What's Minetest still missing over Minecraft?

Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

Re: What's Minetest still missing over Minecraft?

by Festus1965 » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 07:06
Since Microsoft's TOS allow worldwide lifetime banning of players basing on a single moderator being pissed it's no surprise that everyone is super nice.
So my 2 years old Idea seam to be worth expanding: banned.minetest.one,
and so I declare THIS is missing in Minestest over Minecraft !

As I strongly thought today to use ~900 Baht to register also my Minecraft (account) and join her.

Last two days we did the trial server with LAN for this 100 minutes together, but it is so short ... now we know where to get fast coal, iron, and today got it until red-stone, diamond, gold ... but all lost every time. hmmm
Last edited by Festus1965 on Wed May 12, 2021 07:13, edited 1 time in total.
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Festus1965 wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 07:10
So my 2 years old Idea seam to be worth expanding: banned.minetest.one,
Oh hell no! Global banning is the most awful thing possible. It's also useless as long as there is no mandatory central registration for player accounts.

PolySaken
GitHub: PolySaken-I-Am
In-game: PolySaken

by PolySaken » Post

The article says it's for 'all versions' of minecraft, but in reality it only affects bedrock since Java edition is almost entirely private servers.
The real reason everyone's nice on MC is... uh.. they aren't nice at all actually...
Guidebook Lib, for in-game docs | Poly Decor, some cool blocks | Vision Lib, an all-purpose library.

cy

by cy » Post

How about movement of player models? Minecraft player models seem to have smooth physics of falling and jumping and stuff, without a lot of warping around. In contrast, even the most sophisticated player models in Minetest I've seen have a walking animation and then just sort of jerkily glide across the ground.

I'm not sure how minecraft does it, but I assume it's by having a lot more client side calculations, instead of needing a ton of round trip communication with the server for every movement. That's probably also how they get objects and mobs to follow flowing water. But I dunno minecraft enough to understand how they do it.

Shnikety

by Shnikety » Post

Eh, who cares, not me. I'd rather Minetest does its own thing anyways.

u34

by u34 » Post

minetest is great for its variety of mods, texture packs and games.

DOOM_possum
In-game: DOOM_possum

by DOOM_possum » Post

minetest is almost a complete package, with plenty of MAPGEN configurations, and ways to expand Your Experience, with complex, handcrafted MODS, like The Village People, or mountains in the clouds, the trick, is knowing The Day, You need to sort out the product, to give You a competitive edge, over even better additions, You can Find Here

DOOM_possum
In-game: DOOM_possum

by DOOM_possum » Post

the v7 is a powerful engine, and allows for advanced coding properties, for finding what You need, and getting further into the creation process, and focuses heavily on mesecon, which with any map generation You are going to play, is going to be the main source of advancement, even with most MODS

MHL
GitHub: MCLx86
IRC: MCL
In-game: singleplayer

by MHL » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:
Festus1965 wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 02:20
I guess, that might be as of people have to pay, and paying people might have for reasonable behavior as otherwise loos the investment.
Since Microsoft's TOS allow worldwide lifetime banning of players basing on a single moderator being pissed it's no surprise that everyone is super nice.

https://www.minecraft.net/en-us/article ... -minecraft

But one thing I really miss is how polished Minecraft is compared to Minetest.
Luckily, that only applies to the non-PC (Playstation, Xbox, Android, etc.) and the C# Windows 10 version, not the original Java version.
I have been less active on the forums lately. (I am working on PogoBijoux!)

PolySaken
GitHub: PolySaken-I-Am
In-game: PolySaken

by PolySaken » Post

MHL wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 22:34
Linuxdirk wrote:
Festus1965 wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 02:20
I guess, that might be as of people have to pay, and paying people might have for reasonable behavior as otherwise loos the investment.

