Help adding decorations to nether mapgen?

isaiah658

Help adding decorations to nether mapgen?

by isaiah658 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 23:12

I've been working on a subgame and wanted to use the nether mod in it. https://github.com/minetest-mods/nether It's rather boring though and I wanted to add some plant life. For whatever reason, this is proving to be near impossible. I've added my own mapgen decoration to add grass and every time the grass is being placed on an invisible horizontal plane in the nether. I'm not sure if that has to do with how the nether mod overrides the default mapgen or what. If someone who understands mapgen well would be willing to just try adding grass and report how it goes for them, I would appreciate it. I know very little about it.

TumeniNodes

GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

Re: Help adding decorations to nether mapgen?

by TumeniNodes » Mon Jul 15, 2019 01:13

You may get faster replies by re-posting at viewtopic.php?f=47&t=15272
Ich mag keine grünen Eier und Schinken, ich mag sie nicht Sam I Am

duane

GitHub: duane-r

by duane » Mon Jul 15, 2019 01:22

isaiah658 wrote:I've been working on a subgame and wanted to use the nether mod in it. https://github.com/minetest-mods/nether It's rather boring though and I wanted to add some plant life. For whatever reason, this is proving to be near impossible. I've added my own mapgen decoration to add grass and every time the grass is being placed on an invisible horizontal plane in the nether. I'm not sure if that has to do with how the nether mod overrides the default mapgen or what. If someone who understands mapgen well would be willing to just try adding grass and report how it goes for them, I would appreciate it. I know very little about it.

You'll need to post your code to get any useful suggestions. However, the invisible horizontal plane is probably the heightmap, which (I think) the game code uses to place decorations in some cases. Nether creates its terrain in lua, after the game places decorations, so adding normal decorations to the game won't help you at all. If you create the terrain in lua, you must add the decorations in lua, which is a huge pain. You can see my attempt here.

You might be better off using decorations and biomes to make the normal caves from your mapgen of choice look more like the nether. I did some cave decorating here that requires no lua terrain, but it's not as effective since the game's decoration code is geared toward surface decorations. It also requires a recent version of minetest to work.

If the nether is the centerpiece of your game, you probably want to go all the way and make it in lua, to get the best results. If it's just a nice-to-have, don't spend that much time on it -- just make some nether-ish caves and do the best you can with regular biomes/decorations.
Believe in people and you don't need to believe anything else.

isaiah658

by isaiah658 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 01:57

Thanks for the response. I guess I'll be switching to something else, such as caverealms or your environ mod. I don't specifically need the nether.

Edit: The obstacle that will create it figuring out a way to make a portal that functions like the nether portal to get to the realm.

paramat
Developer

GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Sun Jul 28, 2019 22:21

I agree with duane, that's good and correct mapgen advice.

paramat
Developer

GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

Return to Modding Discussion