Testing names for a new game. Please Vote.

Names for new game. Civilization, Colonization, AoE, 0AD inspired

Name 1: The Age of Tests
12%
Name 2: The Test of Empires
12%
Name 3: Stand the Test of Mines
No votes
Name 4: A Game of Tests
12%
Name 5: A Test of Thrones
No votes
Name 6: A Song of Mines and Tests
12%
Name 7: A Test of Fire and Ice
No votes
Name 8: Pharr Maana
53%

Total votes: 17

ShadMOrdre

Testing names for a new game. Please Vote.

by ShadMOrdre » Post

Testing names for a game. Would like input from anyone who gets the game names.

Ideally, this will include a tech tree for upgrading and mobs that act like AoE peons, with a dash of Civ/Col citizens.

Don't be shy.

Also, please include ideas, mod suggestions, and rule sets.

I'm hoping to make a Game object, Player object, and World object, to consolidate things into simpler mods. More on this later.

Shad MOrdre
Last edited by ShadMOrdre on Tue Dec 11, 2018 17:57, edited 1 time in total.

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

Re: Testing names for a new game. Please Vote.

by TumeniNodes » Post

I won't be shy... they're all horrible... seriously. Start from scratch again
and wipe the word 'test' completely from your mind... but that is not the only bad part of all these names but it is the most prominent.

call it something like Block of Ages (which is equally bad... nevermind)

Naming is tough.
A Wonderful World

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

ShadMOrdre wrote:Also, please include ideas
Avoid combinations of anything with "test", "block", "node", "mine" or "game". Those names are horrible. Also, on a personal note: I think using any of the games objects or features is always a bad idea because you're pinned down to it for later changes or releases.

Naming (and subsequently not renaming) the engine "Minetest" and the reference game "Minetest Game" was a huge mistake but can't be changed anymore because the name already got too common.

Find something that is "googleable" but unique. Best would be using a placeholder name and create your game and find a decent name afterwards. Usually it is easier to find a name for something that already exists.
ShadMOrdre wrote:mod suggestions, and rule sets.
Depends on what you want. Best would be not using "Minetest Game" as base (otherwise it would end up in being "Minetest Game With Mods") but it depends on your goal. If it's a single-player focused game think about the lore first (and stick to it!) and then code your mods and create your assets matching your lore.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Any name that has "test" in it, unless it's about unit testing software, is a terrible, crappy name
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:Best would be using a placeholder name and create your game and find a decent name afterwards. Usually it is easier to find a name for something that already exists.
haha, which is where Minetest came from :P
A Wonderful World

Pyrollo
Developer
GitHub: pyrollo
In-game: Naj

by Pyrollo » Post

TumeniNodes wrote:
Linuxdirk wrote:Best would be using a placeholder name and create your game and find a decent name afterwards. Usually it is easier to find a name for something that already exists.
haha, which is where Minetest came from :P
I propose "Placeholder" as game name. Sounds good, doesn't it ?
[ Display Modpack ] - [ Digiterms ] - [ Crater MG ] - [ LATE ]

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

So, yes, they are all bad. I couldn't resist though.

Currently, the game is called DEV. How original.......

That was certainly going to get votes.

For any of you who've played any of the referenced games, or read any of the referenced books, you can get an idea of the direction I'm taking.

Yes, for the most part, any game that is designed for Minetest is essentially a collection of mods. That is the only way to create anything in/for Minetest. IMHO, what is missing is a "ready to use" collection of mods for the purpose of game creation. A standard Game object that provides a World object, Customizable Rules sets, Player objects, and a common collection of the most practical objects for use by players.

Because most mods have been written for use with MTG, it is difficult to randomly assemble any mod collection into a coherent game, that does not then have MTG written all over it. This is NOT the fault of MTG or its devs. This is due to mod authors not writing modular code. IMHO, MTG is nothing more than a showcase of what is possible with the Minetest engine. And for that purpose, and to attract the obvious potential user,(MC players), to Minetest, MTG does fine, and should always continue to be included with the Mintest distribution.

What I have so far are "modpacks", that are broken into the above referenced "object" collections. My goal is to consolidate them into reusable, modular, drop-in, objects that will enable quicker creation of games. Some of this will be / is rather easily done. I already have mods that affect the game, server, and general rules set aside into a "modpack" to provide the Game object. The same is true for Player related mods. My current coding efforts are to finish the World "object" modpack, which includes node defs, biomes, ores, decorations, and villages.

The Rules object should be where most game devs spend their efforts, writing the code that generates a game, for the world, players, and objects that are available. At least, that's my rudimentary understanding of basic game development.

I'll stop ramblin' for now....

Skulls
In-game: Skulls

by Skulls » Post

Testorium
DevMine
Mine Place holder

I'll have some more bad ideas after I get some coffee.

