Mindustry 3D

GeneralBaker
In-game: The New Anuke

Mindustry 3D

by GeneralBaker » Post

Hello, I am working on re-creating Mindustry in Minetest. I have some of the basic code for blocks/textures down, and was wondering if anyone would be interested in working on this project too.

If you don't know what mindustry is, check it out here before continuing, it will make much more sense: https://anuke.itch.io/mindustry

I am looking for people at any experience level. I am trying to build this project from the ground up, so every block/function in the original minetest game is likely going to be changed, and I know very little myself.

Some images so far can be found attached below.

Before starting, you should probably know that a lot of mindustry could not be copied into minetest easily, if at all. Therefore, I will be looking for creative solutions to some problems that may arise.

An example issue when making mindustry in minetest is blocks are always a certain size, but I would like to make turrets and such bigger. Therefore, the solution to this is making the turrets actual mobs, then they can be animated, shoot projectiles, and be any size or shape you want.

In minetest, you are able to break blocks to get resources. This will not be the case in this game. You will have a personal drill that can mine specific types of resources, and drills you can build from resources you collect. Most of your resources will be located in the 'core', and you should be able to 'build' schematics using stuff from the 'core'.

But lets not get ahead of ourselves :)

If you want to help, feel free (and thanks!), otherwise expect a long wait before anything is released.

[P.S. If you don't want to code, there is options for that too! Try to remake some of the drones in blender using the 2D references, such as this one: https://mindustrygame.github.io/wiki/units/0-dagger/]
Attachments
Added/changed blocks and items in inventory
Added/changed blocks and items in inventory
Screenshot 2022-09-15 001322.png (25.97 KiB) Viewed 5244 times
Modded world with custom biomes
Modded world with custom biomes
Screenshot 2022-09-15 001455.png (415.99 KiB) Viewed 5244 times

Desour
GitHub: Desour
IRC: Desour
In-game: DS
Location: I'm scared that if this is too exact, I will be unable to use my keyboard.

Re: Mindustry 3D

by Desour » Post

Mindustry is a pretty neat game, imo. I've also once thought about making a subgame using its game mechanics. But then I wasn't sure how to make it in 3D in such a way that there's an actual benefit through the 3D-ness.
he/him; Codeberg; GitHub; ContentDB; public personal TODO list; "DS" is preferred (but often too short)

debiankaios
IRC: debiankaios
In-game: debiankaios Nowe

by debiankaios » Post

I like the game and wanted do the same project too. I help you gladly, maybe a bit less next time. Another thing is that alpha, beta and gama are flying units. Do you get fly-priv granted if you are one of this units. How work other units. With the 6.0 or the 7.0 System. What is with the other planets. The multiple block problem: mindustry solved it that it add for a 2x2 4 blocks so we would ad 8 blocks and if you place it all get placed side by side? We must add a pause to singleplayer without escape and where you can move. Which git do we use? I would propose gitlab because we can add costfree private projects there.

MisterE
GitHub: MisterE123
IRC: MisterE
In-game: MisterE

by MisterE » Post

You will want to start a game for minetest from scratch for this project, not use minetest-game. Minetest game has waaay too many things that are for a survival crafting experience that are not what you want for Mindustry.

If you really want to start from minetest game, I suggest making a minigame with arena_lib (https://gitlab.com/zughy-friends-minetest/arena_lib). That will handle some of the basics of game flow. If you want a standalone game, start from scratch.

I wish you luck on this project. Generally, if you want to start a project, you just start it, and if people like it they volunteer a bit of time here and there. Otherwise, you conscript a few friends to be your development team. Unfortunately, everyone here has multiple projects they already work on. So the most you can expect is for people to help a little. But hey, maybe you'll get lucky.

Some tips:

Modeling: download Blockbench and blender. Use Blockbench to make the base models, then use Blender to touch them up and export them. You may be able to just use Blockbench for some things (.obj; static models), it has a much nicer interface.

