How do i use my own player-character on multiplayer-servers?

Drachenbauer32

How do i use my own player-character on multiplayer-servers?

by Drachenbauer32 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 17:27

Hello

In my own single player world of the minetest-game i actually use a special selfmade player-character, and i added the ability to generate light at character-position by modifying the api.lua in the character_api-mod-folder (because my character has a glowing antenna on the head).

How can i use it in a multiplayer world, that hosts the minetest-game (one from the existeng list)?
Last edited by Drachenbauer32 on Wed Nov 13, 2019 17:37, edited 1 time in total.

Krock
Developer

GitHub: SmallJoker

Re: How do i appear in multiplayer worlds?

by Krock » Wed Nov 13, 2019 17:37

You modified a local copy of the character_api mod.
The server runs its own copy of the character_api mod.

Unless you propose a PR to merge your changes into the official repository, the server will not treat your model in any special way. How even?
Workaround: Host a server using your modified character_api mod. All players who join will see the antenna.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Drachenbauer32

Re: How do i use my own player-character on multiplayer-serv

by Drachenbauer32 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 17:56

I thaught, it may nice, if there is a server, where all players can come as their own custom characters.
I think, it´s boring, if all players look the same.

I think, there should be some code, that searches for a local instance of the hosted game.
If it find´s one, it saves this player_api in the player´s account to use it as the character for this player.
If it find´s none, it uses the common player_api from the server.

If someone realize this, players will be able to join a multiplayer world as their customized character from their local singleplayer world.

paramat
Developer

GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

Re: How do i use my own player-character on multiplayer-serv

by paramat » Sat Nov 16, 2019 01:04

> How can i use it in a multiplayer world

Contact the admin of the server and try to convince them, because the server mods control almost everything, including the appearence of your character and any light-emitting abilities.
Many servers have the ability for players to use their own custom skins, some have the ability for players to have custom player shapes.

A server cannot automatically use a client-provided character, because these have to be reviewed and approved by the admin first, because some players would use the feature to disrupt the server in various ways.

Return to Modding Discussion