Locks, Protection, and Sharing are Kind of a Mess

errant

Locks, Protection, and Sharing are Kind of a Mess

by errant » Post

I'm playing on a public server with PVP enabled with my friend. We built a semi-public base and would like to secure it from griefing.

The mod protector: is on the server, so Protection Blocks are available and I just have to fill in my friends' names to let them build in our base. I have to update a block each time a friend joins, but it's not that big of a deal yet.

The mod locks: is also on the server, so I just have to update names every time a shared chest or door is laid down. Except it's limited to only one type of chest (wooden) and one type of door (wooden). Even though, the server has iron, copper, silver, and so on chests; and nice looking doors (glass, French, Japanese).

This also doesn't cover Refrigerators and Kitchen Cabinets (things that we can visually determine what is inside the container). For those, I happened to make a Skeleton Key and put those in a single Shared Chest. But it's not suitable for chests which will look identical. Also a named Silver Chest will not have its name reflected upon the Skeleton Key.

Now it's starting to be a mess because I have to maintain every chest, door, and protection block. It would be a lot simpler if I just had to update the protection block just to let my friends have access to resources and building within the case.

If I ever want to make a mod to fill in the gaps or have a mod that relies on either locks protection, or sharing, it seems to be an even bigger problem.

I made this clip of me trying to add a name to a shared door.
https://u.teknik.io/w4Ex8.webm

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

Re: Locks, Protection, and Sharing are Kind of a Mess

by Sokomine » Post

errant wrote: Now it's starting to be a mess because I have to maintain every chest, door, and protection block. It would be a lot simpler if I just had to update the protection block just to let my friends have access to resources and building within the case.
Shared chests (i.e. those of my chesttools mod) can help a bit here: If a player can build at the spot the chest is standing at *and* the place is protected, then the player can access the chest automaticly. You only have to add that player to the protection once. Doesn't help with doors yet but the same mechanism might be used there.

It might also be helpful - especially on servers where there are only individual protectors - to be able to globally trust other players without having to add them to each individual protector.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

I think the main problem with security on servers (i.e. protection of areas and nodes and everything that belongs to it, like interaction, sharing, etc.) is that there are no engine-side features. There are some "dummy functions" that are supposed to be overwritten by mods, but that's it.

If you want a protection mod the mod author has to implement everything by their own. So if a mod does not work properly with protection then its likely the case that neither of the mod's authors ha added support of the other mod. You either need to implement calling the dummy functions and hope that there is a protection mod or the protection mod needs to "manually" alter the other mod's nodes.

0siribix
GitHub: 0siribix
In-game: 0siribix

by 0siribix » Post

This is actually one of the things I hope to improve in the very near future. First I want to make protection blocks compatible with areas mod, second I was thinking about making the chests from technic a standalone and these various container mods like technic chests, armor display, item frames, and mailboxes compatible with areas. What I'm stuck on right now is trying to find a way to get clients to recognize these protections. I'll try to update here when I get these mods updated/released

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Protector Redo has it's own doors, chests and if you use Doors Redo then you also have a new keytool that can switch any registered door to open, locked, protected also.

0siribix
GitHub: 0siribix
In-game: 0siribix

by 0siribix » Post

I love Protector Redo's ease of use but I don't like how it isn't compatible with Areas. I'm considering writing a protection library and modifying existing protection solutions to use that. This is part of a bigger idea to have per-player permissions which include protection. I had thought that this would require engine changes but I'm looking into doing this with SSCSM

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Usually you would use a single protection mod, and protector redo does work with areas and wont let you place protection blocks inside an already protected area from either mod, but to check periphary corners would slow down protection redo too much to add it.