Post your mod requests/ideas here

TeTpaAka

Re: Post your mod requests/ideas here

by TeTpaAka » Post

LazerRay wrote:Magic mod/API (use Mana API, craft spells and spell-book or wand to hold them, can add more spells and containers at later times)
Possible spells for the mod:
  • Dig Block (break the block you aim at, may have multiple tiers like the picks)
    Light Orb (places a ball of light where you aim, can be punched out like a torch)
    Place Block (places a block where you aimed, uses the one next to it in your hotbar)
    Attack spells (many types, damage players and mobs you shoot at)
    Explosion (blow up an area you aim at, uses a lot of mana)
    Retrieve Item (grab things from a distance)
    Levitate (works on self, walk in mid air for some time)
    Water Breathing (works on self, stay under water longer)
    Night Vision (works on self, see in the dark for some time)
Spell-book and wand use (Left click uses current spell, Right click selects, Shift+Right click opens it to add/remove spells)

Combining these in the same world might make things interesting, as for the magic mod the crafting and mana costs can be expensive for the more powerful effects.
All, except the last one (night vision), seems doable. I'll take a look on it.

12Me21
GitHub: 12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

TeTpaAka wrote:
LazerRay wrote:Magic mod/API (use Mana API, craft spells and spell-book or wand to hold them, can add more spells and containers at later times)
Possible spells for the mod:
  • Dig Block (break the block you aim at, may have multiple tiers like the picks)
    Light Orb (places a ball of light where you aim, can be punched out like a torch)
    Place Block (places a block where you aimed, uses the one next to it in your hotbar)
    Attack spells (many types, damage players and mobs you shoot at)
    Explosion (blow up an area you aim at, uses a lot of mana)
    Retrieve Item (grab things from a distance)
    Levitate (works on self, walk in mid air for some time)
    Water Breathing (works on self, stay under water longer)
    Night Vision (works on self, see in the dark for some time)
Spell-book and wand use (Left click uses current spell, Right click selects, Shift+Right click opens it to add/remove spells)

Combining these in the same world might make things interesting, as for the magic mod the crafting and mana costs can be expensive for the more powerful effects.
All, except the last one (night vision), seems doable. I'll take a look on it.
I think there was a night vision goggle mod a while ago, I don't think it still works, though.

acblonde

by acblonde » Post

maybe like a minecraft comes alive but a minetest comes alive plz I would make it but I don't know how just plz

TeTpaAka

by TeTpaAka » Post

12Me21 wrote:I think there was a night vision goggle mod a while ago, I don't think it still works, though.
The only mod I found was this. But the way it does it (changing the air the player stands in to a light source) is not suitable for this mod.

LazerRay
GitHub: LazerRay

by LazerRay » Post

The Firearms mod has a night-vision system with the Night-Vision Goggles in the mod for tech/modern based items.

TeTpaAka

by TeTpaAka » Post

LazerRay wrote:The Firearms mod has a night-vision system with the Night-Vision Goggles in the mod for tech/modern based items.
Yeah, it has. But it is only using a texture overlay over the whole screen to make everything whiter. This doesn't really help to see any better. What really is needed, is an option to alter the lighttable of the client. In current version, this isn't possible.

12Me21
GitHub: 12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

Moving nyan cats!!!

Code: Select all

minetest.register_abm({
	nodenames = {"default:nyancat"},
	interval = 1,
	chance = 1,
	action = function(pos, node)
		local dir = minetest.facedir_to_dir(node.param2)	
		local infrontof = {x=pos.x - dir.x, y=pos.y - dir.y, z=pos.z - dir.z}	
		if minetest.get_node(infrontof).name == "air" then
			minetest.set_node(pos, {name = "default:nyancat_rainbow", param2 = node.param2})
			minetest.set_node(infrontof, {name = "default:nyancat", param2 = node.param2})
		else 
			minetest.set_node(pos, {name = "default:nyancat", param2 = (node.param2+4) % 24})
		end
	end
})
(Posted here because I don't feel like making a new topic yet)

Rui

[DELETED]

by Rui » Post

[DELETED]
Last edited by Rui on Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:54, edited 1 time in total.

