No longer a way to check if player is online?

PolySaken
GitHub: PolySaken-I-Am
In-game: PolySaken

No longer a way to check if player is online?

by PolySaken » Post

player:is_player_connected() doesn't seem to exist any more, and I can't find any alternatives in lua_api.txt. Is it still possible to determine whether a player is online? If so, how?
Guidebook Lib, for in-game docs | Poly Decor, some cool blocks | Vision Lib, an all-purpose library.

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

Re: No longer a way to check if player is online?

by twoelk » Post

minetest.get_connected_players() maybe?

PolySaken

by PolySaken » Post

twoelk wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 09:20
minetest.get_connected_players() maybe?
Oh that seems to work, although it seems very hacky just to check if one particular player is online
Guidebook Lib, for in-game docs | Poly Decor, some cool blocks | Vision Lib, an all-purpose library.

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

This is how I check if a player is online:

local player_name = "steve"
local player = minetest.get_player_by_name(player_name)
if not player then print(player_name .. " isnt online") end

PolySaken

by PolySaken » Post

I guess i'll have to use one of these hacky methods. any idea why the original method was removed?

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

I don't recall is_player_connected ever existing, maybe it was in an early 0.4 version

The correct way to do this is to use minetest.get_player_by_name(name). This isn't hacky but is a well defined part of the API
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

PolySaken

by PolySaken » Post

rubenwardy wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 23:24
I don't recall is_player_connected ever existing, maybe it was in an early 0.4 version

The correct way to do this is to use minetest.get_player_by_name(name). This isn't hacky but is a well defined part of the API
it definitely did exist, it was the backbone of my old mod ocular networks' power system lol

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

PolySaken wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 02:27
it definitely did exist, it was the backbone of my old mod ocular networks' power system lol
OK, searching the commit history, is_player_connected() was added in 2013 (0.4.7) but never documented. You shouldn't use undocumented functions as they can be removed or changed without warning

If you have a object, you can see if it is expired (unloaded, removed, or the player left) by checking whether object:get_pos() is nil. This will have the exact same behaviour as is_player_connected() did, but I don't think it's a nice way to to it. Using get_player_by_name(name) method is the better way to consistently check as it works without a player object

Hello profile reader

PolySaken

by PolySaken » Post

rubenwardy wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 09:13
PolySaken wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 02:27
OK, searching the commit history, is_player_connected() was added in 2013 (0.4.7) but never documented. You shouldn't use undocumented functions as they can be removed or changed without warning

If you have a object, you can see if it is expired (unloaded, removed, or the player left) by checking whether object:get_pos() is nil. This will have the exact same behaviour as is_player_connected() did, but I don't think it's a nice way to to it. Using get_player_by_name(name) method is the better way to consistently check as it works without a player object
Didn't the dev wiki count as 'documented'? cause that's the only way I'd have known of it.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

PolySaken wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:04
Didn't the dev wiki count as 'documented'? cause that's the only way I'd have known of it.
No, the dev wiki doesn't count as official documentation. It also should have never been documented in the dev wiki.

Hello profile reader

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Sadly, I still have not found a way to mass-delete pages on MediaWiki which is why those pages about the Lua API are horribly outdated. The Dev Wiki is not only not official, it is, when it comes to the Lua API, also outright misleading.
Because I am definitely not manually deleting each offending page. Plus, I don't think I have the rights for that anyway.

Is there at least a way to auto-delete each MediaWiki page within a certain category? Because every offending page is part of a certain category.

Oh, if you say "Write a bot." I'm not going to do it. Way too risky it'll go horribly wrong.

I believe there are plugins for that, I guess, but those need to be installed by the admin first. :-(

BTW: The ONLY official Lua API documentation is the file "doc/lua_api.txt" in your Minetest installation.

Edit: I've now added a red warning on the main page of the Dev Wiki. Still not the real solution, but I hope it will be seen.

Edit 2: If any admin is reading this, I've made a list of what needs to be done to clean up the mess: https://dev.minetest.net/MinetestWiki:L ... on_Cleanup

PolySaken

by PolySaken » Post

I know the wiki is no longer official, but i was under the impression that it used to be.

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

PolySaken wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 07:19
I know the wiki is no longer official, but i was under the impression that it used to be.
the basic problem is not official, then more if not actual or accurate.
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

PolySaken

by PolySaken » Post

Wuzzy wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 06:06
Sadly, I still have not found a way to mass-delete pages on MediaWiki which is why those pages about the Lua API are horribly outdated. The Dev Wiki is not only not official, it is, when it comes to the Lua API, also outright misleading.
Because I am definitely not manually deleting each offending page. Plus, I don't think I have the rights for that anyway.

Is there at least a way to auto-delete each MediaWiki page within a certain category? Because every offending page is part of a certain category.

Oh, if you say "Write a bot." I'm not going to do it. Way too risky it'll go horribly wrong.

I believe there are plugins for that, I guess, but those need to be installed by the admin first. :-(

BTW: The ONLY official Lua API documentation is the file "doc/lua_api.txt" in your Minetest installation.

Edit: I've now added a red warning on the main page of the Dev Wiki. Still not the real solution, but I hope it will be seen.

Edit 2: If any admin is reading this, I've made a list of what needs to be done to clean up the mess: https://dev.minetest.net/MinetestWiki:L ... on_Cleanup
the only extant method of mass-deleting pages is a plugin called DeleteBatch that requires PHP editing of the wiki source