Mod Idea: Durability alert

AmyMoriyama
GitHub: AmyMoriyama

Mod Idea: Durability alert

by AmyMoriyama » Post

So, I just broke another hoe due to not paying attention and it got me to thinking, it would be neat if there was a mod that would sound an audio alert on use if the durability of a tool is below some amount.

Mineminer

Re: Mod Idea: Durability alert

by Mineminer » Post

AmyMoriyama wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 01:06
So, I just broke another hoe due to not paying attention and it got me to thinking, it would be neat if there was a mod that would sound an audio alert on use if the durability of a tool is below some amount.
Sure would be indeed! This would even be as accessibly improvement of servers who choose to use it as well.

Being deaf and blind I sure would love to see a mod such as this for myself and my server to become more accessibly minded and of course allowing people to more able to enjoy themselves in general. :)

wsor4035
GitHub: wsor4035
IRC: wsor
In-game: wsor

by wsor4035 » Post

this already exists on the pandora's box server, cant be bothered to find the mod that does it atm
j5uBLfc6NxgersvVj5D5dIsiKDkoQb0o

wsor4035
GitHub: wsor4035
IRC: wsor
In-game: wsor

by wsor4035 » Post

also, I am curious as to how a blind person plays minetest? I do know of a few deaf players that play minetest however
j5uBLfc6NxgersvVj5D5dIsiKDkoQb0o

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Using the toolranks mod does just that, it sounds an alert and shows a message before a compabitle tool is about to break: https://notabug.org/tenplus1/toolranks

Maverick2797
In-game: Maverick2797

by Maverick2797 » Post

As another option, there's also the Toolbuddy CSM.

I know that CSM's are a bit controversial, but not all public servers have the toolranks mod. This allows the user to have the same settings across multiple servers.
The number you have called is not available during a solar eclipse. This message will self destruct in ten seconds in protest... [BEEP]

Mineminer

by Mineminer » Post

wsor4035 wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 04:50
also, I am curious as to how a blind person plays minetest? I do know of a few deaf players that play minetest however
Ah I don't "just play" I am also doing the following as well despite being deaf and blind. :)
My Public Minetest Server
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26959
My Public Significant Improvements to the Minetest Server Egg for the Pterodactyl Panel
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=27033
Offering Full Service Minetest Hosting
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27040

Anyways as far as playing goes, luckily after attempting to reach out to the Minetest community about the font size of chat I now able to do the following...
  • Full screen the game
  • Up the GUI scaling (about 2.0 I believe?)
  • Up the HUD scaling (about 1.5 probably on that one?)
  • Up most fonts to 24 or so
  • Chat I am able to play with around 22 instead
Thus including rebooting the game I can have the game up and running in about 5 minutes after install on my Linux Mint system. :)

As for the remainder things like on the web, OS and so on I use Linux Mint's magnification set to 2.4x to that, the OS and Vivaldi dark themeing (as well as Dark Reader for that and to mess with it for the dan Pterodactyl theme which is hot garbage for accessibly without Dark Reader's Dark, Brightness and Contrasts helping you out) and finally Vivaldi Ui scaling set to 115% on top of the 2.4x from the OS.
TenPlus1 wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 05:42
Using the toolranks mod does just that, it sounds an alert and shows a message before a compabitle tool is about to break: https://notabug.org/tenplus1/toolranks
I THOUGHT I remembered such a thing but I couldn't put my finger on it. Thanks for reminding me of where such features existed. I will probably get on going with this then. :)

AmyMoriyama

by AmyMoriyama » Post

It seems then that there isn't an option to just alert using serverside mods. The toolranks mod has it but what if the server owner doesn't want to have tools that get more OP over time? The CSM mod doesn't really work either if the player isn't aware of it. Maybe the part in toolranks that alerts can be separated into its own mod?

Maverick2797
In-game: Maverick2797

by Maverick2797 » Post

AmyMoriyama wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 15:02
The CSM mod doesn't really work either if the player isn't aware of it.
A sound is played and a message is displayed locally in chat each time you use the tool once your wear/durability gets below the set level (default is 90%, plenty of notice for most tools greater than wooden.)
Level can be set using .toolbuddy level <level%>
Not sure how much more notice you'd need than that.

Also note that it's a client-side mod rather than a server-side mod
The number you have called is not available during a solar eclipse. This message will self destruct in ten seconds in protest... [BEEP]

AmyMoriyama

by AmyMoriyama » Post

Maverick2797 wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 15:16
AmyMoriyama wrote:
The CSM mod doesn't really work either if the player isn't aware of it.
A sound is played and a message is displayed locally in chat each time you use the tool once your wear/durability gets below the set level (default is 90%, plenty of notice for most tools greater than wooden.)
Level can be set using .toolbuddy level <level%>
Not sure how much more notice you'd need than that.

Also note that it's a client-side mod rather than a server-side mod
That is my point. Being a client-side mod means the player needs to be aware that the mod exists since it doesn't come from the server. There should be a regular mod that can offer tool durability alerts.

ThorfinnS
GitHub: ThorfinnS

by ThorfinnS » Post

AmyMoriyama wrote:
It seems then that there isn't an option to just alert using serverside mods. The toolranks mod has it but what if the server owner doesn't want to have tools that get more OP over time? ... Maybe the part in toolranks that alerts can be separated into its own mod?
Or just set toolranks_use_multiplier to 1.0?

[EDIT]
Or glancing through, looks like there are several possibilities. Setting toolranks_level_digs to MAXINT would probably work, though you might want to be a little careful about rollover, which I didn't check for. Or set toolranks_levels to 1, so it caps at the default item. That's probably the best way.
[/EDIT]