Hybrid Dog
GitHub: HybridDog

by Hybrid Dog » Post

12Me21 wrote:Moving nyan cats!!!

minetest.register_abm({
	nodenames = {"default:nyancat"},
	interval = 1,
	chance = 1,
	action = function(pos, node)
		local dir = minetest.facedir_to_dir(node.param2)	
		local infrontof = {x=pos.x - dir.x, y=pos.y - dir.y, z=pos.z - dir.z}	
		if minetest.get_node(infrontof).name == "air" then
			minetest.set_node(pos, {name = "default:nyancat_rainbow", param2 = node.param2})
			minetest.set_node(infrontof, {name = "default:nyancat", param2 = node.param2})
		else 
			minetest.set_node(pos, {name = "default:nyancat", param2 = (node.param2+4) % 24})
		end
	end
})
(Posted here because I don't feel like making a new topic yet)
moving nyancats already exist at the nyancat heaven

‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪

kidmondo
IRC: kidmondo
In-game: kidmondo

by kidmondo » Post

This one is a little odd, but a projector. like it will project an image/clip/.gif onto the closest image...

Miners91

Proper Grocery Stores

by Miners91 » Post

It's a simple idea; create numbered checkout counters (or counters and separate numbered poles), grocery store refrigerators (floor and door models), multiple types of shelves such as for cereal, baking, chips/junk food, canned goods and other aisles, customizable store-style signs (like Minetest's default signs...but bigger), carts and/or baskets, and maybe even anti-theft devices (like you would see in front of the doors going out). None of these parts even need to have animations, but it wouldn't hurt. If I could program I'd just do this myself, unfortunately I'm just a common user :(

Nathan.S
GitHub: NathanSalapat
IRC: NathanS21
In-game: NathanS21

by Nathan.S » Post

Miners91 not a terribly hard mod to create, sounds like most would just be simple nodes, I might try and throw something together.
I record Minetest videos, Mod reviews, Modding tutorials, and Lets plays.
Check out my website, and brand new Minetest Modding Course

Miners91

Proper Grocery Store

by Miners91 » Post

Thanks Nathan! BTW, would you know where I can to learn how to make mods for the game? I'd love to start contributing my own mods eventually, just gotta learn but have absolutely no clue where to start and have never programmed before.

Don
GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

Re: Proper Grocery Store

by Don » Post

Miners91 wrote:Thanks Nathan! BTW, would you know where I can to learn how to make mods for the game? I'd love to start contributing my own mods eventually, just gotta learn but have absolutely no clue where to start and have never programmed before.
This is what I used.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10729
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

Nathan.S
GitHub: NathanSalapat
IRC: NathanS21
In-game: NathanS21

by Nathan.S » Post

In addition to the fantastic resource don posted there are YouTube tutorials, look at my Sig for the link, the Dev wiki and tearing apart other peoples mods to see how they accomplished things.
I record Minetest videos, Mod reviews, Modding tutorials, and Lets plays.
Check out my website, and brand new Minetest Modding Course

prestidigitator

by prestidigitator » Post

Nathan.S wrote:In addition to the fantastic resource don posted there are YouTube tutorials, look at my Sig for the link, the Dev wiki and tearing apart other peoples mods to see how they accomplished things.
Wow. Cool! Loads of videos. Nicely done. By the way, in your Intro to Minetest Modding 01 video, the problem was that:

{dig_immediate=3, flam}
is perfectly valid Lua syntax for creating a table. If the created table were assigned to a local variable "table" it would be equivalent to:

local table = {};
table["dig_immediate"] = 3;
table[1] = flam;
which treats the table somewhat like a key-value map object and somewhat like an array. Since the global variable "flam" is probably not defined, this would assign "nil" to the first array position, resulting in the table not having that entry. But since there's apparently (now) a metatable assigned to the global environment that warns when mods read global variables that don't exist, you got a warning in the debug log.

ABJ
GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.

by ABJ » Post

3D rails to replace the default rails and/or the carts mod rails.

Glory!
GitHub: Glory7000
In-game: Glory7000

by Glory! » Post

Maybe this is development related but I'd like to see a changeable (and append-able) player model. (hats for example) For instance: http://i.imgur.com/4Ukby42.gif
Thought off a Japanese player model mod for MC that changed the default model to a female one and the available ones were Utane Uta and Stevette?.
plz no hate thx
Behold the Razgriz, its wings of black sheath. :: My skin A competitor that unfortunately needs attention to stay afloat.

CWz
GitHub: chaoswormz
IRC: CWz
In-game: CWz

by CWz » Post

here are my 2 mod ideas:
1. Lots of players timeout and then reconnect only to timeout again. this process repeats itself.
My suggested solution is a tempban after multiple fails(about 4 times). Obviously the attempt counter should reset after a couple of minutes.

