Game Making FAQ [W.I.P.] - post your questions here

texmex

GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: texmex

Re: Game Making FAQ [W.I.P.] - post your questions here

by texmex » Thu Sep 05, 2019 16:12

Yeah, thanks for that introduction Wuzzy. I was able to actually get something off the ground in a short amount of time thanks to not having to guess stuff.

ShadMOrdre

GitHub: ShadMOrdre
In-game: shadmordre

by ShadMOrdre » Thu Sep 05, 2019 19:32

Wuzzy gave us great advise there.

As a quick start, towards jumpstarting further development, I recommend the specific following mods.

Wuzzy's Empty game. It's basically the file structure with some dummy images to get started on menu customization.

burli's modbase experiment provided some quick starts for the gui and player. Gui means the base formspec, referenced by many mods that depend on default for this one thing. the player is essentially the player_api, found in MTG v5.

To round out the Gui/Hud/Inv, Wuzzy's hudbars, or Blockmen's hud_hunger modpack, with hbsprint, for the Hud and sfinv, sfinv_buttons, and smart_sfinv modpack for inventory.

It goes to say here that simply using a themed set of different textures will greatly help in getting a better overall look and feel for your particular game dev project.

You'll need a player model, so 3d_armor, or the default from player_api. player_anim is a nice feature. I've had issues with the multiskin model, but would prefer to use it. (A new model, with more animations, and more texture options, maybe.) Also, any non-human like character models need to also include things like armor sets, that are applied specifically for those models. A tree ent does not look too good in a Diamond helmet.

player_monoids, playereffects, late, and pova, if desired, to expand player. 3d_armor to round out the player experience. Awards, quests, and sys4_quests modpack also provide some depth. These all

Most of the above is largely functionality, with limited to no actual gameplay content, but a great base to start.

I think alot of this could easily be consolidated.

With this base, I am working on something.....

Shad
MY MODS: lib_ecology lib_materials lib_clouds lib_node_shapes ---- Inspired By: Open Source Virtual World Simulator Opensimulator.

Steamed_Punk

GitHub: steamed-punk

by Steamed_Punk » Thu Oct 03, 2019 08:42

I have searched the forums under various wordings and duckduck and googly and keep coming back to the wiki or ruben's book which are basicly the same thing.
The closest i have come so far to a tutorial is Wuzzy's short guide in this thread.

Maybe it's just me but there are a couple of things that aren't quite clear with game creating in general and i think that is down to the fact there is no tutorial.

Through various threads and topics i see that games are what people seem to think is the active/selling point for minetest, more so than the easy modding. I started a mod and was up and running within 5 minutes of trying to learn. It is very easy. On the other hand getting my head round game creating is not as easy.

I see that more advanced builders think that using the default minetest is not the best way to go. I noticed that the minetest tutorial (Tn1) game uses another way of loading and storing structures and data saving.
Over the years since 2011 i believe, there are various threads that seemed to have started about getting organized, creating teams and building games or tutorials. Different threads that try to start something and from what i can see, most of them lead nowhere really. Do people just loose interest?

I have an idea that i think may help people learn to build games with the same level of ease as learning to mod, maybe even easier.

@WUZZY
If you could build working example of your mentioned structure. If you had this with a 3x3 node (single 1 node removable mod) platform to spawn on and you elaborated the how to get in and explain where the map/game data is stored. The basic info required in the config file etc. This would probably be the beginning of the very first working game creation tutorial ever to be produced.
You could even explain (for some) that people just need to rename this that and the other, add the mods they want, build a bit and eventually remove the starting node_mod etc etc. Yeah i know free time is limited ;-) But a basic working model that people could start with would be perfect for noobs like me.
People will still have to learn how to build their game mods and include them but at least an empty world to build on would be a great starting point.?!

I have spent the last 2 days reading everything that isn't out there to help and trying to start my own game without using minetest default. Missing tutorials, missing logic, not learning and no game is the result.
I am stuck on getting my head round "Game" "World" and "game/map data" Do i build a game or a world, what's the difference, where is the world/map stored in a game or does the game call on the world folder. This part is a real headache.

If you could build this as a starter pack, i would have no problems doing screen shots and helping build the information side to go alongside the pack. Or base textures for the pack itself. Let me know.

Just thoughts.
The sky is not the limit - It's my playground

ShadMOrdre

GitHub: ShadMOrdre
In-game: shadmordre

by ShadMOrdre » Thu Oct 03, 2019 17:02

Steamed_Punk,

What I'm finding out, as I go through this process also, is that most of the work is simply redirecting calls.

A lot of mods were made prior to MTv5.0, and thus, still use default.player.... instead of using the newer player_api mod. This was rather trivial to get updated.

I recommend simply putting all the MTG mods, minus default, into a "modpack", a folder that contains a modpack.txt file, and all the relevant mods. You will have to adjust dependencies.

A basic game is player_api, sfinv, some code from default, and a mapgen. Mapgen is a mod that provides the nodes, and the mapgen aliases, just like default does. The code from default that you will absolutely need is essentially the "gui" defining code.

I've been working at this concept for several weeks now, and will get my own interpretations of all this posted soon.

There is no clear way to program a game, simply because there are too many considerations. All relate to the game in question.

Some games want / need a fully developed player character, while other games simply need an avatar to represent the player. Some games will need tools, crafting, and such, while other games do not consider these as gameplay elements.

I'm willing to answer any specific questions you may have. Whether or not the answers will be helpful, I can't say.

Shad
MY MODS: lib_ecology lib_materials lib_clouds lib_node_shapes ---- Inspired By: Open Source Virtual World Simulator Opensimulator.

Steamed_Punk

GitHub: steamed-punk

by Steamed_Punk » Thu Oct 03, 2019 17:43

ShadMOrdre wrote:Steamed_Punk,

What I'm finding out, as I go through this process also, is that most of the work is simply redirecting calls.

A lot of mods were made prior to MTv5.0, and thus, still use default.player.... instead of using the newer player_api mod. This was rather trivial to get updated.

I recommend simply putting all the MTG mods, minus default, into a "modpack", a folder that contains a modpack.txt file, and all the relevant mods. You will have to adjust dependencies.

A basic game is player_api, sfinv, some code from default, and a mapgen. Mapgen is a mod that provides the nodes, and the mapgen aliases, just like default does. The code from default that you will absolutely need is essentially the "gui" defining code.

I've been working at this concept for several weeks now, and will get my own interpretations of all this posted soon.

There is no clear way to program a game, simply because there are too many considerations. All relate to the game in question.

Some games want / need a fully developed player character, while other games simply need an avatar to represent the player. Some games will need tools, crafting, and such, while other games do not consider these as gameplay elements.

I'm willing to answer any specific questions you may have. Whether or not the answers will be helpful, I can't say.

Shad

Hi Shad and thanks for the reply and offer to help. Yes i will need help getting started, but since reading this thread the idea of getting a tutorial out seems to have taken over as more important. If only by asking stupid questions leading to replies that can eventually prevent someone else embarrassing themselves. Which in turn allows you to finalize your concept. I will be patient.
Based on what i said to wuzzy, i contacted him trying to find out more and suggest working on getting something out, but i am guessing his eventual reaction will be similar to yours "every game has different requirements" and packing something like that up wouldn't work.
I have to admit i am used to building stuff in another way, not MC, and i have to rethink everything again to adapt to minetest.

I will take note of what you said as well and have another crack over the weekend, i will come back if i need help.

Thanks again for a clear reply. This thread definitely needs being taken to a final result, it's a great idea and i think very much needed. Bravo.
The sky is not the limit - It's my playground

Previous

Return to Game Discussion