Peripheral Biomes: Share your opinion!

Elektrika
In-game: elektrika

Peripheral Biomes: Share your opinion!

by Elektrika » Post

Hey, I am doing a biomes mod, let me know what yall think of these biome ideas! Feel free to suggest something!!!

Biomes:

Plains
Flower plains
Sunflower plains
Shrubby plains
Corrupt plains
Desert
Frozen desert
Desert mountains
Frozen desert mountains
Corrupt desert
Corrupt desert mountains
Savannah
Savannah mountains
Shrubby savannah
Jungle
Jungle mountains
Thick jungle
Tropical beach
Frozen beach
Stony beach
Swamp
Warm swamp
Cool swamp
Oak forest
Dense oak forest
Oak forest mountains
Dense oak forest mountains
Tall oak forest
Tall dense oak forest
Taiga
Taiga mountains
Mega taiga
Mega taiga mountains
Alpine
Alpine mountains
Snowy alpine
Snowy alpine mountains
Birch forest
Birch forest mountains
Dense birch forest
Dense birch forest mountains
Tall birch forest
Tall dense birch forest
Deciduous forest
Dense deciduous forest
Flower forest
Dark oak forest
Dark oak forest mountains
Redwood forest
Corrupt forest
Corrupt forest mountains
Dense corrupt forest
Dense corrupt forest mountains
Mountains
Mountain caps
Tundra
Snow plains
Volcanic plains
Volcanic mountains
Volcanic beach
Glacial ocean
Cold shallow ocean
Cold ocean
Cold deep ocean
Lukewarm shallow ocean
Lukewarm ocean
Lukewarm deep ocean
Warm shallow ocean
Warm ocean
Warm deep ocean
Volcanic shallow ocean
Volcanic ocean
Volcanic deep ocean
Wastes
Forest wastes
Waste mountains
Enchanted forest
Enchanted forest mountains
Dense enchanted forest
Shallow enchanted ocean
Enchanted ocean
Deep enchanted ocean
Fungal forest
Dense fungal forest
Glowing mushroom forest
Dense glowing mushroom forest
Twilight forest
Dense twilight forest
Crater fields
Red crystal plains
Red crystal mountains
Red crystal forest
Yellow crystal plains
Yellow crystal mountains
Yellow crystal forest
Blue crystal plains
Blue crystal mountains
Blue crystal forest
Prismous crystal plains
Prismous crystal mountains
Prismous crystal forest
Crystal plains
Crystal mountains
Crystal forest
Crystal beach
Ironwood forest
Dense ironwood forest
Steppe
Overgrown steppe
Prairie
Iron hills
Iron peaks
Black hills
Black peaks
Gemstone hills
Gemstone peaks
Abyss???
Sky Islands
Forested sky islands
Sky plates
Overgrown sky plates
Snowy sky islands
Misty forest
Misty mountains
Misty plains
Forest of despair
Dark forest of despair
Phased forest
Tall phased forest
Dense phased forest
Dense phased forest mountains
Tall dense phased forest
Tall phased forest mountains
Divine forest
Dense divine forest
Forest of mystery
Lost city
Salt flats
Scorched barrens
Scorched forest
Forgotten meadows
Forbidden forest
Dense forbidden forest
Shattered plain
Shattered forest
Interdimensional alignment
Chaos lands
Last edited by Elektrika on Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:26, edited 3 times in total.

DOOM_possum
In-game: DOOM_possum

Re: Biomes Mod Vote

by DOOM_possum » Post

sure. throw in some Graves, (Monuments to Past Leaders), with markings on the stone, that can be found but not crafted

Elektrika

by Elektrika » Post

ooo that would fit perfectly in the corrupt biomes...
eh

Gab888

by Gab888 » Post

Maybe chasm and abyss? Anyway, it's gonna be great !

Minix
In-game: Minix

by Minix » Post

Those are a lot of biomes, are you planning to do them all ? Many of those have already been covered in the default Minetest Game and mods like ethereal and dfcaverns.

