Post your mod requests/ideas here

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

Re: Post your mod requests/ideas here

by Sokomine » Post

Napiophelios wrote: @TumeniNodes: Ultimately I went with making a whole new little gate and fencing mod.
The fencing sits on the edge of the node instead of the middle,
so there is no issue with it going into the next node "box".
That's nice as well. I sometimes wish for such fences and implemented them to some degree as "handrails" (without gates). There's also a fence gate in my cottages mod that solves the strange looking gate effect by just dropping the gate to the floor when opened. It looks far more natural in closed state than other attempts. And of course there's also my gates_long mod.
A list of my mods can be found here.

zargulthewizard
In-game: zargul

Minetest Little Pony - friendship is magicpoints.

by zargulthewizard » Post

Note: I typed this on my phone and have never made a mod from scratch, so please excuse impossibilities/unclarity. Mentions to a 3D skin assumes the lua entity attachment method for such (do I remond any Adventures in Odyssey fans of Eugene Melsner?).

The following is an idea for either a mod or subgame for Minetest which implements elements from the world of Equestria. There may or may not be an ultimate goal to the mod, but either way the player is better off making friends than enemies. Magic is available to unicorns and like beasts only except in special cases of incantation spells or magical items. In the case of creatures having direct magical power (ie: unicorns), they have a hud bar which is depleted as spells are cast (harder spells using more of the "magic strength"), and slowly refills at a rate based on such things as weather or not the pony is flying or running, how hungry they are, and if they are injured. There is a limit as to how much their magic bar can fill: this is their magic strength and can be affected by health, usage, and (of course) friendship. Flying affects an allicorn's aim. Magic can be used to as a weapon or to perform operations such as interacting with a chest at long ranges. Special written spells can be executed by unicorns which affect the weapon function of their horn. The spells are items which wear out as they are used (except for spells like teleporting or light). The horn is an item in the inventory which cannot be thrown away. The easiest way to do this may be to add a tab to the inventory especially for horns with a horn dispenser slot that only works if there is not a horn already in the backpack, and an empty slot to put spells in. The horn then operates like a tool. Wings are simple: the fly privilege. If the player has fly privilege, wings are shown on his/her 3D skin and they are registered as a pegasus (or allocorn). If they are flying, their hunger bar is depleted faster. Maybe all special pony characteristics should be priviledges. Like: strongkick, magic, changeling (one needs a bad guy for the mod to be complete), eoh (elements of harmony usable by this character), planets (this character can move the sun and moon, probably equivalent to settime but with more stuff like locking the current time or causing an eclipse). Friends are made by being kind. One can ask for another pony's status (of which they may only return part), and help them with any problems they might have. Bigger things (like helping them defeat an enemy) will result in more trust (they are more likely to help you and less likely to somehow become your enemy). Changelings can interfere with friendships quite badly, and the code for them will probably be quite complex. The basics are that they gain food equivalence and magic strength from any friends of whom they are impersonating while slowly depleting the friend's trust for everyone else. They take a moment to transform and can be prevented from doing so by attack as they require a certain amount of magicpoints to transform, which can be quickly depleted in defending themselves. Don't let them fool you with kind acts, either.
May God be with you, always.

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

ouch. that a lot of unicorn text.
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

zargulthewizard

Yeah, I wanted to be detailed. The only mod I've ever done was a modification of existing TNT code, so I don't know how much one would need to know. Also, I feel like I'm ordering a custom made mansion from japan. So I wanted to leave as few ambiguous points as possible.

Byakuren
GitHub: raymoo
IRC: Hijiri
In-game: Raymoo + Clownpiece

by Byakuren » Post

You can be detailed but you should use paragraphs.
Every time a mod API is left undocumented, a koala dies.

ugo

by ugo » Post

Edit: Ok, I don't need it anymore.
Last edited by ugo on Fri Oct 06, 2017 15:32, edited 1 time in total.

zargulthewizard

Byakuren wrote:You can be detailed but you should use paragraphs.
Like I said, I typed it on my phone. There's no tab key, and I was in such a hurry copying it to the computer I didn't want to take the time to edit it. I'll post an edited version in just a minute...

zargulthewizard

Apologies for the tab excuse. Blah.

The following is an idea for either a mod or subgame for Minetest which implements elements from the world of Equestria. There may or may not be an ultimate goal to the mod, but either way the player is better off making friends than enemies.

