Post your modding questions here

4aiman

Re: Post your modding questions here

by 4aiman » Post

You can use minetest.get_connected_players() also

leeminer

by leeminer » Post

Getting a player object has failed me so far. Even with suggestions. I resorted to modifying the main config file and adjusting gravity jump etc there.

However I was wondering if there is a way to debug a script. Does anyone know how? I need more useful errors than the standard can't load the lua file.

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

leeminer, see viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7224 for manual change of physics by chat command, or viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6329 for automatic change of physics depending on location.

prestidigitator

by prestidigitator » Post

leeminer wrote:Getting a player object has failed me so far. Even with suggestions. I resorted to modifying the main config file and adjusting gravity jump etc there.

However I was wondering if there is a way to debug a script. Does anyone know how? I need more useful errors than the standard can't load the lua file.
There is no built-in debugging mechanism. You can use the print() function to send information to Minetest's standard output (or error—not sure which), which is generally visible when you start Minetest from a command line. The minetest.debug() and minetest.log() functions do similar things. I also created a LuaCmd mod which allows you to run snippets of Lua code from Minetest's chat console and is intended to help with some debugging tasks (such as calling global functions and examining global variables). If you use that mod, give this command a try:

Code: Select all

/lua me:set_physics_override({ gravity=3, jump=3, speed=3 })
That works because the LuaCmd mod does the player lookup for you and provides the special variable "me" that refers to the player object of the player currently issuing the command.

EDIT: Oh, by the way, setting both gravity and jump to 3 might be a bit cross-purpose, as one allows you a stronger initial jump, while the other causes gravity to pull stronger. You might try one or the other, or setting gravity to a fractional value (e.g. 0.333). By increasing both you may have little or no impact on the player's jump height, though falling off a cliff could be different.

davidthecreator
GitHub: daviddoesminetest
In-game: DavidDoesMinetest

how to put mods online

by davidthecreator » Post

hi im new at this but im kinda trying to make mods and finaly im succeeded so i would like to know how to make them downloadable to others

Chinchow

by Chinchow » Post

I am very new to entities, and I would like to know this: How are setacceleration, setvelocity, etc used? I've tried to call them, but I can't figure out how.

Topywo

Re: how to put mods online

by Topywo » Post

davidthecreator wrote:hi im new at this but im kinda trying to make mods and finaly im succeeded so i would like to know how to make them downloadable to others
You could search for an upload site that let's you upload mods and screenshots. Look at the links in mod releases to get an overview of the most common.

I use dropbox, it suites me best at this moment. GitHub is also a possibility, but that may take more time to get accustomed to. Or Bitbucket.

LionsDen

by LionsDen » Post

davidthecreator you can always use the forum attachment function if you mod isn't huge. If you look below where you type a reply or a topic, there is an options tab and an upload attachment tab. Just click the upload attachment tab and then browse to the file you want to upload. Once selected, just click the add the file button and your file will be uploaded to the forum, you can even give it a comment if you want to.

fireuser

by fireuser » Post

I love with the idea of mobs, so I am trying to make some. I made models in blender, but I don't know how to use them in to the mod. I think you should use .x files ,but blender would not let me export the models as .x files.

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

fireuser wrote:I love with the idea of mobs, so I am trying to make some. I made models in blender, but I don't know how to use them in to the mod. I think you should use .x files ,but blender would not let me export the models as .x files.
Export them as .b3d instead. I made a tutorial here: viewtopic.php?p=151207#p151207

drkwv
GitHub: aa6

by drkwv » Post

I tried to create a first-person-shooter weapon mod https://github.com/yetanotherusernamebe ... omsdayarms using a code of cannons mod, but ran into an issue with the entities: I can shoot through walls when facing it close enough. The reason for this is the initial velocity: bullet spawns inside of a wall, gets velocity and thus not collide with it. When I set velocity to 0, bullet collides successfully. Is there an easy way to workaround this problem? Or maybe I should not use entities for bullets at all?

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

drkwv wrote:I tried to create a first-person-shooter weapon mod https://github.com/yetanotherusernamebe ... omsdayarms using a code of cannons mod, but ran into an issue with the entities: I can shoot through walls when facing it close enough. The reason for this is the initial velocity: bullet spawns inside of a wall, gets velocity and thus not collide with it. When I set velocity to 0, bullet collides successfully. Is there an easy way to workaround this problem? Or maybe I should not use entities for bullets at all?
If you want the bullets to be visual, nothing else would really work (even entities are a bit iffy for something moving that fast). Most gun mods I have seen don't use visuals for the bullet, and just use math for figuring that out.

drkwv
GitHub: aa6

by drkwv » Post

Evergreen wrote:Most gun mods I have seen don't use visuals for the bullet, and just use math for figuring that out.
Honestly, I'd like to have some visuals. Like the old Ace of Spades had.

stu
GitHub: stujones11

by stu » Post

Quick one, is it safe to use alpha channel for HUD images?
(by that I am referring to partial transparency)

HeroOfTheWinds
GitHub: HeroOfTheWinds
IRC: WindHero

by HeroOfTheWinds » Post

stu wrote:Quick one, is it safe to use alpha channel for HUD images?
(by that I am referring to partial transparency)
Yup! :) Just take a look at Big Freaking Dig, the tool hotbar uses a semi-transparent overlay for the selected tool, if I remember correctly.
Nam ex spatio, omnes res venire possunt.
Why let the ground limit you when you can reach for the sky?
Back to college now, yay for sophomore year schedules. :P

ultimatemuffin

by ultimatemuffin » Post

Hi, I'm new to minetest, and I'm trying to write my first mod. Basically, it's a trade machine mod where the player who places it sets up what he wants to trade and what to trade for, and fills the machine's stock. When another player right clicks on it, they should see a different formspec that only shows what's being traded and a button to perform the trade.

