Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

Re: Please make more games!

by Blockhead » Post

Exhale wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 17:35
Yeah something like this would be a big project, but I think something like this would help artistic minds like me churn out content without needing to bother you big brain boys in the programming world with anything other than the most exciting challenges.
I think you've totally missed the mark. There are plenty of good programmers who don't see it as stooping to a lower level to help out an artist with their project. Personally I like to have a healthy attitude to collaboration. Besides, programmers aren't always trying to build the next big thing, it's taxing and maybe even leads to disappointment. Also it's not like a programmer or an artist alone should decide what goes into a good mod - it's up to the programmer to say "this should work properly" and up to the artist to say "this should look good".

I'm not saying I'm opposed to better "low-code" / "no-code" tools for Minetest, I just think you're wrong if you think no programmer wants to collaborate on helping you with even simple stuff. Even if you exclude the 'big appetite' programmer stereotype people, there are plenty of programmer novices who will probably enjoy small projects.

That being said: Yes, programmer types, please do continue to make tools that make modding easier. But you'll also need input from artists to make the right tool. One person's perspective will never suffice!
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

Exhale
In-game: Exhale

by Exhale » Post

"I just think you're wrong if you think no programmer wants to collaborate on helping you with even simple stuff" Oh I dont think that at all... I just think that if the process is made painless enough that people with no coding ability can make hopefully semi complicated games and mods without coding knowledge, ideas can be more fleshed out and working to a degree, so something like that can be released in the WIP section and people can be more excited to jump onto the project including other artists and programmers. In the end of the day it is just a proposition... and I do appreciate the endorsement of tools to make modding easier... I admit I am a bit of a loner and dont really want to propose ideas just out of the blue because in the end of the day if I have a dream project I just want to dive straight into trying it out... I admit when it comes to minecraft mods on mcreator, i only ended up making 1, a simple hand gun mod in forge, and 1 datapack to add a recipe for chainmail armour which frankly mojang should have added ages ago (chains are in the game mojang, but instead you made the eye of sauron update X_X)... anyways thank you for your time... I will be slowly looking into the lua thing, pacing myself so hopefully my phobia doesnt make me run for the hills (plenty of lovely hills in mineclone 5 :D) so I really hope the system is as simple as you guys claim, one step at a time I guess...
Anyways have a lovely day guys.
And all my adoration goes out to you for making such a wonderful engine for people to enjoy completely, hopefully forever, long after all of us are dead.

Exhale

by Exhale » Post

"Also it's not like a programmer or an artist alone should decide what goes into a good mod" and this is where I think you might have missed the thing I am saying here... if everyone can contribute to the code of a project - even the artists - then projects can become more complete quicker - even if it isnt efficient code, and the programmers can come in afterwards and do their magic, a feature could be added by an artist at first, tested and understood and then the programmer can make it work better and tell the artist what else will be needed. It isnt about having 1 person teams making the projects, it is about empowering all members of the team to do things... for example programmers can - even without any design or artistic experience or knowledge - fire up gimp and make a temporary texture for a new node/block they need to a feature or fire up their laptop's mic and record a quick sound in audacity as a place-holder for the sound designer to add a more refined one later, but artists dont have the same capacity from our end.
I hope that makes the intent for asking for this clearer...
But also I dont think it is a terrible idea if people could make a dream project that they have difficulty communicating to other people on their own at least at first. Some people arent all that good at sales, I am not, I am just a graphic designer and musician, I cannot sell - and despite the fact that I can write somewhat clearly - writing sales style copy to sell my idea is actually beyond my capabilities, it is something people study for after all. If you give me the copy you want to sell stuff with and a fair brief I can make a design for you to help clarify the things you want communicated but expect me to write your sales pitch and I will have to tell you to ask someone else.
I am sure you can see I am using a lot of words, even here, to try and communicate an idea I think could be communicated better.
You want graphic design and music, I am your man... when it comes to sound design or copy writing, I will have to defer to a more qualified person. When if comes to programming I would have to tell you I cant do anything, and I have even forgotten the html I used to know.
Ok either way I am sorry I have written a whole book trying to clarify my proposition here. I will try to be more concise next time.

MisterE
GitHub: MisterE123
IRC: MisterE
In-game: MisterE

by MisterE » Post

Exhale wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 02:53
"Please, your portfolio¿"
I admit I havent had a portfolio online for years I am 39 years old and I have nothing to prove to anyone, but my qualifications are that I am a B-tech graphic designer, with a cum laude in illustration. I used to make webpages in html when they were mostly html, and worked with a bunch of programmers who did the back end for a few years, then left that for printing after a while. My specialities are logos and I am very good at whole corporate identities... I will see if I can find my old portfolio, but simply I have lived a life in the industry and have even taught art and music (the most rewarding things I have done to be honest) to kids on a farm school.
If you have something you would like me to do I will see what I can do - I admit minetest is pretty plain, but it has an oldschool charm I have been enjoying. If you want a logo for it or some other elements just hit me up, I would happily contribute when i have time.
please, be extremely wary of sending any personal information to anyone here. A portfolio is chock full of it.