Magic is available to unicorns and like beasts only, except in special cases of incantation spells or magical items. In the case of creatures having direct magical power (ie: unicorns), they have a hud bar which is depleted as spells are cast (harder spells using more of the "magic strength"), and slowly refills at a rate based on such things as weather or not the pony is flying or running, how hungry they are, and if they are injured. There is a limit as to how much their magic bar can fill: this is their magic strength and can be affected by health, usage, and (of course) friendship. Magic can be used to as a weapon or to perform operations such as interacting with a chest at long ranges.

Flying affects an allicorn's aim.

Special written spells can be executed by unicorns which affect the weapon function of their horn. The spells are items which wear out as they are used (except for spells like teleporting or light).

The horn is an item in the inventory which cannot be thrown away. The easiest way to do this may be to add a tab to the inventory especially for horns with a horn dispenser slot that only works if there is not a horn already in the backpack, and an empty slot to put spells in. The horn then operates like a tool.

Wings are simple: the fly privilege. If the player has fly privilege, wings are shown on his/her 3D skin and they are registered as a pegasus (or allocorn). If they are flying, their hunger bar is depleted faster.

Maybe all special pony characteristics should be priviledges. Like: strongkick, magic, changeling (one needs a bad guy for the mod to be complete), eoh (elements of harmony usable by this character), planets (this character can move the sun and moon, probably equivalent to settime but with more stuff like locking the current time or causing an eclipse).

Friends are made by being kind. One can ask for another pony's status (which includes things like hunger and wether or not they are running away from something, of which they may only return part), and help them with any problems they might have. Bigger things (like helping them defeat an enemy) will result in more trust (they are more likely to help you and less likely to somehow become your enemy).

Changelings can interfere with friendships quite badly, and the code for them will probably be quite complex. The basics are that they gain food equivalence and magic strength from any friends of whom they are impersonating while slowly depleting the friend's trust for everyone else. They take a moment to transform and can be prevented from doing so by attack as they require a certain amount of magicpoints to transform, which can be quickly depleted in defending themselves. Don't let them fool you with kind acts, either.

Punk

by Punk » Post

I think about Mendel's Genetics for manipulation plants and fruits (maybe animals too). Is it possible? Any ideas?

roboto
GitHub: NewbProgrammer101
In-game: akoek

by roboto » Post

Punk wrote:I think about Mendel's Genetics for manipulation plants and fruits (maybe animals too). Is it possible? Any ideas?
+1

Chem871
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Chem Nyx

by Chem871 » Post

It'd be really cool, if there was a Technic add-on that added an Omnitool, a rechargeable tool, that on right-click, changed to one of the 5 default tools, pick, shovel, axe, sword, and hoe, and its texture changed according to what tool it was. Also something cool would be rechargeable armor that gave protection as long as there was charge, and if you got hurt wearing it, it wears down the charge a bit, until it was empty, and then it would be like not wearing any armor at all. If you want to use these ideas, feel free!
What is SCP-055?

Gerald
In-game: gerald7

by Gerald » Post

Punk wrote:I think about Mendel's Genetics for manipulation plants and fruits (maybe animals too). Is it possible? Any ideas?
I did this once, but never published the code. The biggest problem is the itemstack of the seeds. If seeds are not stackable, inventories become messy. If they stack if they have the same genes, one can find out the genotypes super easy. A third option are mixed stacks, but this needs some work.

Chem871

by Chem871 » Post

Just try using a chance factor for what the seeds will be.
What is SCP-055?

Punk

by Punk » Post

Chem871 wrote:Just try using a chance factor for what the seeds will be.
Gerald wrote:
I did this once, but never published the code. The biggest problem is the itemstack of the seeds. If seeds are not stackable, inventories become messy. If they stack if they have the same genes, one can find out the genotypes super easy. A third option are mixed stacks, but this needs some work.
Interesting! Mixed stacks would be the best, IMO.
Chem871 wrote:Just try using a chance factor for what the seeds will be.
Well, I know the sapling tree have a 25% chance to bear a tree with apples.

With a genetic mod you would have a 100% chance if you want. I imagined something like recessive gene and dominant genes.

zargulthewizard

Chem871 wrote:It'd be really cool, if there was a Technic add-on that added an Omnitool, a rechargeable tool, that on right-click, changed to one of the 5 default tools, pick, shovel, axe, sword, and hoe, and its texture changed according to what tool it was. Also something cool would be rechargeable armor that gave protection as long as there was charge, and if you got hurt wearing it, it wears down the charge a bit, until it was empty, and then it would be like not wearing any armor at all. If you want to use these ideas, feel free!
I'm not sure about the omnitool, though a military shovel that switches between pick, shovel, and hoe (real thing) would be quite realistic. I think that the armor sounds cool! One thing, though. If you stick your ordinary armor in a tool workshop I think the same thing happens. The rechargeable armor would, however, not break and vanish once depleted.

