Limit Mob to a map range

minetestDad
GitHub: devBurgSto

Limit Mob to a map range

by minetestDad » Post

I've been doing a little bit of development and now have a question. Is there a way to limit the range of a mob from its spawn point and where it will spawn? For instance, I want to be able to have a mob put in a certain place in a world. I don't want it to leave this area and I don't want it to just generate all over the map.

The purpose is to help create quests and stories. Creating a world where certain swords, armor or whatever is only available after you complete a quest which is a type of story is my goal.

Thank you!

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

Re: Limit Mob to a map range

by Blockhead » Post

I think a little bit of clarification is in order. Do you want a specific mob to stay in a specific place, like say, an NPC questgiver has to be spawned by the game in their village when needed, and must never leave the village? Or maybe you wanted to designate specific spots where some mobs will spawn, like wolves can only be found in the dangerous woods outside of town and not in the mountains or desert?
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

SystemError
In-game: Havoc

by SystemError » Post

PUSH

I think this question still deserves an answer! :)

So if you want a mob to stay in place you can simply make it peaceful and put walk_chance to 0.

If you'd like to have it spawning in specific biomes you can use the spawn_on function or maybe also look for nodes near,

but I think that wasn't the question and you are looking for a way to limit the spawning and movement of a mob to a specific area ...
I don't know how to do this aswell, sorry :(
Does anyone know how?
Are you threatening me !?

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

perhaps adding a despawn_on function is worth requesting or doing for someone who is interested and has the time.
i.e. a mob you wish to only exist in the snow biome will despawn/die once it steps outside of dirt with snow range or outside of the biome itself.
I think an option for both methods would be nice to have
A Wonderful World

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

You could add a special spawn node and use the stay_near setting so that the mob will always stay around that node.

https://notabug.org/TenPlus1/mobs_redo/ ... pi.txt#L64

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

minetestDad wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 00:00
I don't want it to leave this area and I don't want it to just generate all over the map.
Basically they can only spawn at active areas = around the player, depend on settings in minetest.conf about activation-radius

or, depend on mods
* like around a active technic:switching station
* forceload blocks
... if there are the needed other parameter available
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

@Festus1965 - That is true if 'remove_far_mobs' is enabled, any mob that isn't tamed will despawn as soon as the player leaves a loaded map area.