Post your mod requests/ideas here

Ender3Guy
GitHub: MisterPrintf

Re: Post your mod requests/ideas here

by Ender3Guy » Post

Hugues Ross wrote:Lua's syntax and quirks (arrays start at 1, for instance) may take some getting used to, but it's a pretty simple language overall. Go for it!
Thanks for the encouragement! I started working on it today and have bronze, stone and steel swords forgeable. I also am working on an obsidian sword, which requires a complex sequence of crafting and smelting.

Looking ahead, I'll probably add forging for all the other tools, as well as shears or something for cutting leaves. Once that is done I'll probably post the mod.

ShallowDweller

by ShallowDweller » Post

I have no idea if those are possible nor how intensive it would be for the computer to run them but...

1) Something similar to minecraft's mod light level overlay: it puts a number that shows the light level of the air block above those blocks within a short range. green numbers for light levels too high for monster spawn and red numbers for light levels low enough for monster spawn. even if you don't have to worry about monster spawn, it is very usefull for underground/nighttime/indoors farming and for efficient light source distribution.
Spoiler
Maybe add the overlay as an effect of a placed item? Or allow the player to chose the color overlay for each light level?

2) There was a crafting manager mod in minecraft that solved crafting conflicts by adding a pair of arrow buttons under the output, showing how many possible outputs existed for a given recipe and allowing the player to pick wichever one they wanted. The player would click on the arrows to browse the possible outputs. I'm not sure if that would work for furnaces, but it could work for the in-inventory crafting. Is it possible to inplement in a mod that would be compatible to all the inventory mods? Or even in the inventory mods themselves?

MordMaister

by MordMaister » Post

Hi,

I was wondering if it would be possible to and a new type of liquid into the game(slime). I would like to even try to mode by myself (since I have a Lua/Love2d experience from my WIP project), bit I'm not sure where should I look at.

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

MordMaister wrote:Hi,

I was wondering if it would be possible to and a new type of liquid into the game(slime). I would like to even try to mode by myself (since I have a Lua/Love2d experience from my WIP project), bit I'm not sure where should I look at.
start here https://github.com/minetest/minetest_ga ... .lua#L2175

then you can search through various files where liquids are put to work
https://github.com/minetest/minetest_ga ... mapgen.lua

(depending on what you want slime to do/be used for)

Don't forget to grab a copy of the MT bible https://rubenwardy.com/minetest_modding ... index.html

And keep this handy as well https://github.com/minetest/minetest/bl ... ua_api.txt
A Wonderful World

Red_King_Cyclops

by Red_King_Cyclops » Post

MordMaister wrote:Hi,

Of course it would be possible. I recommend copying liquid code from default and modifying it.

Slime liquids have been done before, but there is nothing wrong with multiple slime mods being in existence.
Currently working on new mods.

melissatreglia

by melissatreglia » Post

I don't know if this has been posted before (I did a search in the forums and didn't find anything). But how about a world map you can pull up that shows the places you've explored?

I would come in real handy for me, because I'm soooo lost on my world and just want to get back home!

BuckarooBanzay
GitHub: BuckarooBanzay
IRC: BuckarooBanzai
In-game: BuckarooBanzai

by BuckarooBanzay » Post

melissatreglia wrote:I don't know if this has been posted before (I did a search in the forums and didn't find anything). But how about a world map you can pull up that shows the places you've explored?

I would come in real handy for me, because I'm soooo lost on my world and just want to get back home!
Maybe this can help you: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=21999
Its not an ingame solution though...
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Not active here anymore, contact me on the minetest discord, irc, lemmy or github (for programming issues)

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

melissareglia,

Being lost is no fun.

You can press the F5 key, which will tell you your position, and also tell you in which direction you are looking.

Try the Orienteering mod, by Wuzzy. There are some inworld items that you can use to help you navigate better, in world.

Also, you can download the minetestmapper or minetestmapper_iso applications. These applications are essentially the same. They will make a map of the explored world. From the map, you can probably find your way back.

In the minetestmapper program, it will help you if you set the options to draw the origin and they scale. This places a red circle at the center of the map, for position 0,y,0. It will also draw hash marks along the edges of the image that indicate distance.

Good luck!

