Another doubt abaut licences

JALdMIC
In-game: None

Another doubt abaut licences

by JALdMIC » Post

I want to know if is possible some of this options:
1Use different licenses for different objects in the same mod.
2Use a free license for objects based in free and proprietary licenses.

I made a mod whit objects based in free and proprietary licenses and published them under a non commercial license for avoid problems because i see some cases in what the Enterprises have eliminate products created for fans,for example Nintendo(some YouTube videos) and Rockstar(eliminate some mods during GTA Trilogy ,EurogamerSpain you tube Que esta pasando con GTA Trylogy),like i read who always the things don't be published for commercial purpose there's no problem i use a license who don't allow the commercial use,but some
comments made me thing who this is a error, because of that i want to know a form for change the license of the mod for some free license but without eliminate the objects based in proprietary works

The mod who i talk is assets warehouse

[tspoiler = Espanol]
He hecho un mod tanto con objetos basados en obras libres como en propietarias y lo he publicado
bajo una licencia no comercial con tal de evitar problemas ya que he visto algunos casos en que
las companias han mandado a eliminar productos creados por fans,por ejemplo Nintendo(varios
videos en Youtube) y Rockstar(elimino algunos mods durante lo de GTA trylogy,Eurogamerspain
youtube Que esta pasando con GTA Trylogy),como he leido que mientras las cosas no se publiquen de forma
comercial no debe haber problema he usado una licencia que aclara que los objetos no son para
uso comercial,pero hace no mucho algunos comentarios me han hecho pensar que tal vez usar una licencia
de este tipo es un error,por eso quiero saber de alguna manera para cambiar la licencia del mod
a una libre sin que haya necesidad de eliminar los objetos basados en obras propietarias

El mod del que hablo es mi Assets Warehouse
[/tspoiler]

Desour
GitHub: Desour
IRC: Desour
In-game: DS
Location: I'm scared that if this is too exact, I will be unable to use my keyboard.

Re: Another doubt abaut licences

by Desour » Post

JALdMIC wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:28
Of course. Why not?
JALdMIC wrote:
To publish an object or a derivation of it under a different license, you have to check whether the original license's conditions allow this. I.e. CC-BY SA doesn't even allow re-licensing under a stricter license.
Or you could try to contact the object's authors and ask for permission (easy if you are the only author).

Note: IANAL.
he/him; Codeberg; GitHub; ContentDB; public personal TODO list; "DS" is preferred (but often too short)

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

Re: Another doubt abaut licences

by Blockhead » Post

JALdMIC wrote:
I want to know if is possible some of this options:
Yes this is possible. In this case, each object is received under its own licence, and it can only be re-used under that licence. You could have free and non-free licensed objects in the same mod. The free objects would be redistributable as per their licence, but the non-free objects would not.
JALdMIC wrote:
A licence is granted by a copyright holder. If you made the object, you are the copyright holder, unless you sold your copyright. If you are the copyright holder, you may relicense your objects however you want, and release them in different places. For instance you could make a 3D model and texture combination and license them under CC BY-SA 4.0 in a Minetest mod; you could then use that same 3D model and texture in a Minecraft Mod and license them under CC BY-NC for that mod. People could still find out you licensed it with a different license in the Minetest Mod and they could copy it to a Minecraft mod that uses the CC BY-SA Licence; but maybe they won't find out.

If you are not the copyright holder, you must respect the original object's license. However, this is where the "ShareAlike" licenses get involved. Those are copyleft license. If you, the copyright holder, do not use a ShareAlike license, you are giving permission for others to take your free asset and redistribute it with a nonfree licence. The person who re-released it under a non-ShareAlike license only has to give you credit as the original author.

If you are creating objects from scratch for a proprietary game, there is nothing stopping you from releasing those objects under a free license. If however you take an object from that game and edit it, you will have to face the part of copyright law that covers derivative works. If the edit is small, it's basically the original object, and is subject to the original license. If the edit makes the object completely different, it is considered a derivative work and you will be the original author and copyright holder.

Let's look at some theoretical scenarios.
  1. You take a texture from Minetest Game, edit it a little bit, and add it to your own mod for Minetest. It's still under the licence it came with in Minetest Game, probably CC BY-SA 3.0.
  2. You make your own texture for a car model in GTA San Andreas. You drew the texture from scratch. You are the copyright holder for that texture; you can license it how you like.
  3. You bootleg remix a song from GTA IV's soundtrack by adding some effects and repeating some sections. You release it on YouTube. You have committed a copyright violation because the soundtrack is copyrighted by Rockstar Games. The song is not a derivative work because it's still recognisably the same song.
  4. You sample a short dialogue line from The Elder Scrolls V: Oblivion without permission. You apply vocal effects and use the sample it in a song that you composed and recorded. You have still committed copyright violation because you used that sample without permission, even though the song is your own original work. If you had recorded your own version of the vocals that imitates the original, you would not be committing copyright violation.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