Any resource preservation mod?

Peril

Any resource preservation mod?

by Peril » Post

Edit: Learned from another thread about the existence of "bones_mode" I've never seen bones in a minetest game before so hadn't known of its existence. Will go try and find out why it isn't working.

Currently, the standard behavior of minetest (Survival) (or at least the variants I've been using) is that...

1. You mine iron.
2. You die.
3. Iron vanishes.

Now if I recall, minetest has a limited amount of iron, so with a large server iron or other none-regenerating resources can quickly be depleted requiring a server restart or cheats to put the resources back in.

I'm guessing there are a few ways of tackling this problem but I'm not sure what the mod might be called that implements it. (I'm sure one has been created already).

So question: Please could someone point me in the right direction of resource preserving mods.

Edit: Basically it looks like "bones_mode = bones" Isn't working... I'll have to figure out why.
Forgot my old username/email, it's been a number of years please bear with.
Stats: OS: Manjaro Linux; Using minetest-git via AUR

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

Re: Any resource preservation mod?

by Festus1965 » Post

I am first not sure what you mean with 'Currently, the standard behavior of minetest (Survival)' means, as
* minetest ist the engine
* or the mtg game often is the base,
but!
there are settings inside mtg this that control it already before ... any other mod takes over

see .../minetest_game/settingtypes.txt (default setting)

Code: Select all

#    Sets the behaviour of the inventory items when a player dies.
#    bones: Store items in a bone node but drop items if inside protected area.
#    drop: Drop items on the ground.
#    keep: Player keeps items.
bones_mode (Bones mode) enum bones bones,drop,keep
and that works fine at my server (= find bonde nodes with items in it), as I also use no other mod that might override it
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

Skamiz Kazzarch
GitHub: Skamiz
In-game: Skamiz

Re: Any resource preservation mod?

by Skamiz Kazzarch » Post

For reference, the 'bones' look like this:
screenshot_20230129_091822.png
screenshot_20230129_091822.png (190 KiB) Viewed 314 times
The mod for it is included in default MTG and thus in most of it's derivative games. The node itself is placed when a player dies, has items in their inventory, isn't in an protected area, and doesn't have creative. Punching this will give you all the items the player had on death.

Maybe you just happened to only play games which don't include it? Otherwise I have no clue why it wouldn't work.
You can also try to add the mod explicitly to a game by using this version: https://content.minetest.net/packages/rheo/bones/

As for iron scarcity. TLDR: Don't worry about it.
Minetest worlds are huge, unless you are running an extremely long lived server with mods which make mining ores in bulk possible you aren't going to run out. At most you run out of ore easily accessible from the spawn point.