YAGI - apologies for the repetition

nmhk
GitHub: Nikomaru
In-game: nmhk

YAGI - apologies for the repetition

by nmhk » Post

You know the drill; this is the games discussion, where people toss in their ideas. Here is Yet Another Game Idea:

The ES series by BSw. They are up to ES 6 at the time of this writing. I don't want to be that ambitious, but that series, and the Lord of the Test series (which is working on the Third Age, and should be amazing if the current LotT has any say), have inspired me to want a similar RPG with persistent RPG elements.

I have a rather large text file of all the things I want, and categories of things I will need to figure out. I don't expect a lot of help, and I'm not a team leader in the sense that I can lead a team for the year or so of people hours it will take to get this even off the ground. I'll be taking baby steps, hopefully the dev_game environment will be of great assistance as I tweak creature AI and trouble shoot nodes. I'll be scouring the forums for any code that can help, since my Lua coding ability is near null. But, thanks to my college C programming teacher, I can copy/paste better than most.

To the meat of it, I feel what's missing is a tethered story. And I think I've figured out a solution. Getting a quest from a character creates a set of data representing certain goals. One of that datum is a node location. Once the block containing that location is being built, the node is inserted and the 'waypoint' can be checked off the quest. Then, whatever are the other goals can be worked. I think finished a quest can be a combination or an option of either 'turning in' the quest to the questor, or just completing all the goals of the quest: bam, quest finished right there.

I was also considering making nodes of villages, towns, and cities of note. These could either be persistent with the player's saved data, or placed in an external file, or whatever actually works best. Again, I don't know. Like, if this is run on a server with a number of players, it would have to be part of the game package, right?

I have several ideas for mob changes, specifically zombies, adding in vampires, were-beasts, giant versions of small creatures (rodents, insects, etc.), 'living' fungi, etc. You know, the usual D&D faire. I know there are magic systems out there, so I would prefer to use something already created rather than building a 'wheel from scratch'. I also would like to not have money in this game, but bartering goods or services (read as: fetch quests) as an exchange. --[[ quick digression: in ST:TNG, bartering was a common thing for the Federation to use when they didn't have a form of currency compatible with the other party ]]--
How would a service work? I don't know. Maybe some part of the bartering interface are conversation topics you've picked up along the way (re: ES 1, 2, 3) and following one of those threads leads the questor to 'needing a service' which the player can then select, do the quest, then retrieve the barter.

So, is there an underlying story? Sure, why not. There could be plots all over the place, but they only run when the player is in the block area. A little clunky, to be sure. But a set of datum could hold certain triggers for certain areas, allowing for conversation flags to be checked. Why not also generate post-boards for players and npcs to add papers with writing? Some of these can have very generic quests, requiring the player first talk with the questor.

This sounds way too busy and big a project to even think about bogging down the game engine with, but my problem with programming ideas is just that. I want to do all the things, but generally don't know how, or even if, it's possible. And yet, I still dream big.

One question which could increase the immersion of the game: is there a way to have the character rotated along their relative x and y axis outside of the player's control? I know they can be teleported, lifted, shifted, and dropped, but none of that includes banking (rotation on the y axis). I'm going to be testing every little idea I have to see if there is a possibility of an idea to happen. I have so many ideas.

Thanks for reading, and if you respond, thank you for your criticism!

e: PS: a bit o' tongue-in-cheek would be nice, also, since I've named the folder Dagrons and Demesnes :D

e: PPS: I've discovered difficulty using epic, but found a separate 'quest' api. Also going to look into the builtin waypoint function. I think that's what's used to display bones locations. coming up with different problems to work on; kinda fun!
Spoiler
cdb_b7c7e951d406