Game design: Mindustry is way too large a scope for you to emulate. It's likely that you will start, and not finish. Instead, design a plan for a small mini-game-like game that has a small, approachable scope that you can finish. Make it so it can be expanded in the future to be more like Mindustry. Make it so that in its first version it is playable and fun, but not complicated. If you want help, publish a game design document as well.

Also, check out: https://content.minetest.net/packages/Aurailus/lexa/ while unfinished, it is basically what you want. You could fork and finish it.

GeneralBaker

by GeneralBaker » Post

Another thing is that alpha, beta and gama are flying units. Do you get fly-priv granted if you are one of this units. How work other units.
I would likely not start with the character flying. In the older versions of mindustry (I believe V.5), you were able to chose a walker unit from the core. I would start with these. Most units would be walkers for now, and the rest turrets. Walkers would be simple mobs with fantastic textures. Flying units may be possible with Creatura.
The multiple block problem: mindustry solved it that it add for a 2x2 4 blocks so we would ad 8 blocks and if you place it all get placed side by side?
In minetest, you have the ability to add a larger texture to blocks to make the texture span multiple blocks, so that is how I would generate the environment. You couldn't break blocks, so it wouldn't be a huge issue to do that.

For any large object that moves, I would make it a mob. So turrets would be very large mobs with a very large head.
We must add a pause to singleplayer without escape and where you can move.
I don't think that exists in mindustry
Which git do we use?
I would be down for either Github/Gitlab, but the project will be open source with a GPLv3 License. Number one because I like open source, and two because the alternative is likely illegal.

I will likely post the project on Github soon though

GeneralBaker

by GeneralBaker » Post

You will want to start a game for minetest from scratch for this project
I pretty much am
...small, approachable scope that you can finish
It is pretty small for now, my only goals right now is to create drills, make ores that can be mined, yet not destroyed, basic schematic crafting, a few turrets and walkers. Biomes too, but thats easy XD

All resource flow will auto go to the 'core', and all resources can be used from anywhere without conveyors.

I will not be touching: flying units, conveyors, any unit higher than tier 1, boats, crafting complicated 3rd tier materials, making it multiplayer, high-level turrets, missiles, water usage, etc.
Also, check out: https://content.minetest.net/packages/Aurailus/lexa/ while unfinished, it is basically what you want. You could fork and finish it.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I might have to pass. It is difficult to work on large repositories AND pick up a new programming language without any sort of help from experienced people, so I will be writing most of this from scratch and implementing whatever mods I can find.

Secondly, while mindustry is a tower defence, there is no single 'path' for enemies to follow. I would simply have a spawn zone and the enemies will figure it out from there. I will look into how the interface was done in the game you suggested, because it does look nice.

Thanks for your detailed suggestions, I really appreciate it!

debiankaios

by debiankaios » Post

I am for gitlab because i else can't help on the project. Or you make a pull/push mirnor on gitlab which allows you to make merge requests on github and on gitlab.

GeneralBaker

by GeneralBaker » Post

debiankaios wrote: ↑
Thu Sep 15, 2022 19:31
I am for gitlab because i else can't help on the project. Or you make a pull/push mirnor on gitlab which allows you to make merge requests on github and on gitlab.
Got it. Gitlab is fine

debiankaios

by debiankaios » Post

• Did you already begin with the project?
  • Should i create a new repo?
  • If yes, should i create it in a new group or as user?
  • I have a new idea: In your hotbar you can select all unlocked items(like Mechanical Drills) of your selected group(a group is for example the drill-group). The group you can select in inventory. Core items are shown on top(like in normal mindustry) and the items you have are shown anywhere too. Instead of the hearts as health i would use this bar like mindustry it do which change his color(and the bar get more tiny) if you loose health.
  • What should i do as first work?
  • You pause the game in mindustry if you press space. You can place things(They will built after you unpause) and remove things(They will removed after unpause)
  • We must add a function mindustry.register_item and mindustry.register_node. The systems work other. You can say the size("1x1x1", "2x2x2", "3x3x3", "4x4x4", "5x5x5") and per registered node must add all stages and the build-phase blocks.
You see it's a very complex thing because mindustry is a 2d-minecraft-oriented game(like my fried say every time) but have a complete other system and goal.

