License of media file

SFENCE
GitHub: SFENCE
In-game: SFENCE

License of media file

by SFENCE » Post

I am trying to add a mannequin to the Clothing mod.

I want to use .obj file delivered from skinsdb_3d_armor_character_5.blend.

But skinsdb mod is under GPLv3 license, and Clothing mod under LGPLv2.1 license for code and CC BY-SA 3.0 for multimedia files.
The Clothing mod cannot be moved to GPLv3, because it is based on old code from more authors.

The author of the skinsdb_3d_armor_character_5.blend looks to be inactive for more than a year.

Is it possible to be done in some way without breaking licensing?
cdb_3P0AYqjEIn68

deleted c0a803ab

Re: License of media file

by deleted c0a803ab » Post

Did you try to contact the author(s)?

loosewheel
GitHub: loosewheel
In-game: loosewheel

by loosewheel » Post

I don't know the absolute legal answer to this question, but I don't think you have to release every component of your mod under a single licence. If you've gained a component that allows reproducing, modifying and redistribution, you can maintain the original licence on that component.

SFENCE

by SFENCE » Post

loosewheel wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 22:28
I don't know the absolute legal answer to this question, but I don't think you have to release every component of your mod under a single licence. If you've gained a component that allows reproducing, modifying and redistribution, you can maintain the original licence on that component.
Thanks for your answer. I check the problem of multi-licensing, and it looks like LGPLv2.1 can be legally relicensed under GPLv2 or GPLv3 license.
cdb_3P0AYqjEIn68

SFENCE

by SFENCE » Post

SFENCE wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 15:16
loosewheel wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 22:28
Thanks for your answer. I check the problem of multi-licensing, and it looks like LGPLv2.1 can be legally relicensed under GPLv2 or GPLv3 license.

But GPLv3 looks to be compatible only with CC BY-SA 4.0, not CC BY-SA 3.0.

So I probably have to keep it outside the basic mod.
cdb_3P0AYqjEIn68