Mod Loading Hadling.

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

Mod Loading Hadling.

by Andrey01 » Post

Is it possible anyhow to handle with a mod handling that what order mods should be loaded in? In my case, I want a certain mod to being loaded after all mods have been loaded.

ShadMOrdre

Re: Mod Loading Hadling.

by ShadMOrdre » Post

Andrey,

There is, in v5.0, a function (minetest.on_mods_loaded) that runs code after all mods have been loaded.

Not sure if this will solve your issue, but other than depending on the dependency tree, there is no sure fire way to determine or influence the order in which mods are loaded.

Yvanhoe

by Yvanhoe » Post

Andrey01 wrote:Is it possible anyhow to handle with a mod handling that what order mods should be loaded in? In my case, I want a certain mod to being loaded after all mods have been loaded.
If you add a line

Code: Select all

depends = moda,modb,modc
in the mod.conf file at the root of your mod, your will only be loaded after moda, modb and modc were loaded.

Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

ShadMOrdre wrote:Andrey,

There is, in v5.0, a function (minetest.on_mods_loaded) that runs code after all mods have been loaded.

Not sure if this will solve your issue, but other than depending on the dependency tree, there is no sure fire way to determine or influence the order in which mods are loaded.
Well, that means the certain mod that I mentioned also will be loaded together with other, not separately. And there`s no a function like minetest.load_mod() that would implement loading of that mod inside minetest.register_on_mods_loaded(), as far as I know.
Yvanhoe wrote:
Andrey01 wrote:Is it possible anyhow to handle with a mod handling that what order mods should be loaded in? In my case, I want a certain mod to being loaded after all mods have been loaded.
If you add a line

depends = moda,modb,modc
in the mod.conf file at the root of your mod, your will only be loaded after moda, modb and modc were loaded.
This method doesn`t fit also. It`s unknown what and what amount of mods a user maintains.

neoh4x0r
GitHub: neoh4x0r

by neoh4x0r » Post

Andrey01 wrote:there`s no a function like minetest.load_mod() that would implement loading of that mod inside minetest.register_on_mods_loaded(), as far as I know.
TL;DR
You need a new feature to be added to minetest to dynamically load mods.

This is non-trivial and would require a lot of work to properly sort the decency tree (and having more than one mod attempting to be loaded last would cause a race condition).

This means that it would be very buggy and cumbersome to code and maintain.

The real question here would be to know why you need your mod to be the final one loaded.
(ie are you trying to override an item definition, etc -- if that is the case then you can override the def in minetest.register_on_mods_loaded())

==================================================
Minetest does, not yet, provide any mechanism to do this.

Eg the following in mod_xyz/mod.conf:

depends = moda, modb, modc
Only works to ensure that mod_xyz is loaded after, moda, modb, modc
But does not, and cannot, ensure that mod_xyz is the last one loaded (after all other mods).

Really what you are asking is for an enhancement / feature to be added to minetest that allows the dynamic loading of a mod -- which incidentally would require another mod to be installed to define the body of the minetest.register_on_mods_loaded() method to dynamically load mod_xyz.

The trouble here is one of a race condition where if more then one mod attempts to be loaded last, then it is unclear which mod would actually be the last one loaded -- in fact it will probably be different on each world load (as it will depend on when register_on_mods_loaded actually gets called per mod).

This race condition makes adding that new feature, fundamentally unworkable.

Even if the mod loading system had a priority value added, where higher priorities get loaded at the bottom -- there would still be a race condition for mods that had the same priority (they could be sorted based on their dependency tree, but it still becomes a non-trivial matter).
==================================================

ThorfinnS
GitHub: ThorfinnS

by ThorfinnS » Post

There's also minetest.register_on_joinplayer, but that doesn't prevent another mod from doing the same thing, and minetest doing them in whatever order it does them. But there are things you can't do there. And its a little buggy. But from my minimal testing, it seems to handle this after minetest.on_mods_loaded. At least I'm able to do some overwrites without having a soft dependency.

But maybe that wasn't what you were asking, either... ;)

AiTechEye
GitHub: AiTechEye

by AiTechEye » Post

try to name the mod to zzzz, if minetest reads mods from a to z, and the more z it maybe becomes more chance to be the last one

Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

Why I`m asking for it is I need to override 'node_def' tables of all nodes of any mods that enabled, because they need additional properties. That`s why I need to load this mod after all.

AiTechEye

by AiTechEye » Post

neoh4x0r
GitHub: neoh4x0r

by neoh4x0r » Post

Andrey01 wrote:Why I`m asking for it is I need to override 'node_def' tables of all nodes of any mods that enabled, because they need additional properties. That`s why I need to load this mod after all.
See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3045
cornernote wrote:Heres a quick function (hack) based on your solution to make main code a little cleaner:

minetest.registered = function(case,name)
    local params = {}
    local list
    if case == "item" then list = minetest.registered_items end
    if case == "node" then list = minetest.registered_nodes end
    if case == "craftitem" then list = minetest.registered_craftitems end
    if case == "tool" then list = minetest.registered_tools end
    if case == "entity" then list = minetest.registered_entities end
    if list then
        for k,v in pairs(list[name]) do
            params[k] = v
        end
    end
    return params
end

What about this code ?

minetest.register_on_mods_loaded(override_nodes)

local function override_nodes()
	local list = minetest.registered_nodes
	if list then
		for name,node in pairs(list) do
			node.after_place_node = 
				function(pos) 
					-- get the actual node that was placed
					placed_node = minetest.get_node(pos)

-- do something with placed_node
					if placed_node.some_property == nil
						local some_value = {} -- alter as needed
						placed_node.some_property = some_value
					end

-- set the updated node
					minetest.set_node(pos, placed_node)
				end
	 	end
	end
end

AiTechEye

by AiTechEye » Post

Edit:

this is maybe the solution:

for i,v in pairs(minetest.registered_items) do
  v.light_source = 10
  minetest.override_item(i, v)
end

local a = minetest.register_node
minetest.register_node = function(name,def)
	def.light_source = 10
end