Help With Custom Trees?

Elektrika
In-game: elektrika

Help With Custom Trees?

by Elektrika » Post

I am making a mod that is currently in alpha but havent been doing it for a while cuz i cant find a tree editor that i have full control over making realistic trees and i dont feel like building 8 different tree structures per tree type because i am very bad at building things. Can someone help?
eh

PolySaken
GitHub: PolySaken-I-Am
In-game: PolySaken

Re: Help With Custom Trees?

by PolySaken » Post

L-system trees might be what you want, although they are deterministic. (edit: they aren't deterministic, but the ruleset for procedural trees is pretty limited.) I've experimented with tree 'modules', where trees are randomly constructed with the L-system, although they're pretty underwhelming.

The only other thing I can think of is using vmanip to build trees from a lua script, which would give you more control but would likely be less performant.

IMO, building variants for each tree and making them into schematics is the best way.
Guidebook Lib, for in-game docs | Poly Decor, some cool blocks | Vision Lib, an all-purpose library.

sirrobzeroone
GitHub: sirrobzeroone

by sirrobzeroone » Post

Just to add you also can get a surprising variety using just schematics, 4 random rotations, some nodes can be randomised on placement ie left out. randomized y slices which can give you multiple heights of trees. I found just doing those 3 gave me enough variety from a single schematic that when walking over terrain they dont look the same.

When I wanted high variety doing two schematics with the above increased variability even more. If your not into tree building have a look at cool trees or mt tree schematics and just change the trunk/leaf names as a starter.

Recommend Wuzzys schematic exporter if you do end up building trees

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

The following is the end result of a multi year obsession of mine. 160 trees, with lua table schematics. The copy currently on github is not updated yet, but includes all the tree definitions, nodes and schematics. While my own project isn't necessarily MTG friendly, it can be, and I'm working on it. Over the next few days, I intend to also get all the plants properly distributed.

What you see is a combination of several mods working in tandem with a very customized game project. Much of it is mapgen related, and I am actively working to make all this available as a usable "game" independent modpack.

Feel free to scavenge the github for GAL for the code, media, and schematics. Licenses should be included, but I can attest that very little of the media is original from me, and so you must respect the licenses of the original authors, even where I've failed to properly attribute them in the posted github project.

Custom earth like mapgen, scaled at 1:10, viewed from origin, looking northeast. Equivalent to 0deg longitude at the equator.

Same map, viewed from x=1100,z=1600, somewhere along the boundary between "european" and "asian" continents.

As sirrobzeroone stated, schematics are the most useful, and can be rotated for variety. My only addition to the advice is to add content. GAL is my own consolidation of content.

Shad
Attachments
screenshot_20210711_213509.jpg
screenshot_20210711_213509.jpg (398.15 KiB) Viewed 300 times
screenshot_20210711_213229.jpg
screenshot_20210711_213229.jpg (454.03 KiB) Viewed 300 times