Nodecore
72%
Minetest Game
28%

Total votes: 18

Red_King_Cyclops

Nodecore is the first successful game to not be MTG

by Red_King_Cyclops » Post

Last time I was on the forums, I noticed there was a lot of pessimism. Apparently, Minetest was made to be an engine for different games with their own mods and add-ons, but instead, everyone modded the default game, MTG (Minetest Game), or created games that were just copies of MTG but with more mods. There were very few "original" games. People were saying that Minetest failed.

However, one game has succeeded in being engaging, original, and modded by many people. This game is called NodeCore (NC), and it is the first game to potentially challenge MTG's supremacy. Today, NC has almost 10,000 downloads, 23 mods, and 3 texture packs, a huge feat. Personally, I never did that well in NC and the farthest I ever got was I built an Atze; however, a lot of people rave about NC, and prominent Minetesters have reviewed it.

Do you think that Minetest games are getting better? Do you think that NC rivals MTG?
Last edited by Red_King_Cyclops on Sat Sep 26, 2020 19:53, edited 6 times in total.
Currently working on new mods.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

Re: Nodecore is the first successful game to not be MTG

by rubenwardy » Post

Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Zughy
GitHub: belongs_to_microsoft
In-game: Zughy

by Zughy » Post

+1 for NodeCore: it built an interesting puzzle game out of Minetest, it definitely distanced itself from what's basically an incomplete Minecraft clone

Saturn

by Saturn » Post

Red_King_Cyclops wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 13:22
Last time I was on the forums, I noticed there was a lot of pessimism. Apparently, Minetest was made to be an engine for different games with their own mods and add-ons, but instead, everyone modded the default game, MTG (Minetest Game), or created games that were just copies of MTG but with more mods. There were very few "original" games. People were saying that Minetest failed.
As far as I know, Minetest has been a game until v0.4, then the Core Developers decided to turn it into an engine.
This is why many games that have been around since years are "just Minetest Game with mods".

As maintainer of "Hamlet's Quest" I must say that such a definition is unpleasant, and I must add that I am not pleased knowing that there are mods and/or games that are published on the Content DB before that they have passed the steps in the WIP forums, that is, before a "move topic request" has been posted in the Games and/or Mods releases, reviewed by a moderator and approved.

Pessimism... here's some: why should I bother using the WIP forum, then comply to the format requirements (licensing, dependencies, credits, etc.) to have my stuff moved in the releases section? All of that BEFORE uploading it on the Content DB.
I could just upload on the ContentDB, - without complying to the format requirements for a release - who cares about the forums?

And here some more pessimism: if games like "Hamlet's Quest" are just Minetest Game with mods, why should I bother maintaining the game itself, a task that requires far more than downloading a bunch of mods and packing them together (I have even developed some of those mods)?
Do you have a slight idea of how much time requires to have it all working without - major - bugs, making it consistent to the theme, and tweaking the whole stuff to be something more than a modpack?
And after that, making sure that you have given credit both in-game and in the documentation to all the relative mods' developers.
And despite this, there's always some bug popping out, still you keep trying to maintain the whole thing; what for? Only God knows.

Long live the non-Minetest-Game-based games, best wishes and good luck.
But, let's stop belittleling games on that base, like if they were cheap Minetest Game's rip-offs.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Saturn wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 19:14
I must add that I am not pleased knowing that there are mods and/or games that are published on the Content DB before that they have passed the steps in the WIP forums, that is, before a "move topic request" has been posted in the Games and/or Mods releases, reviewed by a moderator and approved.

Pessimism... here's some: why should I bother using the WIP forum, then comply to the format requirements (licensing, dependencies, credits, etc.) to have my stuff moved in the releases section? All of that BEFORE uploading it on the Content DB.
I could just upload on the ContentDB, - without complying to the format requirements for a release - who cares about the forums?
This happens on ContentDB too, packages need to be approved and everything that is required on the forums is also required on ContentDB. It just happens that ContentDB has fields for each thing that is required, automatically deals with some of it, and is easier to do approvals - no need to faff with phpBB's terrible moderator interface
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Saturn

by Saturn » Post

rubenwardy wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 19:33
This happens on ContentDB too, packages need to be approved and everything that is required on the forums is also required on ContentDB. It just happens that ContentDB has fields for each thing that is required, automatically deals with some of it, and is easier to do approvals - no need to faff with phpBB's terrible moderator interface
Ah! I didn't know, well, thanks for the clarification :)

Jastiv

by Jastiv » Post

I know the pain of downloading various mods together and things crashing and breaking the server and then I have no idea how to fix it. What we really need is full time paid developers on this project who get rich and live in mansions in expensive areas and show of their fancy lifestyles to the masses so everyone then everyone wants to develop free software games just hoping they will get rich and live up to the seven figure lifestyle.