So are you making a game or a game framework?

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

Take the engine... and build on it from scratch

The reason most (if not all) games are basically MTG with mods is... that is exactly what they are. Which makes them mostly the same

You can even strip MTG down to it's basics and build from there

The MTG with mods method is a quick "I want to throw a server up", solution
The other two options take much time and planning and actual work

Someone willing to put in the time and work, is not going to have a ready to play game in under a year, min
A Wonderful World

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

"Fast Imp"

Named after the obvious but important goal in AoE to reach the latest age to win against the opponent using more technologies to enhance your empire. It's not a requirement for your game for having those levels(/ages) but it would indicate the goal of the game.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

Take the engine... and build on it from scratch
Isn't this "recreating the wheel"?
You can even strip MTG down to it's basics and build from there
This is the route I'm taking. Starting with default. Much of default can be stripped out. Default, or the game object, should really only set the stage. World building should be done seperately, players should also, and things like tools and usable inworld objects.
Someone willing to put in the time and work, is not going to have a ready to play game in under a year, min
Naaahhhh, just need lots and lots coffeeeee. And......mehbe someone willing to break stuff, complain, criticize, place outrageous expectations upon the project.......... LOL You know, this guy.

And, if I'm lucky, some talented folks who can actually do the stuff I can't/won't/don't who are willing and able to make stuff, (code, graphics, music, sounds, headaches, cures for cancer.......)
So are you making a game or a game framework?
Any good game should at least have some framework. Since I'll have to do something here, might as well go fer broke....

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

ShadMOrdre wrote:Any good game should at least have some framework.
Have APIs for everything! :)

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

Have APIs for everything! :)
Of course, an API for setting a nodes tile def, an API for your pickaxe, and an API for getting more coffee when I'm too lazy to get up.

There are certainly places where APIs have a purpose. But a bed API is not really it. An API for a Game object should really only handle the big stuff, World Gen settings, Player settings, and Game Rules settings.

There can also certainly be APIs for the smaller stuff, like armor, clothing, in-world object mechanics and so forth. But many of these have already been created, they mehbe just need some tweakin to get them into shape, (ie, useable from within a game world, and readily available through a generic Game container. The game nor the game dev shouldn't really have to remember which mod a particular item came from, (3DArmor and AdvTrains both have addon mods, distributed by third parties, that provide items through each of the parent mods api) This can be simplified.....

Blunt

by Blunt » Post

Why not jus "civilization"? I believe the trade mark is for "Sid Meier's Civilization" and not the word "civilization".
Or "0 M.T."
Maybe "Year Zero"
I like "Pharr Maana" the best from your options because it seems to be its own name.

On another note, are you aware of "civcraft"? They have a pretty extensive wiki, which is great for stealing ideas.
I once had the same Idea as you, only I can not code to save my own life, this is how I found civcraft, their war rules seem pretty good.
Link: https://civilizationcraft.gamepedia.com ... Craft_Wiki

What kind of direction are you imagining when implementing civ/ AoE within minetest?
Is it first person multiplayer? Or more like overhead?

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

Hmm, how about YourTest? :-P
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

ShadMOrdre wrote:But a bed API is not really it.
So no-one is allowed to register custom beds in an easy way? Why not just have an API for that so mod authors can register custom beds without re-implementing the whole beds mechanic again.
ShadMOrdre wrote:But many [APIs] have already been created,
Then use them. If there is no API: create one (or check if there already is a mod creating one).

dark_knight
GitHub: karmakarmeghdip
In-game: dark_knight

by dark_knight » Post

I don't get it. Is your game going to be first person or overhead god like vision as in AoE where you control the npcs with telepathy. Speaking of npcs are you re-implementing your own npc mod or using existing mods like aliveai. I found the Avatars mod by sorcerykid to be interesting.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=21688&p=339336&hilit=avatars+mod#p339336

Red_King_Cyclops

by Red_King_Cyclops » Post

Will this game have fictional civilizations or real civilizations, and what will the goals of these civilizations be? The answers might influence my ideas for the title. For now, I suggest "ShadMOrdre's Civilization", "Rise of Mankind/Humans", or "Age Build".
Currently working on new mods.

MisterE
GitHub: MisterE123
IRC: MisterE
In-game: MisterE

by MisterE » Post

Suggestions:
-Frontier
-The Rise of the Arnoir
(^^^ The arnoir would be the name of the civ)
-Roots
-Legendor
-Fabric of Terra
-Silent Rising
-Divided We Fall
-Arch

Really, I need a description of a theme to come up with creative examples. Give me a thorough lore or world situation idea, and I may be able to do better.

MisterE
GitHub: MisterE123
IRC: MisterE
In-game: MisterE

by MisterE » Post

Ahhh! why are we reviving OLD topics that are obviously out of date, expired, and mouldy!?