2. a mod for "no interact by default" servers that kicks player who don't have interact after about 30 minutes. this is would be useful for Servers with lower maxplayers counts, so they do not get filled with interact-less players. might be a good idea to only have it kick if the player count nears the maxplayers count. also should warn said players before the kick happens

ABJ
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.

by ABJ » Post

CWz wrote:here are my 2 mod ideas:
1. Lots of players timeout and then reconnect only to timeout again. this process repeats itself.
My suggested solution is a tempban after multiple fails(about 4 times). Obviously the attempt counter should reset after a couple of minutes.

2. a mod for "no interact by default" servers that kicks player who don't have interact after about 30 minutes. this is would be useful for Servers with lower maxplayers counts, so they do not get filled with interact-less players. might be a good idea to only have it kick if the player count nears the maxplayers count. also should warn said players before the kick happens
In my opinion, there is already more than enough of that kick\ban horribleness in the Minetest community. It should be stopped now or everyone will get their privs ripped and then mercilessly banned from their favorite servers. See server md's LAB to understand my view.

CWz

by CWz » Post

ABJ wrote:
CWz wrote:here are my 2 mod ideas:

In my opinion, there is already more than enough of that kick\ban horribleness in the Minetest community. It should be stopped now or everyone will get their privs ripped and then mercilessly banned from their favorite servers. See server md's LAB to understand my view.
You completely missed the point.

Suggestion number 1 is to help the issues of player joined the game , player left the game (timed out) this constant endless struggled of trying to connect to the server to no avail wastes bandwith not to mention spams the chat.

Suggestion number 2; is to clear the server of player who joined the server and didn't read the rules and thus have no interact because of that. a server full of clueless interactless players prevents regular players for that server from connecting. While playslots might not be an issues for larger servers like VanessaE's Servers, this could be a nightmare for smaller 15 player or less servers. which could potentially get full in matter of minutes.

notice how I said kick not ban.

Just because some servers have crappy staff doesn't mean all server ban/kick people for no reason.

ABJ

by ABJ » Post

OK OK I get it.
But I was not talking about crappy staff, I was talking about server overautomation due to mods like that. In said md's LAB, you can get punished for ACCIDENTALLY punching a block! And I'm cr8p scared of getting banned due to all those tons of waste punishment horribleness plugins JUST for doing something by freaking accident!

Man do I detest player punishment plugins!

CWz

by CWz » Post

ABJ wrote:OK OK I get it.
But I was not talking about crappy staff, I was talking about server overautomation due to mods like that. In said md's LAB, you can get punished for ACCIDENTALLY punching a block! And I'm cr8p scared of getting banned due to all those tons of waste punishment horribleness plugins JUST for doing something by freaking accident!

Man do I detest player punishment plugins!
I agree with you that server administrating should not be just automated by mods and should have at least have administrators and moderators present.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

ABJ wrote: But I was not talking about crappy staff, I was talking about server overautomation due to mods like that. In said md's LAB, you can get punished for ACCIDENTALLY punching a block! And I'm cr8p scared of getting banned due to all those tons of waste punishment horribleness plugins JUST for doing something by freaking accident!
Don't think of it as punishment on rnd's server. The term does not apply. Just think of it as some random cruelty which has got nothing to do with what you did. Like a strong mob spawning randomly close to you and killing you. If you get jailed, just ask for someone to open the door. On other servers, there's usually a connection between not following the rules and actions from moderators. On rnd's server, there isn't. But at least he's learning that part of beeing an admin. Protectors can now be turned into a mode where they don't harm other players. Sadly, that's not the default setting. Rnd's strength are other ones than handling the human side of a server. His one's the first that handles fighting against mobs very well. I didn't believe that was possible in MT.

Besides, other servers had that problem as well. The Landrush server lost me after I digged a flower in seemingly wild terrain. It was protected, and I got banned automaticly for a short time. The server lost a builder that way.

The problem with players timing out might be another kind of problem. It would be ideal if those servers where a successful connection is very unlikely (diffrent versions, too complex for tablets) won't show up in the list for those players at all so that they can quickly find suitable servers and successfully connect to them.
A list of my mods can be found here.

ABJ

by ABJ » Post

The way you talk about timeout means that you must be ABSOLUTELY sure that server can NEVER, EVER be accessed via tablet. The reason why I am saying this is that on some (many?) servers tablet users can use the server some/most of the time perfectly without problems and then all of a sudden start having probs. Unless the code make TOTALLY sure the user could NEVER EVER connect properly, the user might just end up losing his/her favorite server