Help resolving an incompatibility issue

dougsouza26
GitHub: JoseDouglas26
IRC: dougsouza26
In-game: dougsouza26

Help resolving an incompatibility issue

by dougsouza26 » Post

I need help resolving the incompatibility issue between the concrete mod and the Technic mod. How do I return a message to the user? Is there any function or setting in the mod.conf file to alert about the incompatibility?
cdb_eb3b905044b7

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

Re: Help resolving an incompatibility issue

by Blockhead » Post

First, I would also mention the incompatibility in forum OP, README, ContentDB release etc. so people should be aware before installing.

After that there are a few approaches, all of them involve checking for technic first (minetest.get_modpath("technic") ~= nil)
  1. Check for the presence of technic and deliberately fail an assertion. The user should get and read the message from the assertion that an incompatible mod is installed and can then take steps to rectify it.
  2. Check for the presence of technic and if it is present, run your mod code differently to be compatible, such as overriding technic concrete or adding only the coloured variants on top of it.
  3. Check for the presence of technic and if it is present do nothing, but write a warning messsage with minetest.log and hope people see it in chat.
In general you can't warn the very-inattentive users, but you can warn the ones who are paying good attention most of the time.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