, I can see how having to change the model to achieve the same effect seems kinda redundant without anything else changing.

As far as the changelog, I'm just glad this feature got added in the first place. Its full of huge potential.
 

Termos
Member
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:50

Re: v5's new XYZ entity rotation

by Termos » Thu May 23, 2019 20:46

thomasthespacefox wrote:- any mobs mods using this yet. really could help make flying and swimming mobs more realistic.


Mobkit is using this feature since 0.5.0 release day.
Only for silly death animations so far, but birds and insects are planned with movement relying heavily on this feature.
 

User avatar
thomasthespacefox
Member
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2015 15:00
GitHub: ThomasTheSpaceFox
IRC: ThomasJaguar1212
In-game: thomasthespacefox

Re: v5's new XYZ entity rotation

by thomasthespacefox » Thu May 23, 2019 21:18

Termos wrote:
thomasthespacefox wrote:- any mobs mods using this yet. really could help make flying and swimming mobs more realistic.


Mobkit is using this feature since 0.5.0 release day.
Only for silly death animations so far, but birds and insects are planned with movement relying heavily on this feature.


Good to see a mobs mod using this already! :)
 

User avatar
DS-minetest
Member
 
Posts: 1090
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 19:49
Location: I'm scared that if this is too exact, I will be unable to use my keyboard.
GitHub: DS-Minetest
In-game: DS

Re: v5's new XYZ entity rotation

by DS-minetest » Thu May 23, 2019 21:22

Krock wrote:
thomasthespacefox wrote:- do you know of any more mods using this?

Not yet, but check out these videos:
https://vimeo.com/320857098 viewtopic.php?t=22077

The gear3d mod doesn't use objects, all the rotating and moving things are animated nodes.

Krock wrote:This is how it would look like with the current model, decide yourself whether it's okay:
+ img

The cart looks like if it was shifted into the ground. I tried to reproduce this with minetest_game but I wasn't able to do so in a short amount of time.
Do not call me -minetest.
Call me DS or DS-minetest.
I am German, so you don't have to pm me English if you are also German.
The background is a lie.
 

Extex
Member
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2018 23:14
GitHub: Extex101
In-game: Extex

Re: v5's new XYZ entity rotation

by Extex » Fri May 24, 2019 18:28

The mob mod "mobkit" uses this
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=22112

Termos wrote:Probably the coolest thing so far.
A mob attack that is defendable, makes combat more skill based and doesn't necessarily require animation
Image
If I didn't dodge, it would have bit me.

They are inert during jump/charge, so there's time to react and predict where they're gonna land. It also scales up nicely - combat with one opponent is easy, but it goes downhill fast when outnumbered.
Of course it will be way cooler with a very short 'prepare to jump' animation.


Edit: Oops I missed Termos's comment..
 

User avatar
AiTechEye
Member
 
Posts: 678
Joined: Fri May 29, 2015 21:14
Location: Sweden
GitHub: AiTechEye

Re: v5's new XYZ entity rotation

by AiTechEye » Mon May 27, 2019 11:56

im making a fishing rod that are using it ... thanks for posting this topic, i had no idea the function was added.

for you that doesn't find documentation for it (like me) it works like this:

object:set_rotation({x=0,y=0,z=0})

Image
Attachments
screenshot_20190527_134802.png
(822.79 KiB) Not downloaded yet
 

User avatar
Pyrollo
Member
 
Posts: 273
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 15:14
Location: Paris
GitHub: pyrollo
In-game: Naj

Re: v5's new XYZ entity rotation

by Pyrollo » Mon May 27, 2019 13:59

thomasthespacefox wrote:- do you know of any more mods using this?


It's rather static but Display API does :

Image
[ Display Modpack ] - [ Digiterms ] - [ Crater MG ] - [ LATE ]
 

User avatar
thomasthespacefox
Member
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2015 15:00
GitHub: ThomasTheSpaceFox
IRC: ThomasJaguar1212
In-game: thomasthespacefox

Re: v5's new XYZ entity rotation

by thomasthespacefox » Mon May 27, 2019 14:25

Pyrollo wrote:
thomasthespacefox wrote:- do you know of any more mods using this?


It's rather static but Display API does :

Image


Ah, finally i can do the old "this sign is right side up." upside down sign gag in minetest :D
 


Return to Modding Discussion



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests