We need better anticheat against softwares like cheat engine.

LC Creations
GitHub: LandonAConway

We need better anticheat against softwares like cheat engine.

by LC Creations » Post

So, I'v been looking into how anti cheat works. I want to make my own survival server some day. (It still won't be in a long time). And I want to be able to make sure nobody can cheat AT ALL. This is tough becuase when creating a software, you cannot prevent people from cheating but you can discourage them from doing it by making it difficult. The problem, cheat engine is easy to use without getting detected unless your hacking privs for flying or such. A player can simply use cheat engine to do things like maximizing the amount of nodes they have in their inventory and it still goes undetected by the server. So why would a player want to cheat fly privs or noclip to get a bunch of diamond or mese when they can just find a few of what they want hack the amount of the itemstack they have in their inventory? Nothing shows in the server log when somebody does this with cheat engine. Is there a mod that already takes care of this problem? Can we create a mod that can detect this and if so how?
cdb_ac3a146dcafb

Mineminer

Re: We need better anticheat against softwares like cheat engine.

by Mineminer » Post

LC Creations wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 20:41
So, I'v been looking into how anti cheat works. I want to make my own survival server some day. (It still won't be in a long time). And I want to be able to make sure nobody can cheat AT ALL.

Well that's your first problem, you frankly cannot catch them all. Just like real world hacking you can't make something "hacker proof" either (not even a server in a air gap is safe!).

What you CAN do is what experts do all of the time, prevent, contain and control. If implemented correctly and you are proactive about moderating your server as well you can probably get a good chunk of them and nearly all of the especially annoying ones.

After all some cheaters are just worth leaving behind and let them rot in their own defeat of spoiling the fun of their own gaming.

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

If a person can make it....

a person can reverse engineer it....

Make the game unique enough that the effort to make a simple hack isn't worth the effort. It's not like an MT based game is ever really gonna compete with enough users against commercial games to make hackers pay attention. But that sounds discouaraging...

Consider that a hardened server and meaningful server side administration and security is more secure than a "scriptable" opensource game engine, and that engine based security and anti cheats are more secure than any lua based mod.

Back to the main point. Instead of making a game where digging blocks and stuffing an inventory is even a part of the game, or is handled in the same ways as MTG, that it is probably going to make hacking a "standard" game easier. Instead of depending on built in user inventories, or MC inspired clones, think outside the box. Far outside the box.

All this to say........

If it can be coded.....it can be decoded!

Probably best to make the game, and then learn how to better secure it, than to try, and fail, to secure something that does not yet exist.

Shad

AiTechEye
GitHub: AiTechEye

by AiTechEye » Post

I tried to give my self stuff in cheatengine, and it does't work online, the amount resets again, but you can change your position and speed.

To prevent speed hacking, you can check an amount of dug nodes >= fair amount of nodes in a time, e.g max 50nodes/s.

And position check their distance from position to position, this cheat is glitchy, the cheater maybe moves back and forward a few hundrads times in an attempt.