[Game idea] Evolutiontest-- From Africa to Alpha Centauri

cuthbertdoublebarrel
GitHub: cuthbert

Re: [Game idea] Evolutiontest-- From Africa to Alpha Centauri

by cuthbertdoublebarrel » Post

ywwv wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 04:20
I don't beleive in evolution . we have been de- evolving. ten thousand years ago everyone was 8 ffet t tall
Homo floresiensis nicknamed the hobbit only stood 3 ft 7 in . that was 60,000 to 100,000 years ago . do you think it was magic that made everyone grow all of a sudden to 8ft tall ten thousand years ago .?
Project BrutalTest...hide your Petz

ywwv

by ywwv » Post

cuthbertdoublebarrel wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 13:40
ywwv wrote:
I don't beleive in evolution . we have been de- evolving. ten thousand years ago everyone was 8 ffet t tall
Homo floresiensis nicknamed the hobbit only stood 3 ft 7 in . that was 60,000 to 100,000 years ago . do you think it was magic that made everyone grow all of a sudden to 8ft tall ten thousand years ago .?
I said ten thousand years ago. not 60 thousand. those are two different numbers.

pygmies are not relevant to a discussion about humans

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

Evolution means change.

You came from your mother and father. You inherited physical traits through a combination of their physical traits and some random mutations, perhaps. They, in turn, inherited physical traits from each of their parents, and so forth. You thus have a part of each of your ancestors within your DNA and thus physical traits. Perhaps your mothers eyes, your fathers nose, your grandmothers ears, your grandfathers build, your uncles bad hip, or your third cousins singing voice.

This is change. This is evolution.

The Bible and most other religious texts clearly tell this simple story, but in a way that was easy for those of that time to comprehend, much like telling your children about Santa Clause, fairies, gnomes or Internet Trolls. We, in our adultness, have somehow changed the magical god into a magic wand of prayer, pilgrimage, and time honored ritual. We forget that God/Jehovah/Allah/... reveals to us the truth, if we are open to receive it.

Regardless of your beliefs, facts are facts. It is why the COVID virus has mutated into at least 5 different strains in just this last year. Whether this be lab grown, or natural selection in the wild. It is why there are so many varieties of potatoes, tomotoes, apples, cows, dogs, horses, cats, apes, monkeys and humankeys.

Let's hope we've all evolved from the infants we were born into the adults we've become.

Shad

cuthbertdoublebarrel

ShadMOrdre wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 07:14
Evolution means change.
We forget that God/Jehovah/Allah/... reveals to us the truth, if we are open to receive it.
History reveals the truth that religion is the root of all evil , let us not forget the foundations it was built upon , the missionaries who deamed native tribes that would not convert as "animals", so as to circumnavigate "thou shalt not kill thy fellow man" . But your primitive beliefs will not let you see the real truth , that the only reason you are sat there safely preaching today is due to the collective "We" forcing people to convert or have them slaughtered so you would not have to.

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

Sun Mar 07, 2021 13:22
History reveals the truth that religion is the root of all evil , let us not forget the foundations it was built upon , the missionaries who deamed native tribes that would not convert as "animals", so as to circumnavigate "thou shalt not kill thy fellow man" . But your primitive beliefs will not let you see the real truth , that the only reason you are sat there safely preaching today is due to the collective "We" forcing people to convert or have them slaughtered so you would not have to.
At risk of derailing the thread, please keep conversation related to the topic of the game and the concepts within it (evolution, human development, etc.) If you wish to discuss this further in this personal form, DM is a better method of communication.

(And I agree that colonialism is bad, but if that's your conclusion of all history, that's a pretty narrow view.)

cuthbertdoublebarrel

philipbenr wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 21:28
At risk of derailing the thread, please keep conversation related to the topic of the game and the concepts within it (evolution, human development, etc.) If you wish to discuss this further in this personal form, DM is a better method of communication.

(And I agree that colonialism is bad, but if that's your conclusion of all history, that's a pretty narrow view.)
i am simply responding to the previous poster . as you can clearly see I did not change the topic of conversation . The irony of asking for someone to stop commenting and then proceed to post your own opinion on the very same subject ....

