A "visible in the dark" node selection box thing?

Grubler
In-game: Grubler

A "visible in the dark" node selection box thing?

by Grubler » Post

I am not sure if it is currently possible to mod something into the game or not that makes it so when you are looking at a thing around you it shows something that can be seen in the dark, but I think it would be pretty helpful as a sort of "feeling your way around" option when in really dark places, otherwise it may be sort of hard to find your way out without a light source and stuff. Not sure if it is possible and not sure if this is the right place to try to mention this idea, but uh... yeah?
(Oh, also, I am not sure if it is possible to change the range of your "reach" if you know what I mean? Like how many spaces away from you the selection box thing can affect other things and stuff. Okay if I throw that in? Sort of related.. Alrighty then, thanks for hearing me out and stuff, I guess!)

pampogokiraly
In-game: i_love_mesecon

Re: A "visible in the dark" node selection box thing?

by pampogokiraly » Post

I set my selection box color to white.

Just search for "selection box color" in the settings and change it to 255,255,255
All praise the Bacon God! The one and only god in MineTest

Grubler

by Grubler » Post

I did that, but it gets darker with light level and just becomes black in lowest light. Doesn't stay visible.

pampogokiraly

by pampogokiraly » Post

Grubler wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 21:03
I did that, but it gets darker with light level and just becomes black in lowest light. Doesn't stay visible.
It is quite buggy.
For me it is white at light level 1, Its black at around light level 2-5, and then its white again above 5.

I don't think there are other ways to achive what you want... you could maybe try the other type of selection box. I haven't tried that out yet

Grubler

by Grubler » Post

I am not sure what you mean by light levels, but I have tried the other selection box types and none of them are visible in the dark.

I was thinking maybe mentioning this in a "feature" section may be like suggesting the addition of something that may make it possible in the future since people may say it may not be possible at the moment.

I was wondering if something could be created around whatever thing you may be looking at, perhaps. Like a mod, if possible. I don't know enough about modding this game to know if it may be possible or not.

pampogokiraly

by pampogokiraly » Post

Grubler wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 08:47
I was wondering if something could be created around whatever thing you may be looking at, perhaps. Like a mod, if possible. I don't know enough about modding this game to know if it may be possible or not.
For that you can use the debug feature (press F5). It will display lots of info about stuff above your chat. One of those info is what are you currently looking at.

Also you can download the mod "worldedit hud helper", which displays what are you looking at above your toolbar.
Or there is the replacer mod which has a "node inspector tool" item, that can be used to get information about the block that you clicked on.

Grubler

by Grubler » Post

I suppose that may possibly be some kind of option... but it still may not show exactly where the thing is.. I may have to try that.. but you do understand what I am getting at, right?

(I tried out the F5 method, and it could maybe be a little bit helpful in some situations, but if you are in total darkness and have no idea where you are, it seems like a pretty tough method to try to tell what your orientation may be. It sort of may only tell you if there is something there or not in a pretty big distance that is the length of your reach. Maybe there are other ways to use that information, but I haven't found out yet.
... Actually, I looked again and it seems "pitch" and "yaw" seems to help orient you, so maybe it may be more helpful than assumed at first. So thanks. Though still may not be as convenient as my suggested idea, but I don't really know.
... On second thought, I was trying it out some more and tried to find my way out of a dark room in a dungeon, and it seemed very unlikely that I would actually find my way out with all the walls and twisting and turning hallways and doorways. At least it seemed to be very difficult.)

Skamiz Kazzarch
GitHub: Skamiz
In-game: Skamiz

by Skamiz Kazzarch » Post

I wrote you a mod: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26903

Grubler

by Grubler » Post

I replied in that thread. I wouldn't want a mod to only be for me, for sure. Haha. I would hope some idea could be enjoyable to more people than just me, of course. But it is interesting, what you have tried so far. Thank you very much.

pampogokiraly

by pampogokiraly » Post

Grubler wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 00:28
I suppose that may possibly be some kind of option... but it still may not show exactly where the thing is.. I may have to try that.. but you do understand what I am getting at, right?

(I tried out the F5 method, and it could maybe be a little bit helpful in some situations, but if you are in total darkness and have no idea where you are, it seems like a pretty tough method to try to tell what your orientation may be. It sort of may only tell you if there is something there or not in a pretty big distance that is the length of your reach. Maybe there are other ways to use that information, but I haven't found out yet.
... Actually, I looked again and it seems "pitch" and "yaw" seems to help orient you, so maybe it may be more helpful than assumed at first. So thanks. Though still may not be as convenient as my suggested idea, but I don't really know.
... On second thought, I was trying it out some more and tried to find my way out of a dark room in a dungeon, and it seemed very unlikely that I would actually find my way out with all the walls and twisting and turning hallways and doorways. At least it seemed to be very difficult.)
I still suggest you trying out the "worldedit hud helper".
As an another option (which isn't exactly what are you looking for) is a mod that makes light sources light up in your hand