Player Model Scale?

runs

Player Model Scale?

by runs » Post

The Player model I think is scaled x10 respect to a node (1x1x1).

Why?!

How is the player scale respect a node? Width, height?

I need help!

runs

Re: Player Model Scale?

by runs » Post

Juanchi-investigation

The height of the player is not 1.5 height of the node (relative scale)... It is a little bit more.

Attachments
scale.png
scale.png (56.81 KiB) Viewed 1866 times

runs

by runs » Post

Juanchi-Research:

In my new KIDZ game, the model will be more childish.

Attachments
KIDZ.png
KIDZ.png (137.92 KiB) Viewed 1862 times

MisterE
GitHub: MisterE123
IRC: MisterE
In-game: MisterE

by MisterE » Post

maybe consider a non-humaniod character? since youre making a new model anyways

runs

by runs » Post

MisterE wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 20:31
maybe consider a non-humaniod character? since youre making a new model anyways
No for the time being, I want Sam as a child. Sammy.

I finally managed to finish it. With all the animations and everything.

Other interchangeable characters in the future yes, fantasy, maybe Sammy with wings and little Samantha as a pink unicorn centaur.

It opens up a world of endless possibilities.

Attachments
juanchi_kidz.png
juanchi_kidz.png (99.74 KiB) Viewed 1832 times

DELTA_FORCE
IRC: DELTA_FORCE
In-game: DELTA_FORCE

by DELTA_FORCE » Post

shaggy.png
shaggy.png (83.3 KiB) Viewed 1822 times
check me out nowhere because i never do anything

runs

by runs » Post

DELTA_FORCE wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 22:50
shaggy.png
Kids are big-headed.

MisterE

by MisterE » Post

this looks really good so far! If you want to id be interested in reading a rundown on the planned game features! (maybe in its own thread?)

MisterE

by MisterE » Post

also consider forking https://content.minetest.net/packages/d ... cessories/

to add cool clothes and other stuffz, but probably make your own models for it. Maybe just redesign the mod from scratch, but use a similar idea

DELTA_FORCE
IRC: DELTA_FORCE
In-game: DELTA_FORCE

by DELTA_FORCE » Post

shaggy.png
shaggy.png (78.45 KiB) Viewed 1812 times
he has his mother's eyes
check me out nowhere because i never do anything

Tim790
GitHub: Tim79000
In-game: Tim7

by Tim790 » Post

runs wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:43
Juanchi-Research:

Kids don't care if there player model is childish, they actually prefer having a normal player model since children like to pretend to be adults.
Yeet.

runs

by runs » Post

Tim790 wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 01:07
runs wrote:
Juanchi-Research:

Kids don't care if there player model is childish, they actually prefer having a normal player model since children like to pretend to be adults.
No. Kids like cool stuff. They have been forgotten by minetets for a long time. I'm going to fix it.

LCDev

by LCDev » Post

runs wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:02
Tim790 wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 01:07
runs wrote:
Juanchi-Research:

No. Kids like cool stuff. They have been forgotten by minetets for a long time. I'm going to fix it.
Nice and good job! I've also been thinking about trying to create Minetest characters for kids, but now I don't have to do it, since you are already working on it :) Is your mod available to try / test yet?

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

Back to the original question in the thread. I think the problem is when you use Blender and the B3D exporter, that's what introduces the 10x (or 0.1x) scaling problem. When registering entities, instead of doing your modelling then exporting with the 'correct' size in blender, you can set the model scale inside the definition with visual_size e.g. visual_size = vector.new(1,1,1). However, I'm not sure if you can do this with player models as I've never registered those.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

LCDev

by LCDev » Post

I am also confused about how scale is handled by Minetest. Looking at the character.blend file from the default minetest_game player_api mod, I see that it shows scale (on X, Y and Z) of 1.0 and dimensions of X 6.3, Y 0.0, Z 16.8. Which suggests that the player model is then 16.8m high? But I thought a standard block (node) in Minetest is 1m cubed? The player is nearly 2 blocks high in the world, which means slightly less than 2m... definitely not nearly 17m high!? Or is that where the 10x scale issue comes in, that was mentioned in this topic? So, if the model in Blender is 16.8m tall, it is 1.68m (just more than 1.5x one block/node) tall inside of Minetest?

I'm very new to using Blender, so I am trying to understand how these things work and how to properly create models for use in Minetest.

Also, how would a skin need to be adapted to fit a player (character) model with "non-standard" dimensions? What ARE the "standard" player model dimensions, on which the 100s of available player skins (e.g. on skinsdb) fit "properly"? Is it based on the player_api model mentioned above? What would happen if I changed the head dimensions slightly and added a neck to the player model? What would I need to do in terms of skins, to fit the new model? Also, can skins be "layered" one on top of another, as with other textures (on nodes/blocks/items)? E.g. to add a temporary (removable) tie around the neck, or a removable belt around the waist... (or in case of a child character, perhaps an inflatable swim ring around the waist)?

Nathan.S
GitHub: NathanSalapat
IRC: NathanS21
In-game: NathanS21

by Nathan.S » Post

The player model is an entity, and as such it will be drawn ten times larger than the model registered as a node. I have no idea why, it's just the way it is.
The player model is drawn at 1.68m tall in minetest, assuming you're using player_api of course.
If you take a look at 3d_armor you'll see how Stu handled layering textures, entities let you change textures dynamically so it's possibly to layer articles of clothing. I also do something similar in my Traitor game. If you change the player model you could try and make the new faces of the mesh overlap existing portions of the texture so as to keep them compatible with existing skins, but that probably won't look great, and you'll be best off either using the standard model or creating all your own new skins.
I record Minetest videos, Mod reviews, Modding tutorials, and Lets plays.
Check out my website, and brand new Minetest Modding Course

LCDev

by LCDev » Post

Thanks Nathan! I'm looking at the 3d_armor mod and your Traitor clothing mod - very interesting. Hopefully I can also "get it right" in what I'm trying to do :) BTW I really enjoy watching your Minetest videos and learning from you. Thanks for your contributions to making Minetest more enjoyable to players and easier to mod for those of us who like to "get our hands dirty" with such things.