Post your mod requests/ideas here

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Tue Aug 21, 2012 01:33

InfinityProject wrote:A node box player? huh huh anyone? Like Like? Would be friggin sweet.

3D Player mod? (already done in c++)

--------------------

Shared locked boxes!

(Players can share locked boxes)

OdinAllfather

by OdinAllfather » Tue Aug 21, 2012 06:11

Can someone teach me how to mod minetest
"As for me, people will be pleased to escape from me in one piece."
—Grettir, The Saga of Grettir the Strong

Cattle die, kinsmen die; the self must also die. I know one thing which never dies: the reputation of each dead man.
Hávamál, st. 77

Casimir

GitHub: CasimirKaPazi

by Casimir » Tue Aug 21, 2012 07:53

Just start by manipulating other mods to work the way you want them to. This is the way I learned it.

And here are some resources:
Tutorial: http://minetest.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1087
Programming in Lua: http://www.lua.org/pil/
And you will need this: https://github.com/celeron55/minetest/blob/master/doc/lua_api.txt

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Tue Aug 21, 2012 08:52

OdinAllfather wrote:Can someone teach me how to mod minetest

Here is a quick link to the tutorial: http://tinyurl.com/mt-tut

Rickmor

by Rickmor » Sun Aug 26, 2012 13:37

only enchating and making potions and fishing

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Sun Aug 26, 2012 13:40

Rickmor wrote:only enchating and making potions and fishing

Fishing will be added in the Animals mod soon.

One of the downsides of Minecraft is that people think that Enchanting and Potion making makes it too much of a RPG.

Echo

by Echo » Mon Aug 27, 2012 08:58

rubenwardy wrote:[...]Enchanting and Potion making makes it too much of a RPG.

+1

leto_atrey

by leto_atrey » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:27

Two ideas came to mind when I replied another thread.

1. A mod to enable head-tracking. This means the mouse would control the avatar-hands-only, and a user could look elsewhere while mining. This would be really useful if:
1.a. a future mod makes using vehicles possible in the game. I saw a post on the first page of this thread dealing with rocket launchers and decided that I'd rather be able to craft and use a bulldozer than a rocket launcher.

2. A mod that makes maps for alternative planet/moon terrains. Specifically, I'd suggest a Moon Mod, where:
  • the gravity is 1/6 of 'normal'
  • the outside environment requires you craft an environment suit to work (no air)
    (This is an excellent way of thinking about 'armor' in another context )
  • the map doesn't spawn water, you have to make it using a furnace (come on, that's only logical and obvious)
  • Water Freezes Outside - so you can make Ice
  • if you can make/craft water, the same goes for air
  • the map doesn't spawn dirt, trees, etc. You'd have to grow those inside of glass domes, presumably...
  • the map is a finite spheroid - no bottomless pits
  • the days are 14 times longer, and so are the nights
  • the surface is an interconnected but random distribution of 'maria' (seas), mountains, and craters

This type of mod would be ideal for a 'survival' type of gameplay, in my opinion. To suggest a scenario - when you start you begin with a limited amount of air, water, and basic supplies. This translates to some number of 'days', but the day/night cycle is 14 times longer than normal. Therefore, a small number of days before you 'starve'/'suffocate'. Crafting the means for long-term gameplay is essential at the beginning, and then you're able to expand and explore more of the map.

Another long term goal might be to find out where on the map you've spawned. If the map were finite, then instead of a Moon in the night sky, you'd be looking for the Earth, as a navigational aid of sorts. A very long term goal might be to 'terraform' the entire map's surface, or only the side that the Earth can see, perhaps?

An added bonus - the environment itself can kill the avatar, meaning, there's no need of mobs of any kind. Those could be accommodated later, but aren't necessary for the 'survival' aspect. Unless, of course, you prefer something else to Moon rat.
Last edited by leto_atrey on Mon Aug 27, 2012 13:11, edited 1 time in total.

Menche

IRC: Menche
In-game: Menche

by Menche » Mon Aug 27, 2012 16:23

leto_atrey wrote:An added bonus - the environment itself can kill the avatar, meaning, there's no need of mobs of any kind

An idea I had that fits with this, make the player able to freeze to death. It should be possible currently, if you equate heat with light. Periodically check all players, and if the light level at their position is too low, remove some health.
Last edited by Menche on Mon Aug 27, 2012 16:24, edited 1 time in total.
An innocent kitten dies every time you top-post.

Echo

by Echo » Tue Aug 28, 2012 06:45

leto_atrey wrote:[...]
    [...]

Water in open space first starts boiling. Then the vapor starts slowly freezing.

