Game Idea/Concept: Roshar/Scadrial

The Lord Ruler
In-game: Boromir

Game Idea/Concept: Roshar/Scadrial

by The Lord Ruler » Post

I recently reread Mistborn: The Final Empire and thought that it could make an interesting game.
I thought on how the different magic systems might work, but that went bad quickly, what with Steel jumping and soothing and rioting people's emotions. Feruchemy might be viable, as well as Hemalurgy, but Allomancy would just be too much trouble.

I suppose it could just be the biomes, but ash, ash, ash, and more ash would likely get boring quickly.

But then there's Roshar, the setting of the Stormlight Archives.
I saw on the 17th Shard forums that somebody was making a Minecraft mod for that, and so obviously it needs to be on Minetest as well.
Completely different biomes, a magic system that might not be present, depending on the era, Shardblades and Shardplate, Spren, Fabrials, Cremlings, Chull, and Chasmfiends.

This could actually work, though mine own skills with modding are not very advanced.
I may or may not attempt to make it, depending on how many people like this idea, and how many of them would rather do it themselves.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Quercus

Re: Game Idea/Concept: Roshar/Scadrial

by Quercus » Post

That sounds like a cool idea! I think it would be pretty amazing to go around Roshar.

"Completely different biomes"
That's definitely viable.

"a magic system that might not be present"
Not sure how that would work exactly. Probably depends on the magic you're trying to do.

"Shardblades and Shardplate"
Shardblades are just really long swords that can cut anything - very doable.
Shardplate is probably doable by tweaking 3d_armour.
Presumably these would be rare, like in the book.

"Spren, Cremlings, Chull, and Chasmfiends"
These would just be mobs. Might be a challenge making the models though.
You could catch spren like bugs and then be able to put them in your inventory.

"Fabrials"
Could craft these with spren.
Some of the effects may not be very useful in Minetest though.
(But a flying ship would be really cool!)

Some ideas from me:
It's be pretty cool if you could go through a portal to Shadesmar.
Urithu built in Minetest, and the other cities.
Not sure how viable it would be to have the map of Roshar as the minetest map.
You could choose a Knight Radiant Order as a class

I would help anyone interested try and make it. I have a bit of experience modding, and have developed a limited game.

The only thing about this is that it probably only appeals to people who've read the books!

The Lord Ruler

by The Lord Ruler » Post

I'm glad that there's somebody on these forums who's read those books. I was beginning to think I was the only one.
The only thing about this is that it probably only appeals to people who've read the books!
Aye, that would be the problem. So far, it seems it's just the two of us interested in this. There are probably more, but . . .

Anyway, I'd like to try making it. Taking a leaf out of Lord Of The Test's book, it could just be a survival game set on Roshar, with disconnected achievements and a possible end-goal.

I was wondering about Shards. Perhaps it might be possible to become Odium or Honor by taking their Shards?

Anyways, always glad to find another person who's read these books.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Quercus

by Quercus » Post

The Lord Ruler wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 06:58
Anyway, I'd like to try making it. Taking a leaf out of Lord Of The Test's book, it could just be a survival game set on Roshar, with disconnected achievements and a possible end-goal.
Do you have a Github account so that we could contribute to the same repository of code? I just made a repo with some starting files. (https://github.com/kingdunadd/roshar)
The Lord Ruler wrote:
I was wondering about Shards. Perhaps it might be possible to become Odium or Honor by taking their Shards?
Not sure how that would work in terms of mechanics/what you would be able to do with that, but it's a cool idea!
The Lord Ruler wrote:
Anyways, always glad to find another person who's read these books.
They are good books. I'm surprised why they aren't as big as Game of Thrones or Wheel of Time.

The Lord Ruler

by The Lord Ruler » Post

Sorry for the late reply, there was some bad weather. The electricity has come back until recently
Quercus wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 17:18
Do you have a Github account so that we could contribute to the same repository of code?
I just created one now. https://github.com/Thasphrevae
Quercus wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 17:18
Not sure how that would work in terms of mechanics/what you would be able to do with that, but it's a cool idea!
Sort of like how in LOTT, crafting the Rings of Power gives you cool powers? Unsure.
GNU Terry Pratchett

The Lord Ruler

by The Lord Ruler » Post

Several minor (but semi-important) notes:
  • Roshar has 3 moons: Salas, Mishim, and Nomon.
  • Gravity on Roshar is 70% of the norm
  • Because of Highstorms, hardened crem builds up on the eastern side of stationary objects
  • Also because of Highstorms, Shinovar is the only area on Roshar with any considerable amount of soil
  • Most forms of Rosharan flora retract their tendrils/leaves when they detect danger. The trees retract their fronds into trunks that are either made of stone or wood augmented by hardened crem
And some more important ones:
  • There are 2 other inhabited planets in the Rosharan system: Braize (cold and uninhabitable, only spirits live there) and Ashyn
Ashyn is where humans originally came from. The ones who remain live on floating cities, as the surface has volcanic problems, or somesuch
  • There is also the Shadesmar. Where there is land on Roshar, there is an ocean of beads in the Shadesmar.
It should be possible for the players to get to these places. We could probably do this with dimensions?

I think that's it.
GNU Terry Pratchett