sofar
Developer
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

Re: how to make mods?

by sofar » Post

Some alternative thoughts on the topic.

"Tools" are ways for "skills" to be more productive. Keep this in mind as you learn new tools (programs) to make mods.

Writing code in an editor is great, in an IDE is better. Whatever works for you - try them all.

But mods are not just code, they also need assets, like (1)texture, (2)sounds, and (3)models. In each of those 3 categories, there are really simple ways, and really complex ways to create assets.

Any paint program will do to create textures. Heck, you can paint on wood with oil paint and then take a picture. No entry on the list above is right for everyone. Try them all :)

Sounds are tricky. My list of tools is (1) freesounds.org and (2) audacity. Yes, that's a website. It has a bajillion sounds ready for legal use in MT. Can't beat reusable sounds like that. There are better sound editors than audacity but it complements my knowledge of audio technology well, and frankly it's interface is so flat that it works well for me, but others will probably hate it.

Models! My favorite tool is vim. I just create nodeboxes in my brain with a text editor. No graphics needed. Most of my .obj models were first conceived in tables coded in lua straight away. Only later do I optimize the model in blender. Of course, blender is great for "playing" but so is any other model editor/animation program.

Maybe now it's clear that making mods is a brain thing first. Try and attach good plugins to your brain that help your brain to create the things it is thinking about creating and don't hesitate to stop using that one tool that everyone likes if you don't feel like you're getting comfortable with it. Sometimes these tools are not really tools but ways to broaden your aptitude. Browse deviantart? Search for a specific topic in google images to get ideas for colors and shapes? play on color.adobe.com to get an idea for a color scheme? All "tools" that are really useful and yet you can't install them :)