Minetest Game support group thread.

FreeLikeGNU
GitHub: FreeLikeGNU
IRC: freelikegnu
In-game: FreeLikeGNU

Minetest Game support group thread.

by FreeLikeGNU » Post

I started modding MT some years ago under the assumption that modding MTG was the right thing to do. It had most of what I needed, and there were mods and APIs (like mobs redo) that would provide what was lacking. Now that MTG is being deprecated, I feel that I have to target a number of other games which will severely cut into the time I spend on my mods functionality. Many of these games have unfamiliar structures and have in place some things my mods would already provide. It's kinda frustrating because as a modding target, MTG was reasonably stable and there were many other mods available for it. I get the reasons behind decoupling MTG and I'm glad there are folks making new games, but it really seems to have raised the difficulty and work load for beginning or casual modding for me, at least to not have an official target with community support. Just venting. If you have similar feelings, feel free to reply. If you hate MTG or want to reiterate all the reasons why MTG should be abandoned please start or continue another topic. This one is for MTG support please and thank you.

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

Re: Minetest Game support group thread.

by Blockhead » Post

From my understanding MTG is/was never going to go away, just become the 'modding game' instead of the default game. It being in a feature freeze actually makes it better as a mod base. The idea behind demoting MTG, as I understood it, was to ship a more featureful, guided experience default game that doesn't need to retain backward compatibility. Little has emerged that could really fit the bill to replace MTG though. In terms of features, Mineclone* puts MTG to shame, but it could not replace MTG of course - too much similarity to [popular block game], too opinionated. But even if such a 'default game' did materialise, why not ship both? For fear of confusion? I reckon not, customisation is key to Minetest 'the Engine'. So here's to many more years of MTG to come.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

FreeLikeGNU
GitHub: FreeLikeGNU
IRC: freelikegnu
In-game: FreeLikeGNU

Re: Minetest Game support group thread.

by FreeLikeGNU » Post

I like your point of view! I agree that its frozen state could be a boon. Mods could also provide updates to MTG as MT evolves.