hardware requirements for shadows

firefox
In-game: Red_Fox

hardware requirements for shadows

by firefox » Post

what are the hardware requirements for the new shadows?
i was so exited to play with them, but even on the lowest quality the lag makes the game pretty much unplayable.
(using a laptop with AMD Radeon graphics)
✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨

Komodo
GitHub: MeseCraft
In-game: Komodo

Re: hardware requirements for shadows

by Komodo » Post

I was curious about this too. I haven't messed with them yet. Using integrated Vega 10 graphics and have been wondering if the future will require a bit more oomph and if I should expect to upgrade my system. Talked to a friend about this a bit and he said they didn't run too bad on his integrated graphics. Would be interested in feedback also on shadows and shaders.
🌎 Website | 🌲 MeseCraft Game | 📰 News | 🖌️ ContentDB

lemonzest
IRC: lemonzest
In-game: lemonzest

by lemonzest » Post

Shadows on Very High/High even drop frames (below 60fps) on my machine So I drop to Medium (Linux/latest Mesa OpenGL)

Ryzen 7 3800X, Radeon RX 6600 XT, 48GB RAM, Fedora Linux 36

Edited Post to include some benchmarks , Semi Populated Mineclone2 world running around an area with some trees and mobs, Not very scientific

Render Distance 150
Resolution 2954x1662 scaled to 3840x2610 with gamescope

Time set to 16000 for lots of shadows

No Shaders 100-120
All Shaders Enabled 120-152 (??)

Very Low 80-112
Low 80-90
Medium 65-75
High 62-75
Very High 30-62
Last edited by lemonzest on Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:37, edited 4 times in total.

sirrobzeroone
GitHub: sirrobzeroone

by sirrobzeroone » Post

Not super scientific but I'm running an older Geforce GTX 965M (about 30% better performance on avg than Vega 10) - older i7 cpu not sure if that may also be helping?

All below just Shadows and Shaders no other fancy wavy leaves and water etc, Totally bland new world nil mobs:
  • No Shadows solid 46/47 FPS
  • Very low Shadows 43-46 FPS (dipped to 41 a few times)
  • Low Shadows 41-45 FPS (dipped to 39 a few times)
  • Medium Shadows 39 - 42 FPS (dipped to 36 a few times)
  • High Shadows 30 - 33 FPS(dipped to 29, yep that one works the old video card)
  • Very High Shadows 1-2 FPS yep checked that twice - Video card can't cope I'm guessing.
I actually like the look of Medium Shadows if I have them on, pretty sure if I turned on wavy leaves/wavy water and had a few mobs wandering about it would take more of an FPS hit.

Astrobe

by Astrobe » Post

I cannot answer the question directly, but I can suggest to go to "advanced settings" and search for "shadows", you'll find the relevant parameters. Some are not touched by the presets (e.g. Poisson disk, which creates more or less soft shadows).

I guess the main FPS killer could be the draw distance, because when you increase it you actually increase a (drawing) surface. But decreasing it will probably make shadows "pop" right before your eyes (1). But I can be wrong on this.

If someone has time to spare, it would be interesting to study the impact on FPS and visual quality for each setting.

I used to have a modest desktop AMD Radeon adapter and to struggle with custom settings to get the compromise FPS vs visual quality I could afford. Sometimes you can lower a parameter for a bunch of extra FPS and the visual difference is hardly noticeable.

(1) BTW a tip: if you see shadows getting a bit darker as you are closing in on them, make sure anisotropic filtering is on.

firefox
In-game: Red_Fox

by firefox » Post

turns out i actually have only ~15-20 FPS with my usual settings.
with shadows, even with all advanced settings reduced, it drops to 2 FPS.
guess i'll just cry in the corner and try to ignore that shadows exist.
✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨

c56
GitHub: tigercoding56
In-game: bm5 or bemo5 also sell_her_on55

by c56 » Post

shadows have no minimun requirement except that your gpu can support opengl even if the framerate is like 1 frame per minute ;-) i use a raspberry pi
this is a signature not a place to post messages also if i could change my username i would change it to sell_her_on55

Hybrid Dog
GitHub: HybridDog

by Hybrid Dog » Post

With Mesa, it's possible to use the CPU for OpenGL graphics (LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 environment variable) or Zink, which is OpenGL implemented with Vulkan (MESA_LOADER_DRIVER_OVERRIDE=zink environment variable). If you are curious you could compare the performance with these options, too.

‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪

ronoaldo
GitHub: ronoaldo
IRC: ronoaldo
In-game: RonoaldoKakashi

by ronoaldo » Post

I have adjusted two parameters based on developer suggestions as I was having some edge cases where the shadows were impacting too much (~1-2 FPS on heavy scenes with shadows at max).

After making these changes, I can sustain now around 40-60FPS with shadows on Very Hight, and on a scene which seems to trigger all possible rendering of it: my server spawn place. My hardware is "beefy" (Ryzen 9 5900X, Radeon RX 6800XT), but even with enough resources I was getting a very bad FPS rate sometimes.

The specific settings to try would be:
- shadow_update_frames = 16 # start with 16, then reduce a bit until you get good results without hurting the FPS
- shadow_map_max_distance = 80 # this resulted in good performance/visuals for me

Start with shadows at medium then adjust those settings to see if it helps for you all. I'm using viewing distance at 100-180 now, and to make it still interesting to play I set the fog start to 0.8/0.9 so it still looks immersive that way.
Servers: Mercurio | Tools: ContentDB CLI | Mods: minenews