I think the most unique ones in that list are:
Corruption biomes
Volcanic biomes
Prairie
Crater fields
Crystal biomes
Black peaks/mountains
Twilight Forest
Enchanted biomes
Alpine biomes

Maybe Twilight forest and enchanted biomes have too many similarities and the alpine biomes have to be very unique as not to be the same as the carpathian mapgen from minetest. At least that is how they look in my imagination.

Elektrika

by Elektrika » Post

Minix wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 15:14
Those are a lot of biomes, are you planning to do them all ? Many of those have already been covered in the default Minetest Game and mods like ethereal and dfcaverns.

I think the most unique ones in that list are:
Corruption biomes
Volcanic biomes
Prairie
Crater fields
Crystal biomes
Black peaks/mountains
Twilight Forest
Enchanted biomes
Alpine biomes

Maybe Twilight forest and enchanted biomes have too many similarities and the alpine biomes have to be very unique as not to be the same as the carpathian mapgen from minetest. At least that is how they look in my imagination.
I am planning to add ALL of these biomes. You say some are already covered, I understand. I am trying to keep a more realistic vibe to most of the game as well. Some biomes will be added by the community. I am planning to get up to around 150-200 biomes as to make the game more diverse. I am also gonna recommend using Carpathian mapgen for this mod when I start on it because the terrain will fit the biomes better.
eh

Elektrika

by Elektrika » Post

Gab888 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 14:07
Maybe chasm and abyss? Anyway, it's gonna be great !
I am not sure this is possible using current biome placements. A chasm is the same as the large caves you sometimes see underground. As for the abyss, i'm not sure I can do because that would mean 3-d biome distribution, which is not supported yet. I may be able to add it as a dimension, unless I make it an ocean biome. The idea is now noted in the list though!
eh

Minix

Re: Peripheral Biomes: Share your opinion!

by Minix » Post

Interesting, then you got a huge project underway. The abyss biome suggested by Gab888 sounds awesome, if you could implement it in some way that would be nice. Also, the crater field biome is something I have never seen before in minetest, that sounds really good. Have you considered biomes in the sky ? what about a cloud biome ?

You said that some biomes will be provided by the community, does that mean you will make an API to add biomes ?

freshreplicant
In-game: freshreplicant

by freshreplicant » Post

The ones that jump out at me are:

Tall dense oak forest - A proper dense forest, with tall old growth trees and tangled undergrowth is missing from MTG and modded MTG. Trees tend to be very short, or sparsely planted. It's a 'classic' biome, but so evocative of fairytales and other cultural traditions that I think you can do some cool stuff with the basic idea.

Volcanic shallow ocean
Volcanic ocean
Volcanic deep ocean
- All three of these are cool. Make me think of new landmasses being born in cataclysmic eruptions, or of places in Hawaii and Japan. Aaannd also of Kajiu (Godzilla, Mothra and company).

Enchanted forest - Makes me want to know the story behind this forest. Why is it enchanted? Who enchanted it? Is it populated? Is it dangerous or wonderous - or both in equal measure?

Blue crystal forest - Similar to the above, I want to know more about this forest. What lives there? Can humans find anything edible here? Or is it unforgiving as it is strange?

Steppe - Pretty 'vanilla' compared to the others, but the specification that it's a steppe has me thinking of Mongolia, little ponies, yurts and nomad camps. Interesting potential that hasn't been that explored by other games.

Gemstone hills - Make me think of prospectors going into the hill to stake out their claim and seek their fortune. Who knows if the gemstones have guardians?

My least favourite are the 'Corrupted' Biomes. It's feels like it's been done quite frequently in games, so unless there's something to really set them apart, I'm not sure I'd be very interested in exploring them. Especially if they're Stranger Things/Terraria style corrupted.

If I can offer a suggestion, I would say really think about each biome and try to get a sense of the lore, the ecosystem, the reason for each biome - both 'in-universe' reasons and gameplay reasons. Does anything unique live in the biomes? What does it eat? How do the lifeforms in each biome interact? Is there some way you can attract players there? Surprise them? Give them a specific challenge, obstacle or mystery to solve? Maybe you have epic items that need very rare ingredients from lots of far flung biomes. Or maybe mysteries with hints that point players to check out a totally different type of biome.