Shad

StarNinjas
GitHub: starninjas
IRC: StarNinjas
In-game: J1

by StarNinjas » Post

melissareglia you can use a teleporting command to get back to 0,0,0 cords, simply grant yourself teleport privilege

Code: Select all

/grantme teleport
, and the use the command

/teleport x,y,z
(replacing the xyz with your cords) also you probably know but you can use the

/sethome
(used to set your home) command again also if your granted sethome
Don't go to bed tonight, without knowing what would happen if you died. https://thegospelfilm.org/

duane
GitHub: duane-r

by duane » Post

melissatreglia wrote:But how about a world map you can pull up that shows the places you've explored?
This would be fun, and not all that difficult, but the minimap is usually all I need to get around on the surface. It's completely useless underground, but I'm not sure how feasible an underground world map would be. How would you follow tunnels with it? The other problem with the minimap is having to locate iron before you can ever use it (which seems silly, since there were maps in the bronze age).
Believe in people and you don't need to believe anything else.

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

duane,

Just a random thought. What if, for each chunk, you built an image from the topmost visible node, assigning a color value, like minetestmapper, and constructing an image, on the fly, for each generated chunk. If possible, also store that generated tile string for the chunk, and use it, if available, or generate if not.

I made a map mod at one point, but the image files for the world quickly get too large for MT to handle. Even with an image size of 4096x4096, for balancing quick load times with detailed images, would require a substantial number of image tiles. If I tiled a world map at 2km intervals, (30x30) = 900 image files would need to be created. This essentially blows MT up. Lower quality images didn't really provide enough detail to be useful. Still, if you play in a small enough area, the mod might be useful.

Here's the link for my lib_sfinv_map mod on github. Please note, you will need to use minetestmapper et.al. to generate a map image, and then place that map image into the folder. I haven't worked on or used this mod in some time, but I can improve it, if there is interest. It should be compatible with Unified Inventory, Inv Plus, and sfinv. It also provide a standalone hud, a placeable map and maptable, as well as a hand held map.

Shad

duane
GitHub: duane-r

by duane » Post

ShadMOrdre wrote:I made a map mod at one point, but the image files for the world quickly get too large for MT to handle.
All it really needs to be useful is a mark for your location and a mark for your sleep point or spawn or whatever. Adding labeled waypoints would just be gravy. Most game maps (not minimaps) are large scale, with forests, rivers, cities, etc., but they're still nice to have. I'm thinking less resolution than 1:10, personally, maybe less than 1:100.
Believe in people and you don't need to believe anything else.

matyilona200
GitHub: matyilona

by matyilona200 » Post

I experimented a bit with CMSs, and wrote a mod that adds onscreen markers. It's not a full map, but can act as waypoints.

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

matyilona200,

Is what your mod accomplishes possible with server side mod?

I'm personally not a fan of CSM, but from a technical standpoint, I think a CSM solution would not be ideal. I could be wrong though, ..... so I'll take a peak.

duane is right, a map mod, with a larger scale map and player / place / waypoint markers.

Extex
GitHub: Extex101
In-game: Extex

by Extex » Post

Is there a mod I can use to make a heightmap based map using a selected image that I can use on android
Creator of jelys_pizzaria and motorbike, and player of persistent kingdoms. RIP

Skamiz Kazzarch
GitHub: Skamiz
In-game: Skamiz

by Skamiz Kazzarch » Post

Extex, not sure how the usabilitz is on android, but this:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=12666&hilit=heightmap
looks like what you are looking for.

Extex
GitHub: Extex101
In-game: Extex

by Extex » Post

That crashes with this error:

2019-09-30 18:09:36: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: Lua: finishGenRuntime error from mod 'realterrain' in callback environment_OnGenerated(): ...rage/emulated/0/Minetest/mods/realterrain/mapgen.lua:87: 'popen' not supported
2019-09-30 18:09:36: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2019-09-30 18:09:36: ERROR[Main]: [C]: in function 'popen'
2019-09-30 18:09:36: ERROR[Main]: ...rage/emulated/0/Minetest/mods/realterrain/mapgen.lua:87: in function 'get_structures_for_chunk'
2019-09-30 18:09:36: ERROR[Main]: ...rage/emulated/0/Minetest/mods/realterrain/mapgen.lua:658: in function 'generate'
2019-09-30 18:09:36: ERROR[Main]: ...torage/emulated/0/Minetest/mods/realterrain/init.lua:285: in function '?'
2019-09-30 18:09:36: ERROR[Main]: ...torage/emulated/0/Minetest/builtin/game/register.lua:419: in function <...torage/emulated/0/Minetest/builtin/game/register.lua:399>
2019-09-30 18:09:36: ACTION[Server]: Extex leaves game. List of players:
2019-09-30 18:09:36: ACTION[Main]: Server: Shutting down
Creator of jelys_pizzaria and motorbike, and player of persistent kingdoms. RIP