My question is this: How do I make a node show two different formspecs to two different players when they right click on it?

prestidigitator

by prestidigitator » Post

ultimatemuffin wrote:Hi, I'm new to minetest, and I'm trying to write my first mod. Basically, it's a trade machine mod where the player who places it sets up what he wants to trade and what to trade for, and fills the machine's stock. When another player right clicks on it, they should see a different formspec that only shows what's being traded and a button to perform the trade.

My question is this: How do I make a node show two different formspecs to two different players when they right click on it?
Instead of using the node's metadata formspec like a chest does, you'll want to use a callback function (e.g. on_rightclick) to call minetest.show_formspec. That way you can vary the formspec each time a player interacts with the node.

ultimatemuffin

by ultimatemuffin » Post

prestidigitator wrote:
ultimatemuffin wrote:Hi, I'm new to minetest, and I'm trying to write my first mod. Basically, it's a trade machine mod where the player who places it sets up what he wants to trade and what to trade for, and fills the machine's stock. When another player right clicks on it, they should see a different formspec that only shows what's being traded and a button to perform the trade.

Instead of using the node's metadata formspec like a chest does, you'll want to use a callback function (e.g. on_rightclick) to call minetest.show_formspec. That way you can vary the formspec each time a player interacts with the node.
Oh, I see. so then from the callback, how do I refer to the node's inventory when I create the formspec?
when I was calling it from the node's formspec I could just use current_name, but that won't work in the callback and I can't find documentation for the syntax for it.

eg: "list[current_name;sale_memory;1,2;3,3;]"..
What can I replace current_name with?

Edit: After scouring the source, I figured it out. The "inventory_location" part of a list formspec needs to be formatted as one of 5 specific formats:
switch(type){
case InventoryLocation::UNDEFINED:
os<<"undefined";
break;
case InventoryLocation::CURRENT_PLAYER:
os<<"current_player";
break;
case InventoryLocation::PLAYER:
os<<"player:"<<name;
break;
case InventoryLocation::NODEMETA:
os<<"nodemeta:"<<p.X<<","<<p.Y<<","<<p.Z;
break;
case InventoryLocation::DETACHED:
os<<"detached:"<<name;
break;
default:
assert(0);
}

so I just needed to put nodemeta:"..pos["x"]..","..pos["y"]..","..pos["z"].." and then everything was happy.

I also recommend putting this info in the dev wiki under the formspec section, I may take a look at doing it a bit later.

Semmett9

drunk affect to player

by Semmett9 » Post

I was wondering if it is possible to invert a mouse or cover the players screen with an animated image.
After making a beer mod I wondered if you could invert the players mouse or do something which will affect the player if the drink too much.
If anyone know how to do this I will be more than happy.

Meany thanks

HANNAHBOO

by HANNAHBOO » Post

Ive tried downloading mods. Nothing is working for me. Heres my situation, I cant not afford anything for my brother for his birthday, and he loves minecraft. So I figured I will download minetest for him , at first he liked it but got easily bored due to nothing to do. I tried downloading mods for him but it just doesnt seem to work for me. I know I must be doing something wrong. I tried dowloading the PilzAdam mods and nothings working. SO can I please get step by step instructions. It would be greatly appreciated. :(

Minetestforfun
GitHub: MinetestForFun
IRC: MinetestForFun
In-game: MinetestForFun

by Minetestforfun » Post

Hi HANNAHBOO,
1) download the mod
2) dezip the mod
3) rename the mod like the author of the mod says to you in his topic
4) move your folder renamed to your minetest/mods folder
5) Launch the game, select your server, click "configure", active your mod(just check the box on the top right of the window configure), launch the world => it's over

(EDIT : @philipbenr thank you for correction, and more details for HANNAHBOO ;))
Last edited by Minetestforfun on Sat Aug 30, 2014 01:12, edited 3 times in total.

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

The post above is a pretty good explanation, except the word server should be replaced with singleplayer world. servers already come with pre-enabled mods.

Image for reference. Ex: castle mod.

@Minetestforfun: It shouldn't be called a server, it should be called a world. Online servers don't allow client side mods.

ultimatemuffin

by ultimatemuffin » Post

Hi, I am trying to make a soft-protection mod that will make protected nodes harder to dig for other players, but not indestructible. Is there any way to dynamically change the dig times for a particular node?

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

How would one make a gas rise in the air? I was thinking of something like making water with the gravity inversed or that flows upward but I do not think that is possible.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

Esteban
In-game: Esteban

by Esteban » Post

jojoa1997 wrote:How would one make a gas rise in the air? I was thinking of something like making water with the gravity inversed or that flows upward but I do not think that is possible.
I don't know if that is possible, have you checked moonrealm's air or fake fire's smoke? II think those are close to accomplish your idea.