Bonus points if you add things to your biomes that give a sense of a real, living breathing world, or a sense multi-layered history. Ruins of various different cultures, each with identifiable architectural styles, stone tables, skeletons, statues, pillars, etc.

A few biomes realised to that extent will probably make a bigger impact than just say, having lots of biomes with different coloured dirt, grass, or trees and little else.

Your project sounds very ambitious and interesting, so I'll keep an eye on it. Good luck!

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

freshreplicant wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 22:32

Tall dense oak forest - A proper dense forest, with tall old growth trees and tangled undergrowth is missing from MTG and modded MTG. Trees tend to be very short, or sparsely planted. It's a 'classic' biome, but so evocative of fairytales and other cultural traditions that I think you can do some cool stuff with the basic idea.
I wholeheartedly agree. A deep, dense forest with proper growth and diversity of life in it would be wonderful.

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

Thoughts on biomes.....

There is/was a hard limit of 256 biomes, according to paramat. I do not know if he ever got around to changing this, but I would guess not, if it's not in the changelog.

Since biomes are nothing more than a combination of heat / humidity values, (which range from -37 to 137 with default noise values), biomes should essentially be a spread of those values. I chose increments of 25, and set biome heat / humidity values to 0, 25, 50, 75, 100. This provides 25 biome definitions.

Within this, generating ores withing the stone, filler, and top nodes for each biome definition allows one to actually create more than 256 biomes, or ecosystems, as I call them in my lib_materials / lib_ecology mods. I am currently generating from 5 to 11 ecosystems within each defined biome.

I am not quite sure if there is also a hard limit or ore definitions or decoration definitions, but if there is, it seems higher than 256.

If there is no limit to ores and decorations, adding these "biomes" as ecosystems would be just as easy and provided more options for ground cover, plantlife, and other terrain features.

This is how I've produced all the landscapes that I post in the screenshots thread.

Shad

Elektrika

by Elektrika » Post

Minix wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 18:30
Interesting, then you got a huge project underway. The abyss biome suggested by Gab888 sounds awesome, if you could implement it in some way that would be nice. Also, the crater field biome is something I have never seen before in minetest, that sounds really good. Have you considered biomes in the sky ? what about a cloud biome ?

You said that some biomes will be provided by the community, does that mean you will make an API to add biomes ?
Yes, I have considered sky-based biomes but idk how i could do this, it would be quite hard to create as I would need to find a way to make a biome like this have slopes on the bottom of the stone all the way down to -31000. I would need help from the core devs on this issue, luckily I have a way to contact them. And the biomes that will be added by the community, I'm not adding an API, I am adding suggested biomes to the list.
eh

Elektrika

by Elektrika » Post

freshreplicant wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 22:32

Volcanic shallow ocean
Volcanic ocean
Volcanic deep ocean
- All three of these are cool. Make me think of new landmasses being born in cataclysmic eruptions, or of places in Hawaii and Japan. Aaannd also of Kajiu (Godzilla, Mothra and company).

Enchanted forest - Makes me want to know the story behind this forest. Why is it enchanted? Who enchanted it? Is it populated? Is it dangerous or wonderous - or both in equal measure?

Blue crystal forest - Similar to the above, I want to know more about this forest. What lives there? Can humans find anything edible here? Or is it unforgiving as it is strange?

Steppe - Pretty 'vanilla' compared to the others, but the specification that it's a steppe has me thinking of Mongolia, little ponies, yurts and nomad camps. Interesting potential that hasn't been that explored by other games.

Gemstone hills - Make me think of prospectors going into the hill to stake out their claim and seek their fortune. Who knows if the gemstones have guardians?

My least favourite are the 'Corrupted' Biomes. It's feels like it's been done quite frequently in games, so unless there's something to really set them apart, I'm not sure I'd be very interested in exploring them. Especially if they're Stranger Things/Terraria style corrupted.