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

Let me make my point clearer
But your primitive beliefs will not let you see the real truth
is not discussing the idea of evolution or human history whatsoever, and is an absolutely loaded comment, directed heavily Shad. 'Bait' as some might call it.
Mon Mar 08, 2021 06:20
The irony of asking for someone to stop commenting and then proceed to post your own opinion on the very same subject ....
Funnily enough, it had little to do with my opinion and was more commentary on your hot, generalized take.

And you can totally respond to my offhand comment, but again, I just don't want the thread to devolve into a wall of text debating all of the heavily complex topics that the original comment you made involves. I'm down to debate with you in DM, but again, not in this thread, as it will derail too far off of the original concept of evolution and human development and rather into philosophy, theology, and many other quite different topics.

cuthbertdoublebarrel

philipbenr wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 08:31
Let me make my point clearer
But your primitive beliefs will not let you see the real truth
is not discussing the idea of evolution or human history whatsoever, and is an absolutely loaded comment, directed heavily Shad. 'Bait' as some might call it.
Then prehaps you should be having a quite word with shad . after all I was not the one to start preaching about religion and using the collective "we" which i find offensive . you got 2 options either shut up or continue with what some might also call "baiting" due to you taking a personal dislike to my opinion . clearly i was not the one who brought religion into the topic but you are clearly targeting me for it .

freshreplicant
In-game: freshreplicant

by freshreplicant » Post

Might be worth it if all participants keep the forum rules in mind - especially the bolded text:
8. No personal attacks: Members of this forum should not be insulted or otherwise attacked on the basis of who or what they are. If you wish to criticize someone for their actions, it should be constructive. Please remember this is a game forum. You should be polite when possible and leave political and other unrelated opinions elsewhere if they might prove disruptive.
This thread has become derailed over the course of a few days and is now only very tangentially related to what the original post was about (e.g. an idea for a Minetest game).

MCL
GitHub: MCLx86
IRC: migdyn
In-game: singleplayer

by MCL » Post

Has anybody actually gotten around to making this game? While I would love to write a game like this myself, I really dislike Lua and I don't have the motivation.
2014-02-14 - 2024-02-14 TEN YEARS OF MCL

corasTenthTry
GitHub: corarona
IRC: cora
In-game: cora

by corasTenthTry » Post

Regarding the root of all evil: I have positively identified it - it has been us all along. If we don't have religion we find something else to kill each other over the problem isn't *religion* per se but dogmatism I'd say ... (it might just be easy to confuse the 2 sometimes i guess).

Now slowly back on topic - i'll get there, promise ^^^
ywwv wrote:
I don't beleive in evolution . we have been de- evolving. ten thousand years ago everyone was 8 ffet t tall amd tjhe nbugs were 100 times bigger and you had to throw spears at them . I erad this on national geograph ic
Just to get some things straight here:
10k years ago we were essentially doing what we're doing now, if in less fancy ways with less digital watches :P those aren't evolutionary time scales ... the anatomically modern human is "only" like 300k years old. ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_modern_human )

The "big bug era" was WAY before that .. like 300 Million years ago( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbonife ... ertebrates ) and there were no monkeys to throw spears at them either. Mutant fish (tetrapods) had just about split up into the early forms of mammals and reptiles/birds i think.
ShadMOrdre wrote:
Evolution means change.

You came from your mother and father[..]
From what I understand, the function of sexual reproduction (by far not the norm in nature btw.) is understood to rather keep the gene pool stable (prevent mutations) than to facilitate change e.g. if you have a mutation and produce offspring via sex there is a good chance that mutation will not make it into the next generation as only half of your genes will make the cut while in non sexual species that chance is about 100% every time.

No evolution does not mean change. It means "filtering" out the stuff that works "well enough" for a species survive. In case of us humans it means essentially no (or very little) change for all this time. In case of other species it means no change for even longer times, classic examples being like sharks and crocodiles - you might have heard the term "living fossil". ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punctuate ... ium#Stasis ).

