HowTo: Configure 7 default items in minetest.conf?

abdutron

HowTo: Configure 7 default items in minetest.conf?

by abdutron » Post

Hello,

First I would like to thank everybody here for the great support.

I am building a Minetest4Scrum gameplay in order to teach Scrum to people in my company, based on the game.

As most of the players will be absolute beginners, I have made things as easy as possible.

Using the minetest.conf file on the client side, I have managed to set all the default parameters and get the best possible experience.

There is one last point I could not solve which concerns the items: opening the inventory and choosing among items is already too complex for many people discovering the game during the training.

So I was wondering: is there a way so when a player join the game, he/she automatically gets 7 default items selected onscreen is the shortcuts at the bottom of the screen?

That and preventing access to the inventory could:
- Enhance creativity of the players
- Drastically reduce complexity

Thank you,
Stéphane

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

Re: HowTo: Configure 7 default items in minetest.conf?

by Krock » Post

Assuming you're using (or a variation of) Minetest Game.

Adding this setting to your server's minetest.conf will give newly registered players the specified list of items: https://github.com/minetest/minetest_ga ... xt#L22-L24
Example:

Code: Select all

give_initial_stuff = default:torch 20,default:mese 2,default:pick_steel
"But how can I figure out the names I need to put there?"
-> Enable "tooltip_append_itemname" in your client and look at the item tooltips.
Reference: https://github.com/minetest/minetest/bl ... #L847-L848

However, if these items should be persistent (i.e. always given to players on join), you'll need a separate mod that does it for you.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

abdutron

by abdutron » Post

Hello Krock,

Thank you that's exactly what I needed.

I will post my settings when I will have got all working fine, if it may help others with the same need.

Stéphane

freefall

by freefall » Post

abdutron wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 15:16
I will post my settings when I will have got all working fine, if it may help others with the same need.
I would be very interested to see your setup, as I‘m doing the same at the moment.

Have fun,

freefall

abdutron

by abdutron » Post

Hello Freefall,

We have a first Scrum training session based on Minetest at the end of this month. It will probably make us do some last improvements on the setup.

I can publish here or on Github all the configuration files then if you might be interested.

Have fun too!

Stéphane