New to programming. Are there any tutorials on how to import and edit the Minetest source code in an IDE?

kirbz

New to programming. Are there any tutorials on how to import and edit the Minetest source code in an IDE?

by kirbz » Post

A few days ago I downloaded the Minetest source code from github, then I added the Minetest source files into my new project and tried building the project, and was greeted with a number of errors. I would say one error every dozen lines or so.
The first error in the console was for main.cpp is "unable to find ban.h" even though the header file is in the project. The same thing also happened with several other header files, but what is weird is only roughly 5% of them said they couldn't be found or be loaded.
Do I need both a C and C++ environment?
Are there any walkthroughs on YouTube?

Thanks.

Desour
GitHub: Desour
IRC: Desour
In-game: DS
Location: I'm scared that if this is too exact, I will be unable to use my keyboard.

Re: New to programming. Are there any tutorials on how to import and edit the Minetest source code in an IDE?

by Desour » Post

Build instructions are in the readme.

I would really not recommend to start developing the C++ side of the minetest engine if you're new to programming. Minetest won't give you an introduction to C++. And C++ is designed to shoot everyone who isn't very familiar with it into both feet at once.
You probably rather want to do some modding in lua, see <https://github.com/minetest/minetest/bl ... ua_api.txt>.
he/him; Codeberg; GitHub; ContentDB; public personal TODO list; "DS" is preferred (but often too short)

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

Re: New to programming. Are there any tutorials on how to import and edit the Minetest source code in an IDE?

by Blockhead » Post

As DS said, if you are new to programming you will probably want to get started with Lua modding. However, so that this thread is not completely wasted, could any core developers share how they edit the Minetest source code on their own systems? I know it's possible to use Visual Studio on Windows, but have never tried a C++ IDE for Linux or macOS personally. On Windows, CMake will produce a Visual Studio solution file that will allow you to easily work on the engine and built it from source.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

Seconding the suggestion to go with modding the game rather than the engine. If you're really new to programming, you should start at the shallow end of the pool, don't dive right in at the deep end.
For modding, Zerobrane Studio is a free and open source IDE for Lua, there are also Minetest bindings for it here on the forums somewhere, though they're kind of dated, being for the 0.4.16 API.
Lead dev of Exile, git repo: https://codeberg.org/Mantar/Exile

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

While we're on the topic of Lua editing, a lot of people would probably like Minetest Tools Visual Studio Code Extension .
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