Luckily, that only applies to the non-PC (Playstation, Xbox, Android, etc.) and the C# Windows 10 version, not the original Java version.
It also only applies to 'realms' and participating servers on those platforms, not to privately hosted servers or LAN games. I believe it also applies to Java Realms.
Guidebook Lib, for in-game docs | Poly Decor, some cool blocks | Vision Lib, an all-purpose library.

MHL
GitHub: MCLx86
IRC: MCL
In-game: singleplayer

by MHL » Post

PolySaken wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 02:21
MHL wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 22:34
Linuxdirk wrote:

It also only applies to 'realms' and participating servers on those platforms, not to privately hosted servers or LAN games. I believe it also applies to Java Realms.

These tools are meant to help ensure that all our players can continue feeling as safe as possible within Minecraft and Realms on Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Switch, Windows 10, iOS, and Android.
No mention of the original Java version.
I have been less active on the forums lately. (I am working on PogoBijoux!)

mathiaswolfgang

by mathiaswolfgang » Post

Water: I can still remember very well my first steps in Minecraft. First, I was proud when my first farm produced grain, which I processed into bread. I found out that water makes the grain and the seeds drop and that both float on water. With this knowledge, I rebuilt my farm. Now all I had to do was flip a switch and the water would automatically harvest the grain and seed and put them in a box. I had to bring the seed back to the field and had saved a step.
But what was even better and no longer works in the new Minecraft was the boat channel. I built endless stretches and just let my river drift with the current. In the beginning out of necessity. I didn't have any iron for the rails yet. Later because it was really fun. I built slides into my system. And a traffic light system. All this was only possible thanks to Minecraft water.

El_Naso
In-game: El_Naso

by El_Naso » Post

I've given this some thought.

I believe what Minetest is missing that Minecraft has been championing for a decade is cuteness. The mobs behave in cute ways, the animations are cute, the soundtrack is cute, even the scary things are cute.

Now, Minetest doesn't need to be cute specifically (though personally, I'd steer it in that direction), but I do think it needs an identity. A core concept other than a blank canvas. A compass. When I look at Minecraft mods, I see modders going the extra mile to make things fit with the game. What I see happening in Minetest is everyone heading off in different directions and making things that don't necessarily fit well together. What do we want Minetest to be? I believe we need to ask ourselves that question and have the answer clearly in mind as we develop content for the game.

Just an artist's point of view.

LMD
GitHub: appgurueu
IRC: appguru[eu]
In-game: LMD

by LMD » Post

El_Naso wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:46
I've given this some thought.

I believe what Minetest is missing that Minecraft has been championing for a decade is cuteness. The mobs behave in cute ways, the animations are cute, the soundtrack is cute, even the scary things are cute.

Now, Minetest doesn't need to be cute specifically (though personally, I'd steer it in that direction), but I do think it needs an identity. A core concept other than a blank canvas. A compass. When I look at Minecraft mods, I see modders going the extra mile to make things fit with the game. What I see happening in Minetest is everyone heading off in different directions and making things that don't necessarily fit well together. What do we want Minetest to be? I believe we need to ask ourselves that question and have the answer clearly in mind as we develop content for the game.

Just an artist's point of view.
We want Minetest to be an engine. It may not have an identity and must allow "heading in different directions". It must be a blank canvas (and currently there's actually way too much preventing it from being a blank canvas, way too much hardcoded behavior). Minecraft is a game, Minetest is not. Individual games for the Minetest engine must have identities, the Minetest engine must not have one.

Note: Do not confuse Minetest with Minetest Game. Minetest Game is the default game and will also eventually need an identity (or be gotten rid of, I'm not quite sure).
My stuff: Projects - Mods - Website

ChristienChapman

by ChristienChapman » Post

Nether dimension. Hunger Games minigame.
God bless you.

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
In-game: Blockhead

by Blockhead » Post

ChristienChapman wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 15:25
Nether dimension.
ChristienChapman wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 15:25
Hunger Games minigame.
  • Hungry Games - Hunger Games minigame. May not work on Minetest 5, haven't tried it.
There, that wasn't too difficult to find either.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My mod: Foodblocks