MisterE

by MisterE » Post

Exhale wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 06:07
"I just think you're wrong if you think no programmer wants to collaborate on helping you with even simple stuff" Oh I dont think that at all... I just think that if the process is made painless enough that people with no coding ability can make hopefully semi complicated games and mods without coding knowledge, ideas can be more fleshed out and working to a degree, so something like that can be released in the WIP section and people can be more excited to jump onto the project including other artists and programmers. In the end of the day it is just a proposition... and I do appreciate the endorsement of tools to make modding easier... I admit I am a bit of a loner and dont really want to propose ideas just out of the blue because in the end of the day if I have a dream project I just want to dive straight into trying it out... I admit when it comes to minecraft mods on mcreator, i only ended up making 1, a simple hand gun mod in forge, and 1 datapack to add a recipe for chainmail armour which frankly mojang should have added ages ago (chains are in the game mojang, but instead you made the eye of sauron update X_X)... anyways thank you for your time... I will be slowly looking into the lua thing, pacing myself so hopefully my phobia doesnt make me run for the hills (plenty of lovely hills in mineclone 5 :D) so I really hope the system is as simple as you guys claim, one step at a time I guess...
Anyways have a lovely day guys.
And all my adoration goes out to you for making such a wonderful engine for people to enjoy completely, hopefully forever, long after all of us are dead.
well, there are some games available for you to play around with to make your own experience.

viewtopic.php?t=23558

That lets you build an adventure puzzle game without coding. But to distribute it you will have to distribute the world/map

Also, arena_lib minigames let you make your own maps for them.

Exhale

by Exhale » Post

"well, there are some games available for you to play around with to make your own experience" thanks I am checking it out rn
"please, be extremely wary of sending any personal information to anyone here. A portfolio is chock full of it." understood

Blockhead

by Blockhead » Post

Exhale wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 06:25
it is about empowering all members of the team to do things... for example programmers can - even without any design or artistic experience or knowledge - fire up gimp and make a temporary texture for a new node/block they need to a feature or fire up their laptop's mic and record a quick sound in audacity as a place-holder for the sound designer to add a more refined one later, but artists dont have the same capacity from our end.
Yep, that's a great point. Programmers can usually work enough out to put "programmer art" into something but artists, unless pre-trained, in most projects can't do something as simple as adding objects like blocks, mobs to the game in a sketch form. The ability for someone to provide a workable sketch of something to another really helps collaboration.

It shouldn't be too difficult for someone to knock something together that lets you tick a few boxes, fill a form fields, select a texture and output a really basic node definition for Minetest. And yes, MCreator as you mentioned is probably a good place to take ideas from.
Exhale wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 06:25
Ok either way I am sorry I have written a whole book trying to clarify my proposition here. I will try to be more concise next time.
Don't worry, I tend to have the same problem on here :)
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

Exhale

by Exhale » Post

I am in tears, I am so glad I managed to finally get my message across. Giving basic tools for pure artists to be able to lay down some working demonstrations of our concepts would be massively empowering... and I think as an added bonus it would empower people who arent specifically artists or programmers to brainstorm ideas into a rough approximation of what they might be dreaming of, like kids in particular! I always think empowering kids to let their imaginations go wild is an important goal - especially for foss software. I am imagining a kid somewhere in the world working very hard on paint on some very charming textures for the nodes, putting down some basic rules like "this node goes on top of piles of this node (basic grass concept) and these nodes scatter randomly (the blades of grass and plants) building trees and giving them some models to work off as examples or something and maybe a pink sky with a black sun, with some basic buildings and posting that for people to see, and people taking it up as a whole new project involving flying whales and whatever the kid dreams up... T_T yeah that brings tears to my eyes because flying whales are actually a concept of mine I had for a world I drew a few pages of a comic about when I was a university... the idea was going to have flying ships too and possibly flying islands, but that kinda thing has been explored a lot these days... a black sun - it was just a nonsense image I thought up as something a kid would do, but it sounds very much like a black hole... um...
either way I might propose it on here eventually if anyone would want to try it out... I have a sci fi story I did a bunch more pages of a comic about... I might look back at drawing comics again... I didnt realise how much emotion it would stir up.
Thank you for your time guys, and I hope you have a lovely evening.

MisterE

by MisterE » Post

there is also a mod maker somewhere that builds a simple mod for you, such as adding simple blocks, tools, crafts, and it does the programming for you

Blockhead

by Blockhead » Post

There is Rubenwardy's Simple Mod Maker, but it is pretty rudimentary - only nodes and crafts. The start page has a link to the modding book and the contents of the first few chapters will teach you as much as the mod maker can do.

SuperStarSonic
GitHub: Python-Sargent
In-game: SuperStarSonic

Re: It's time to start making a game RIGHT NOW.

by SuperStarSonic » Post

v-rob wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 02:40
Who wants to make a game starting now?
The biggest reason for me is I have no idea how to publish it, I have a game I want to publish, but how do you make a game release topic or anything (What am I supposed to do?)

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

Go to WIP Games, hit the post button, give it a title, add a screenshot and a description, link the contentdb or github or whatever, and you're good.
Lead dev of Exile, git repo: https://codeberg.org/Mantar/Exile

SuperStarSonic
GitHub: Python-Sargent
In-game: SuperStarSonic

by SuperStarSonic » Post

Ok, thank you.