debiankaios

by debiankaios » Post

Here i have a prototype of the dagger made witch blockbench:
dagger-prototype.png
dagger-prototype.png (10.71 KiB) Viewed 5083 times

debiankaios

by debiankaios » Post

This still isn't final but better
better-dagger-prototype.png
better-dagger-prototype.png (12.41 KiB) Viewed 5071 times

GeneralBaker

by GeneralBaker » Post

Mon Sep 19, 2022 18:02
This still isn't final but better
better-dagger-prototype.png
Sorry it has been a while, but I created the repo: https://gitlab.com/ReallyBasicGames/mindustry_3d

Lets start with drills. Make drills that auto add stuff to the inventory, and can be placed on any ore block and start mining it.

The dagger is nice, but should probably be a little taller. I picture the entire top of the body + arms being the 'head' while the legs will just pathfind toward the core.

debiankaios

by debiankaios » Post

You still need to grant me access rights so I can help better.

debiankaios

by debiankaios » Post

I think some mods aren't needed. I could make a merge request to remove first things we alreadys aren't needing.

debiankaios

by debiankaios » Post

What do you say to this dagger:
dagger-prototype_prefinal.png
dagger-prototype_prefinal.png (9.65 KiB) Viewed 5032 times
I know it look a bit other in 3d. Legs aren't here but arms. The arms have to be reworked because they are weapons normaly. The eye(or better said camera) you don't see in normal mindusty.

GeneralBaker

by GeneralBaker » Post

Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:50
You still need to grant me access rights so I can help better.
Done
Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:55
I think some mods aren't needed. I could make a merge request to remove first things we alreadys aren't needing.
Sure
Tue Sep 20, 2022 14:16
What do you say to this dagger:
dagger-prototype_prefinal.png
I know it look a bit other in 3d. Legs aren't here but arms. The arms have to be reworked because they are weapons normaly. The eye(or better said camera) you don't see in normal mindusty.
Not exactly what I had in mind. I will sketch something later to show you what I mean. Until then maybe work on a drill block or something.

debiankaios

by debiankaios » Post

GeneralBaker wrote: ↑
Tue Sep 20, 2022 16:10
Not exactly what I had in mind. I will sketch something later to show you what I mean. Until then maybe work on a drill block or something.
It's not finished. But ok. I try to implement it ingame.

Skamiz Kazzarch
GitHub: Skamiz
In-game: Skamiz

by Skamiz Kazzarch » Post

Did some experiments. Dunno if anything will come of it yet.
min_001.png
min_001.png (356.66 KiB) Viewed 4940 times
min_002.png
min_002.png (491.51 KiB) Viewed 4940 times
min_003.png
min_003.png (450.8 KiB) Viewed 4940 times

GeneralBaker

by GeneralBaker » Post

Skamiz Kazzarch wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 23, 2022 19:48
Did some experiments. Dunno if anything will come of it yet.
min_001.png
min_002.png
min_003.png
These look perfect! I like that you made it darker as you increase elevation, it adds a lot to the visual.

Skamiz Kazzarch
GitHub: Skamiz
In-game: Skamiz

by Skamiz Kazzarch » Post

Enabled ore and decoration spawning and made the mapgen only active on singlenode worlds.
min_004.png
min_004.png (419.67 KiB) Viewed 4906 times
There probably isn't much point to developing this further until the game itself matures quite a bit. So here is the mod file if you want to mess around with it. It depens on my other mod Noise Handler. Also there is a good chance that it spawns you underground.

I mostly made this to see if my idea for mimicking the darkness from the original would work out. It's just airlike nodes that don't propagate sunlight placed on any terrain higher then the floor. Though the engine messes up sometimes and you have to fix some wrong shadows with the '/fixlight' command.
Attachments
mindustry_mapgen.zip
(1.96 KiB) Downloaded 69 times

sakyce
GitHub: Sakyce
In-game: sakyce

by sakyce » Post

Heyy, is that project still alive ?

Fireninja
In-game: Fireninja