Change only happens when there is a reason to change (selective pressure).

Alright now actually on topic:
I am very interested in this and am somewhat motivated and like lua ^^ Not sure I like the idea of gods aliens "making" people evolve; why not just have them do it naturally + this isn't really (biological) evolution. Ultimately it seems to be more about intellectual tradition (memes) than genes.

Maybe an actual evolutiontest could be fun too even though I have no Idea how that could work lol.

On the technical side I would advise against making it out of preexisting mods tbh. you'll end up with a very hard to maintain mess (but maybe I'm just mcl2 traumatized lol).

Looking at the dates this seems to be pretty much dead though? I've somewhat touched on the stoneage part of this in my current experiments so who knows; maybe i'll take it up ^^ but the scope of this is HUGE - might make sense to make it a few completely separate games tbh. If only for the lack of space (the mt world is tiny, particularly if the plan is to go to space).

Red_King_Cyclops

by Red_King_Cyclops » Post

corasTenthTry wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 03:04
Regarding the root of all evil: I have positively identified it - it has been us all along. If we don't have religion we find something else to kill each other over the problem isn't *religion* per se but dogmatism I'd say ... (it might just be easy to confuse the 2 sometimes i guess).

Now slowly back on topic - i'll get there, promise ^^^
ywwv wrote:
I don't beleive in evolution . we have been de- evolving. ten thousand years ago everyone was 8 ffet t tall amd tjhe nbugs were 100 times bigger and you had to throw spears at them . I erad this on national geograph ic
Just to get some things straight here:
10k years ago we were essentially doing what we're doing now, if in less fancy ways with less digital watches :P those aren't evolutionary time scales ... the anatomically modern human is "only" like 300k years old. ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_modern_human )

The "big bug era" was WAY before that .. like 300 Million years ago( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbonife ... ertebrates ) and there were no monkeys to throw spears at them either. Mutant fish (tetrapods) had just about split up into the early forms of mammals and reptiles/birds i think.
ShadMOrdre wrote:
Evolution means change.

You came from your mother and father[..]
From what I understand, the function of sexual reproduction (by far not the norm in nature btw.) is understood to rather keep the gene pool stable (prevent mutations) than to facilitate change e.g. if you have a mutation and produce offspring via sex there is a good chance that mutation will not make it into the next generation as only half of your genes will make the cut while in non sexual species that chance is about 100% every time.

No evolution does not mean change. It means "filtering" out the stuff that works "well enough" for a species survive. In case of us humans it means essentially no (or very little) change for all this time. In case of other species it means no change for even longer times, classic examples being like sharks and crocodiles - you might have heard the term "living fossil". ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punctuate ... ium#Stasis ).

Change only happens when there is a reason to change (selective pressure).

Alright now actually on topic:
I am very interested in this and am somewhat motivated and like lua ^^ Not sure I like the idea of gods aliens "making" people evolve; why not just have them do it naturally + this isn't really (biological) evolution. Ultimately it seems to be more about intellectual tradition (memes) than genes.

Maybe an actual evolutiontest could be fun too even though I have no Idea how that could work lol.

On the technical side I would advise against making it out of preexisting mods tbh. you'll end up with a very hard to maintain mess (but maybe I'm just mcl2 traumatized lol).

Looking at the dates this seems to be pretty much dead though? I've somewhat touched on the stoneage part of this in my current experiments so who knows; maybe i'll take it up ^^ but the scope of this is HUGE - might make sense to make it a few completely separate games tbh. If only for the lack of space (the mt world is tiny, particularly if the plan is to go to space).
I've been away from this thread for a while and it's interesting to see what happened to it.
Although I didn't know it then, my idea was basically a combination of Spore, Civilization, and Minecraft. I agree that the scope of this game would be too large, but we could reduce the size. The mod techage already provides part of the experience and I'm working on a mod for the space age, so maybe the game could be focused on just stone age / prehistoric survival. Now that I think about it, making the player change between different creatures wouldn't make sense in terms of evolution but it could be easily implemented by changing the player model and physics.
Currently working on new mods.