Punk

by Punk » Post

Is there a topic like "Post your subgame request/ideas here"?

ThomasMonroe
GitHub: ThomasMonroe314
IRC: ThomasMonroe TMcSquared
In-game: ThomasMonroe TMcSquared

by ThomasMonroe » Post

not that Ik of, but technically they are mods, so I guess you could post it here
I don't make messes, I just, er...disturb the local entropy!

roboto
GitHub: NewbProgrammer101
In-game: akoek

by roboto » Post

Punk wrote:Is there a topic like "Post your subgame request/ideas here"?
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=18668

Chem871

by Chem871 » Post

What about having a container with fuel in it, with fuel pipes attached to some furnaces, and anytime a furnace would use up some fuel, the container burns the fuel instead, and it powers the furnaces, so that if something that gets used as fuel would drop an empty bucket, or an empty bottle, the bucket/bottle wouldn't get eaten up by the furnace(s). This would be very handy!
What is SCP-055?

ThomasMonroe
GitHub: ThomasMonroe314
IRC: ThomasMonroe TMcSquared
In-game: ThomasMonroe TMcSquared

by ThomasMonroe » Post

couldn't you make something like that via pipeworks and mesecons?
I don't make messes, I just, er...disturb the local entropy!

Chem871

by Chem871 » Post

Something without those heavy mods would be preferable.
What is SCP-055?

zargulthewizard

Chem871 wrote:Something without those heavy mods would be preferable.
Mesecons and pipeworks? Heavy?! They run on my cheaper Android just fine. I really can't imagine what machine one could use that could run Minetest but have trouble with pipeworks. Of course, if you really aren't prejudging the mods, you have my condolences
When I and just pipework and not mesecons, it was a pain.

zargulthewizard

zargulthewizard wrote:Apologies for the tab excuse. Blah.

The following is an idea for either a mod or subgame for Minetest which implements elements from the world of Equestria. There may or may not be an ultimate goal to the mod, but either way the player is better off making friends than enemies.

Magic is available to unicorns and like beasts only, except in special cases of incantation spells or magical items. In the case of creatures having direct magical power (ie: unicorns), they have a hud bar which is depleted as spells are cast (harder spells using more of the "magic strength"), and slowly refills at a rate based on such things as weather or not the pony is flying or running, how hungry they are, and if they are injured. There is a limit as to how much their magic bar can fill: this is their magic strength and can be affected by health, usage, and (of course) friendship. Magic can be used to as a weapon or to perform operations such as interacting with a chest at long ranges.

Flying affects an allicorn's aim.

Special written spells can be executed by unicorns which affect the weapon function of their horn. The spells are items which wear out as they are used (except for spells like teleporting or light).

The horn is an item in the inventory which cannot be thrown away. The easiest way to do this may be to add a tab to the inventory especially for horns with a horn dispenser slot that only works if there is not a horn already in the backpack, and an empty slot to put spells in. The horn then operates like a tool.

Wings are simple: the fly privilege. If the player has fly privilege, wings are shown on his/her 3D skin and they are registered as a pegasus (or allocorn). If they are flying, their hunger bar is depleted faster.

Maybe all special pony characteristics should be priviledges. Like: strongkick, magic, changeling (one needs a bad guy for the mod to be complete), eoh (elements of harmony usable by this character), planets (this character can move the sun and moon, probably equivalent to settime but with more stuff like locking the current time or causing an eclipse).

Friends are made by being kind. One can ask for another pony's status (which includes things like hunger and wether or not they are running away from something, of which they may only return part), and help them with any problems they might have. Bigger things (like helping them defeat an enemy) will result in more trust (they are more likely to help you and less likely to somehow become your enemy).

Changelings can interfere with friendships quite badly, and the code for them will probably be quite complex. The basics are that they gain food equivalence and magic strength from any friends of whom they are impersonating while slowly depleting the friend's trust for everyone else. They take a moment to transform and can be prevented from doing so by attack as they require a certain amount of magicpoints to transform, which can be quickly depleted in defending themselves. Don't let them fool you with kind acts, either.
I'm still looking for this. Does it exist already, is it too heavy, not enough demand for the amount of work it would take, or just impossible?

Punk

by Punk » Post

Not for a mod, but for standard game:
Bush sapling with chances (25% maybe) grow another fruit.

zargulthewizard

Sounds good. Like, berries? Having a strangely hard time remembering what fruit grows on bushes. Should be weaker than apples at healing since bushes are more common and easier to plant.