B.t.w. for all science fiction fans:
A body in space isn't exploding: the pressure on earth is about 1 bar. In space 0 bar, a difference of 1 bar. Ever dived deeper than 10m? Did you explode when coming up?
A body in space isn't freezing instantly: sure, the temperature is very low. But temperature is an attribute of material. In space is not much material, so there is almost nothing a body could give its temerature to. It takes a loooooong time to freeze. Oh, the sun keeps shining, so the body could more probably overheat, because it can't loose the energy.
What happens than? The water on surface of the skin boils and is gone. The skin protects against the missing pressure. I guess you should also be able to hold your breath. You will just choke.

jin_xi

by jin_xi » Tue Aug 28, 2012 09:04

Echo wrote:B.t.w. for all science fiction fans:
A body in space isn't exploding: the pressure on earth is about 1 bar. In space 0 bar, a difference of 1 bar. Ever dived deeper than 10m? Did you explode when coming up?
A body in space isn't freezing instantly: sure, the temperature is very low. But temperature is an attribute of material. In space is not much material, so there is almost nothing a body could give its temerature to. It takes a loooooong time to freeze. Oh, the sun keeps shining, so the body could more probably overheat, because it can't loose the energy.
What happens than? The water on surface of the skin boils and is gone. The skin protects against the missing pressure. I guess you should also be able to hold your breath. You will just choke.

nice

PilzAdam

GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:25

Echo wrote:
leto_atrey wrote:[...]
    [...]

Water in open space first starts boiling. Then the vapor starts slowly freezing.

B.t.w. for all science fiction fans:

And the body will be accelerated because the photons of the sun "push" them away.

RabbiBob

by RabbiBob » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:38

Echo wrote:A body in space isn't exploding: the pressure on earth is about 1 bar. In space 0 bar, a difference of 1 bar. Ever dived deeper than 10m? Did you explode when coming up?

Odd, I've made reference to Joseph Kittinger twice this morning here:

http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/ask_astro/answers/970603.html

You do run the risk of swelling\bloating & embolisms forming when the body is exposed to a vacuum.

leto_atrey

by leto_atrey » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:22

Glad to get a few bites on the idea, at any rate.

Echo wrote: Water in open space first starts boiling. Then the vapor starts slowly freezing.

Water in reduced pressures (like very high altitude on Earth) will readily 'boil' too. Agreed, and I wasn't aiming for absolute realism (its Minetest, after all). But it is interesting to note that the space suits developed for Moon work used water exposed to the 'vacuum' - and I'm hesitant to call it that! - to cool the suit. So it obviously works fast enough, n'est-ce pas?

There's also a major difference between the environment during the day, and during the night, in the form of radiation. The 'temperature' wouldn't be a constant, in that regard.

My $0.02 remain the same: I'd prefer mining on the Moon as an alternative take on the sandbox-miner to any amount of mod-cloning of 'The Nether', or various other RPG elements. I think it would set Minetest apart, personally.

[Edit]
...and daring to be different, I thought that was part of the goal, TBH.

P.S. RIP Neal! You've left behind some pretty big small steps, for a man.
Last edited by leto_atrey on Tue Aug 28, 2012 20:55, edited 1 time in total.

Echo

by Echo » Wed Aug 29, 2012 13:11

leto_atrey wrote:[...] But it is interesting to note that the space suits developed for Moon work used water exposed to the 'vacuum' - and I'm hesitant to call it that! - to cool the suit. So it obviously works fast enough, n'est-ce pas?[...]

It's called evaporative cooler. Changing from liquid to gas needs energy, so evaporating water cools, no matter at which temperature it boils. That's why I jump into a lake and let the water dry by itself.

Oh, just to mention. I only said all that, because I really like the idea of a moon-mod so much. The gameplay could be more challenging when you have to check your oxygen and can't just go out for mining or harvesting.

Casimir

GitHub: CasimirKaPazi

by Casimir » Wed Aug 29, 2012 17:40

You know, the waterphysics in Mine-X (Minecraft, Minetest and so on) are quite annoying. This is why I like the finiteliquid mod for minecraft. Something like that for minetest would be cool, but a lot of work.

Lateralus

by Lateralus » Thu Aug 30, 2012 02:16

Ok, so I am not experienced at all with modding but I have a simple idea that I would hope for someone to look into.

I love making little adventures for my little brother, and he gets so engulfed in the storyline that I make. The only thing that bothers me is the fact that you cannot write a paragraph or something on a sign. My suggestion is to make a journal mod or a book mod. You could keep a few on a bookshelf, and if your right-click on the book, you could either type in it or read it.

Lateralus

by Lateralus » Thu Aug 30, 2012 02:20

Josh wrote:Iv'e got an idea. I was playing a game called Splinter Cell today & i thought if it would be possible to make a night
vision goggles mod. Is it possible?

