8 posts • Page 1 of 1
Evolutiontest ? Is it playable?
Red_King_Cyclops wrote:I googled One Hour One Life and it looks interesting, but I don't think there are any Minetest games like it. It reminds me of my Evolutiontest idea.
I do :-) Used to anyway. That's one of the most interesting shared world I have seen.patrick55 wrote:No one play that game?
For those who don't know it, it could be described as kind of ultra-survival game. Not that there are dangerous mobs, but that not dying of hunger is very hard. You also age. One minute is a year, at 60 you die. You are born as a baby from another player so you start with a family. Sustaining a farm is really hard, especially when some people decide to start doing clothes or blacksmithing and need to be fed by farmers.
I think there are most of the elements one needs to create a One Hour One Life feel in Minetest. Probably by tweaking one or two mods:
- Add a farming and cooking mod (viewtopic.php?t=9019)
- Use a hunger mod, set its setting much higher than default (viewtopic.php?t=19675)
- Add an aging timer, can probably be a customization of the hunger mod
- Change the inventory size to far less. Add the bags mod viewtopic.php?id=3081)
- Add a clothing mod (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11362) and probably add different base materials.
- Adding craft recipes is incredibly easy. Don't be afraid to try it. Create a directory into your mods/ directory, create a init.lua file and copy and modify a minetest.register_craft line that you like from another mod and modify it!
- Heat mechanics can probably be approximated using the artificial light level and the biome temperature setting.
- If you want to get rid of the night/day cycle, you can set time speed to zero and the sun at 12:00
- I don't know of any mods that implement decay, that would be an interesting addition.
One of the main obvious difference is that water is plentiful (as are ores and soil) in minetest. You will either want to change the map generation radically or find another limiting factor. There are some limited modding possibilities in terms of spawning, I have not explored them totally. Not sure how to spawn babies close to their moms.
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest