Mod Organization

DeathFrostshadow

Mod Organization

by DeathFrostshadow » Post

Hello, I'm new to Minetest ^ I've been exploring alot of mods and was wondering if theirs a way or a mod to organize them since I have a lot of them and along with making sure they work I'm also testing them with other mods to see if they're compatible or not. Kinda like a way to categorize them if that makes sense

If not is there a way to get a description since it doesn't display what the mod is in the select mods window

I hope this gives enough clarification of what I'm looking for, any help would be appreciateded, thx :)

loosewheel
GitHub: loosewheel
In-game: loosewheel

Re: Mod Organization

by loosewheel » Post

I don’t think there is a way to do that through the interface. You could make modpacks to group mods together. This isn’t hard to do but you would have to do it yourself. It is basically just putting all the mods for the pack in a folder with some extra information about the modpack. This displays as a branched entry in the select mods list and the contents tab. There are details here about modpacks. If you assemble the mods into a modpack I don’t think ContentDB will recognise these mods to update them. You would probably have to manually update them.

As for the description, this is provided by the mod. It doesn't display in the selected mods list but in the contents tab. Older mods may have a file called description.txt containing this information. This is now depreciated and a file called mod.conf with the line
description=What this mod does
holds this information. If nothing is showing in the contents tab these are probably missing. You can add this yourself, but if you update the mod it will be overwritten.

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

Re: Mod Organization

by Blockhead » Post

The short answer is: not really, you have to invent your own tools.

Modpacks have their own problems like #3363. Personally I just keep different sets of mods as directories in my .minetest and change the target of a symbolic link to point to whatever set I want to load at the time. I call this "modsets"

You can also combine or replace the "modsets" approach with RUN_IN_PLACE mode (like how the Windows versions work) so that your engine version and the place you open Minetest from is tied to the mods you want to use that time. That approach would avoid the problem of needing to remember which symlink to enable to use each world.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