Split RMB functions into two different keybindings.

Stix
IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

Split RMB functions into two different keybindings.

by Stix » Post

One of the most annoying controls to use in minetest is the RMB, and the reason is that it tries to cover 2 different functions at once, and ends up forcing players to use key-combos for basic functions.

More specifically the RMB has the functions use: use item/node in hand, and interact: interact with pointed object. Because of this when you go and try to build a block onto a interact'able object, you cant just use the RMB because both functions use it, so you are forced to use a key combo (shift + RMB) to use one of the most basic functions in the game!

So i request that the functions use and interact, be separated into two separate keybindings. They could still be both binded to the RMB by default, but since they would be separate players could map them to two different keys.
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.

12Me21
GitHub: 12Me21

Re: Split RMB functions into two different keybindings.

by 12Me21 » Post

I think it might be better to have:
"interact/use" (default: right click)
"use" (default: shift+right click)
"interact" (default: none)
That way you're not forced to use shift.

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

In Voxelands, you have rightclick for building and the F key for interacting (i.e. opening chest, furnace, sign text editor, etc.). It's simple and works.

Stix
IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

by Stix » Post

Wuzzy wrote:In Voxelands, you have rightclick for building and the F key for interacting (i.e. opening chest, furnace, sign text editor, etc.). It's simple and works.
Yeah, the F key is exactly what i would bind it to, as many games i've played used that key as interact, so i'm used to it (it's also quite comfortable).
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.