Skamiz Kazzarch
GitHub: Skamiz
In-game: Skamiz

by Skamiz Kazzarch » Post

Did you disable mod security like described in the post? If it isn't that, I am out of advice.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Skamiz Kazzarch wrote:Did you disable mod security like described in the post? If it isn't that, I am out of advice.
Never, ever, disable mod security. Any mod that asks you to do that is badly programmed. Mods which need extra permissions should be made into trusted mods
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

I decided that I will be the one to suggest these movement styles. Minecraft has had crouching for a long time and it recently got crawling as well. When will someone make a mod that adds these to Minetest?

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

Wouldn't this just be a matter of using a player model with these animations?

Player_anim, as far as I can tell, wouldn't enable this type of animation, so it's got to be a simple model update.

I would suggest starting with the 3d_armor or the multiskin variant player model, and add the animations in blender.

That would solve a multitude of requests and other potential issues.

Nathan S. is probably the person to ask, or stu himself.

Shad

Miniontoby
GitHub: Miniontoby
IRC: Miniontoby
In-game: Miniontoby

by Miniontoby » Post

Could someone make a mod where you have an elyctra and firework (the same as in Minecraft) that you could use to fly with the fireworks and elyctra as an cape/wings (P.S. please not that you then get the fly priv, becease it need to give a boost)
Working on mtctl ---- Check my mod "Doorbell" -- Stay safe

amadin

Mod request

by amadin » Post

Request to add portal from Nether mod or from another mod, to working it with Caverealms and/or Caverealms_lite mods. The portal is also needed for the server with bedrock layer level like in MC and Caverealms mod.

Visitor247

Mesecons Wireblocks

by Visitor247 » Post

Hi,
Mesecons are, among many things, nice for putting switchable lights or similar in your creations.
Unfortunately when it comes to wiring mesecons wires are not very suitable because they seem to have been built for a 2D environment.

Initial idea: Wireblocks
So why use this small flat wire-things and not an entire block? A block would make it much easier to build more aesthetic and also to reach the actors (lights, pistons etc.) more efficiently.

A wireblock would have two to six outlets which look like the end of a wire. Let's call them wiredots (see attachment for an example, wires in concrete).

There would be eight different wireblocks which can be turned any way:
- 2 with 2 wiredots: one on opposite sides, one on butting edges
- 2 with 3 wiredots: one like a t-junction, one with three butting edges
- 2 with 4 wiredots: one with insulated opposite sides, one with insulated butting sides
- 1 with 5 wiredots
- 1 with 6 wiredots

All wiredots within a block are conntected. This gives you the opportunity to wire lights an other actors any way you want in 3D. With the closed sides (insulated, without wiredots) you can use the block in many different ways to reach only those actors you want to reach.

Mesecon blocks could be directly attached to wireblocks. With the switches and lights, this will probably look better in context.

Going further: More Wireblocks
Like moreblocks made new blocks out of default blocks, there could be wires within default materials.
Imagine the 7 wireblocks (you won't need the one with six wiredots) made from different materials.
You could build a one block thick ceiling made out of wood wireblocks with wiredots only at those places where you want to attach a light. The wireblock could then go through a one block thick wall where they end with a visible wiredot where you then attack a swith for the lights.

And even further: Changing Mesecons
When I came up with this idea, it was adding new blocks to mesecons. While thinking about it I could find no reason why mesecon blocks are flat.
A lua controller could as easily be a block. The outlets could be the four sides showing wiredots which are annotated with A, B, C and D (there then could be an E at the bottom ;-)
All the gates could have wiredots on the sides annotated with IN and OUT, so it would be more clear where to attach the wireblocks.

Downside:
I can think of two at the moment:
- The wires are not visible, so you can't see where they go. But then, that's just the point of it. And of course wireblock don't glow.
- In case of more_wireblocks you have to turn the blocks to work the way you want, which will also turn the textures of the insulated sides, which will make a plane of insulated wireblocks look uneven.

So, what do you think?
Unfortunately I'm not able to program this, but if someones willing to I would provide textures.
Attachments
swireblock.png
swireblock.png (311.04 KiB) Viewed 935 times

Miniontoby
GitHub: Miniontoby
IRC: Miniontoby
In-game: Miniontoby

by Miniontoby » Post

That's a good idea. I have also a one: a comparator. The same as in Minecraft.
Working on mtctl ---- Check my mod "Doorbell" -- Stay safe