[Idea] Exploration Game

voxelproof

[Idea] Exploration Game

by voxelproof » Post

Since the kind of games I really enjoy the most are those of the roguelike genre I have some very simple suggestion for the simplest probably possible game.

Many Minetest players find fun in searching for Nyan Cats (or how they're called now). I think that searching for the only one distinct artifact or block in a survival mode of play would make a very nice game with a well defined end goal (for those who like to have things completed like me :) ). This special item or ore block could be called an "amulet of Yendor" or whatever other name would be found appropriate (maybe sth original to the MT).

The generation of the artifact should follow two simple rules: firstly, the coordinates for it should be generated procedurally based on the seed so that every player could find it in the same place in the same world generated by this subgame. Secondly, to avoid never-findable deeply hidden underground (or underwater) lost treasures it should be placed on the highest hard and dry surface for given coordinates X and Z.

The game itself should disallow granting "fly" privilege even in a singleplayer mode and it would be useful if some other signs pointing to the proximity of a precious prize were also present (like, say, strangely looking wooden signs, bones of unfortunate past venturers or stone pillars). Also the occurence of hostile mobs should be made more frequent in the vicinity of the pursued artifact, making gaining it a hard and risky task.

I think it'd be really neat game that would add a little more thrill to the exploration when an objective like this was set.
To miss the joy is to miss all. Robert Louis Stevenson

AleksSyntek
GitHub: AleksSyntek
IRC: Aleks
In-game: Aleks

Re: [Idea] Exploration Game

by AleksSyntek » Post

Sounds good idea, doing a game with an objetive to get/found through exploration, dechipering some enigma, etc. can attract some kind of player that want it. That artifact can be too be assembled in a specific order, so to get some part you need to get prior two others, this will add some complexity and based on that random distribution, can extend the time of the resolution of the game (while trying not to turn it so hard to solve making the game objetive unachievable).
Also adding some "final boss" to combat against once the "artifact" is made can do make a great game ending.
Crash happens.

voxelproof

Re: [Idea] Exploration Game

by voxelproof » Post

AleksSyntek wrote:Sounds good idea, doing a game with an objetive to get/found through exploration, dechipering some enigma, etc. can attract some kind of player that want it. That artifact can be too be assembled in a specific order, so to get some part you need to get prior two others, this will add some complexity and based on that random distribution, can extend the time of the resolution of the game (while trying not to turn it so hard to solve making the game objetive unachievable).
Also adding some "final boss" to combat against once the "artifact" is made can do make a great game ending.
Yes. My point is that it's the simplest method of creating a game of high replayability value and often simple and not very thoughtful solutions appear to make a very engaging gameplay.

But well. it may be my personal bias cause the first video game I enjoyed was a Pong clone :)
To miss the joy is to miss all. Robert Louis Stevenson