That'd be sooo helpful
You could explore caves and build at nigh without torches.

PilzAdam

GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Fri Aug 31, 2012 02:16

Lateralus wrote:Ok, so I am not experienced at all with modding but I have a simple idea that I would hope for someone to look into.

I love making little adventures for my little brother, and he gets so engulfed in the storyline that I make. The only thing that bothers me is the fact that you cannot write a paragraph or something on a sign. My suggestion is to make a journal mod or a book mod. You could keep a few on a bookshelf, and if your right-click on the book, you could either type in it or read it.

Im currently working on something like this: http://ompldr.org/vZmF4YQ/books.zip
It adds 2 pages to every default bookshelf that can be edited with a pencil
Code: Select all
coal
stick
stick

Punch a bookshelf with this pencil to make it editable.
Last edited by PilzAdam on Fri Aug 31, 2012 02:17, edited 1 time in total.

Topywo

by Topywo » Sun Sep 02, 2012 20:09

It seems that griefers have gotten the habit of spilling lots of water and/or lava on protected areas. (Edit: wrong presumption)

I've been trying out a bit, if it is possible to prevent the water and lava spill and at the same time allowing players to use water and lava.

Because of a serious lack in my LUA knowledge, my solution is not very elegant. I did the following in the 0.4.2rc1 version:

1. Allowing the players to use water and lava
1.a. I commented out pointable and diggable for lava_source and water_source in the init.lua of the default mod, the lines
1029, 1030, 1086 and 1087. Example:
--pointable = false,
--diggable = false,
1.b. I made the the lava- and watersources diggable, the lines 1037 and 1095. By hand was just my choice, can be whatever you like. Example:
groups = {water=3, liquid=3, puts_out_fire=1, oddly_breakable_by_hand=3},

2. Changing the output of buckets into air
2. I changed in the init.lua of the bucket mod source into 'air', lines 47 and 50. Don't forget the ' ' for air. Example:
minetest.env:add_node(pointed_thing.above, {name=source}) becomes
minetest.env:add_node(pointed_thing.above, {name='air'})

3. Using the mod node_protection

Why in this way:
1. As written earlier, I've not enough knowledge of LUA.
2. Node protection (and disabling buckets) didn't prevent placing lava (already present) in buckets on protected areas
3. Players can stil use water- and lava resources. Makes it also possible putting lava in the furnace. And hey, carrying lava with your bare hands is just slightly stranger than ever hot lava in a bucket.
4. Existing games don't get 'unknown blocks'. Buckets can still be made and used to scoop water and lava. I chose for air output, but this can be something else too...

Maybe it's possible for real modder to let the changes happen in a seperate mod, maybe it's just good enough like this. I hope my solution holds, helps and perhaps inspires to make a better solution.

Edit:typo
Last edited by Topywo on Thu Sep 06, 2012 18:11, edited 1 time in total.

alexcraft

by alexcraft » Thu Sep 06, 2012 16:46

mese sword mese shovel mese axe mod

tinoesroho

by tinoesroho » Thu Sep 06, 2012 17:51

@alex:

In the past, we had such mods. I still have the old versions, but I lacketh the time to update it for 0.4.3
We are what we create.

I tinker and occasionally make (lousy) mods. Currently building an MMO subgame and updating mods. Pirate Party of Canada member. Sporadic author. 21 years old.

My github:
https://github.com/tinoesroho/

InfinityProject

by InfinityProject » Sat Sep 08, 2012 00:33

A sample idea for an armor mod. I'm trying to get it so that if a chestplate is in the inventory the player gains health. However I can't get this to work. If anyone could help that would be great.
Code: Select all
function check_for_chestplate (player)
    if
      player:get_inventory():contains_item("main", "armor:chestplate")
    then
      chestplate_heal(player)
    end
end

minetest.register_node ("armor:chestplate", {
    drawtype = draw,
    description = "Chestplate",
    tile_images = {"armor_chestplate.png"},
    sunlight_propagates = true,
    paramtype = 'light',
    walkable = true,
    light_source = LIGHT_MAX-0,
    groups = {cracky=3,}
   })

function chestplate_heal(player)
    do
      player:set_hp(player:get_hp()+4)
    end
end

Edit: 700th post.
Last edited by InfinityProject on Sat Sep 08, 2012 00:55, edited 1 time in total.

marcos

by marcos » Sat Sep 08, 2012 01:28

minecraft like enemies
for 0.4.3
pleaaaaseee

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Sun Sep 09, 2012 15:22

marcos wrote:minecraft like enemies
for 0.4.3
pleaaaaseee

Have you seen this? http://minetest.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=629 it is 3d and similar

PreviousNext

Return to Modding Discussion