If I can offer a suggestion, I would say really think about each biome and try to get a sense of the lore, the ecosystem, the reason for each biome - both 'in-universe' reasons and gameplay reasons. Does anything unique live in the biomes? What does it eat? How do the lifeforms in each biome interact? Is there some way you can attract players there? Surprise them? Give them a specific challenge, obstacle or mystery to solve? Maybe you have epic items that need very rare ingredients from lots of far flung biomes. Or maybe mysteries with hints that point players to check out a totally different type of biome.

Bonus points if you add things to your biomes that give a sense of a real, living breathing world, or a sense multi-layered history. Ruins of various different cultures, each with identifiable architectural styles, stone tables, skeletons, statues, pillars, etc.

A few biomes realised to that extent will probably make a bigger impact than just say, having lots of biomes with different coloured dirt, grass, or trees and little else.

Your project sounds very ambitious and interesting, so I'll keep an eye on it. Good luck!
I completely understand your point on the corrupted biomes. This is only a temporary name until I can find a better one. It is meant to be the equal opposite of the enchanted forest, a very evil place this will be. Maybe renamed to "tainted???"
eh

Elektrika

by Elektrika » Post

ShadMOrdre wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 02:02
Thoughts on biomes.....

There is/was a hard limit of 256 biomes, according to paramat. I do not know if he ever got around to changing this, but I would guess not, if it's not in the changelog.

Since biomes are nothing more than a combination of heat / humidity values, (which range from -37 to 137 with default noise values), biomes should essentially be a spread of those values. I chose increments of 25, and set biome heat / humidity values to 0, 25, 50, 75, 100. This provides 25 biome definitions.

Within this, generating ores withing the stone, filler, and top nodes for each biome definition allows one to actually create more than 256 biomes, or ecosystems, as I call them in my lib_materials / lib_ecology mods. I am currently generating from 5 to 11 ecosystems within each defined biome.

I am not quite sure if there is also a hard limit or ore definitions or decoration definitions, but if there is, it seems higher than 256.

If there is no limit to ores and decorations, adding these "biomes" as ecosystems would be just as easy and provided more options for ground cover, plantlife, and other terrain features.

This is how I've produced all the landscapes that I post in the screenshots thread.

Shad
I think this was changed when v5.3.0 was released, i think the limit is infinite now, but im not positive. Only one way to find out though.
eh

Elektrika

by Elektrika » Post

I have added a few new biomes to the list. Check it again!!!
eh

Elektrika

by Elektrika » Post

I am about to start working on the ez stuff in this mod.
eh

solars

by solars » Post

Taiga mountains sounds nice. With this you can make a Black Forest too. :)

I wish woods with big trees. Firs are 20-60m high, a wood in Central Europe should be with 20-40m high trees.
The existing biomes are all with dwarf-trees.
My big Minetest map Karsthafen: English thread / German thread / Youtube / German webpage

Minix

by Minix » Post

wait what ? "Interdimensional alignment" ? You got me interested in there, how is that supposed to look like ?

Elektrika

by Elektrika » Post

solars wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 19:30
Taiga mountains sounds nice. With this you can make a Black Forest too. :)

I wish woods with big trees. Firs are 20-60m high, a wood in Central Europe should be with 20-40m high trees.
The existing biomes are all with dwarf-trees.
Actually, more of these have giant trees. Redwood forest has trees 150 blocks tall, alpine has large trees...theres lots of big ones!
eh

Elektrika

by Elektrika » Post

Minix wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 20:05
wait what ? "Interdimensional alignment" ? You got me interested in there, how is that supposed to look like ?
So far i'm thinking of going crazy here, adding about half of the biomes into one single biome, like finding floating islands, phased trees, maybe a couble of weeping ghostwood trees from the forest of despair, probably a few crystals scattered throughout...it is meant to add lore as to why the alien and imagination exist among the realistic biomes...basically creating a place where they collide.
eh