Why is the nyancat so discrepant?

Hybrid Dog
GitHub: HybridDog

Why is the nyancat so discrepant?

by Hybrid Dog » Post

The nyancat is no longer in minetest_game, so I am no longer ashamed to write about this.
Some years ago, I have edited the nyancat mapgen code so that it prints the nyancat position when a nyancat is generated on the map. I have then created a map with the same mapseed than some server's mapseed and generated map underground; lots of nyancat positions were printed.

I thought that by doing this, I could find nyancats at those positions in singleplayer and find them at the same positions on the server, too. The nyancat was the most valuable item in minetest, so this should make me rich on any server where nyancats are generated.

However, it did not work. For some reason which I still do not know, at almost all printed positions, there was no nyancat. And when there was a nyancat at a position, then I could find many nyancats in the same map chunk. I assume that somehow the mapgen often overwrites all the nyancats within a map chunk.

Someone could have intentionally implemented nyancats like this and I would like to know how this rare nyancat generation works.

The fact that when I find a nyancat, it is likely to find other ones in the same map chunk, is very interesting in my opinion, especially because I would not know this by just looking at the nyancat generation code. I think this means that the nyancat positions have a high discrepancy because they are random and nonetheless in groups.

‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪

cuthbertdoublebarrel
GitHub: cuthbert

Re: Why is the nyancat so discrepant?

by cuthbertdoublebarrel » Post

this is a major minetest world problem .
the community needs to solve the issue of the missing nyancat,
are there other valuable rare artifacts and easter eggs etc hidden within the worlds .
is there a secret mystery mod that generates them ?
Project BrutalTest...hide your Petz

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Here's a copy of the (previously) official nyancat mod https://content.minetest.net/packages/r ... y/nyancat/
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

cuthbertdoublebarrel
GitHub: cuthbert

by cuthbertdoublebarrel » Post

cheers much appreciated got get me a nyancat !
was watching Ph1LzA beside himself over a very rare zombie the other day
sad as i never even played minecraft but not enough minetest vids out there to feed my obssesion
Project BrutalTest...hide your Petz

runs

by runs » Post

pbj is not nyancat. No kawaii.

Nyancat was special.